2873 replies to this topic

#41 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

#1 - no way Zach doesn't wait until July 1st to see what offers are out there. That doesn't mean he will or will not re-sign, but it doesn't make sense not to wait 3 weeks.

#2 - if over 30+ guys like Richards, Briere, Marleau, Thornton, Heatley and Gaborik all have contracts/cap hits between $6.6 and $7.5, Zach's STARTING point is going to be $7.5 million. That's basically the market for a potential franchise guy who isn't even 28 yet.

#42 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

#1 - no way Zach doesn't wait until July 1st to see what offers are out there. That doesn't mean he will or will not re-sign, but it doesn't make sense not to wait 3 weeks.

#2 - if over 30+ guys like Richards, Briere, Marleau, Thornton, Heatley and Gaborik all have contracts/cap hits between $6.6 and $7.5, Zach's STARTING point is going to be $7.5 million. That's basically the market for a potential franchise guy who isn't even 28 yet.

This is just more evidence that the GMs and owners have no clue.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario were franchise guys in that if Jimmy Joe played on a line with them they got 50 goals. They were just better than everybody else -- pure and simple.

I like Zack, I like his style of play, and I really hope that he plays for the Devils his entire career but I don't see him as what some other team will see him as and throw the franchise net worth at him.

#43 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I like Zack, I like his style of play, and I really hope that he plays for the Devils his entire career but I don't see him as what some other team will see him as and throw the franchise net worth at him.

I agree w/ this. If we offer Zach 7 and he walks, Im okay with that as long as he leaves the division and preferably the conference.

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

What would a long offseason rumor thread be without a shout out to our pal Єklund (2.3% accurate). Evidently Zach's unhappy here and is almost certainly going to the Kings.

Mark it Dude.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#45 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

My philosophy concerning the older players is this: if there is a guy in the system that can offer you what the old vet is doing then I think its wrong to not bring them up. If you can't find a replacement for the old vet and he is willing to sign on and take a fair amount of money then I have no problem with him coming back. Is there a guy who can do as good or better than Sykora, if so then let him play, if not then keep Sykora.

I see this in baseball all of the time where a team will sign a vet to a large amount of money and he hits for nothing and just plays a decent defense. I'm sure a minor league guy can do that cheaper.

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

This is just more evidence that the GMs and owners have no clue.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario were franchise guys in that if Jimmy Joe played on a line with them they got 50 goals. They were just better than everybody else -- pure and simple.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux would almost certainly deserve maximum contracts if they played in this system. That's $14 million in this cap system.

People are balking at giving Zach Parise HALF the maximum and what several players get.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)
Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.000m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Ryan Carter ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($1.000m) / Steve Bernier ($1.000m)
Eric Boulton ($0.663m)

DEFENSEMEN
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($3.000m)
Peter Harrold ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)
Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS
Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,754,166; BONUSES: $262,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,545,834

I think this is a good starting point.

i do not see the devils essentially bringing back this entire team save salvador. that just doesn't happen even if you have NO ufa's. triumph is correct that this is likely too high w/ a big kovalchuk year. i think at most, 2 of the four of carter, gionta, bernier, and ponikarovski re-sign. I also think marty's money is tough to peg because he's going to basically take what the team can afford. he will be anywhere from $2.5mm - $5mm based on what the team can do. he knows that he's basically getting paid by the devils for the rest of his life anyway in some role or another.

If push comes to shove could they trade Zidlicky? I also think Fayne gets less than $3 million.

they are not trading zidlicky and fayne might get less if lou plays hardball and takes him to arbitration but that would not be wise. 3/9 for fayne would be a superb deal. he is better than johnny oduya.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#48 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Wowww the Parise watch can officially begin.

I'm glad we won't be bored this offseason

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#49 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux would almost certainly deserve maximum contracts if they played in this system. That's $14 million in this cap system.

People are balking at giving Zach Parise HALF the maximum and what several players get.

I don't think that there is a guy in the league today who should earn half of what Gretzky and Lemieux would get.

#50 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

to be fair, i don't think ANY player will ever get a true maximum contract without cap shenanigans so you have to put that in perspective. crosby is looking at a 10/90 deal and if his scrambled brain doesn't scare them, he's getting it. that's not a max/max deal. so i don't want to look at it in terms of "half the max".

you're right other players get that but let's be honest - what players with a cap hit of $7MM would you say are truly earning that:

YY1. Ovechkin, Alex » F WAS 26 13 $9,538,462
YY2. Malkin, Evgeni » F PIT 25 5 $8,700,000
YY3. Crosby, Sidney » F PIT 24 5 $8,700,000
NN4. Staal, Eric » F CAR 27 7 $8,250,000
NN5. Nash, Rick » F CLB 27 8 $7,800,000
NN6. Lecavalier, Vincent » F TBL 32 11 $7,727,273
NN7. Heatley, Dany » F MIN 31 6 $7,500,000
NN8. Gaborik, Marian » F NYR 30 5 $7,500,000
YY9. Stamkos, Steven » F TBL 22 5 $7,500,000
NN10. Gomez, Scott » F MTL 32 7 $7,357,143
NN11. Campbell, Brian » D FLA 33 8 $7,142,875
NN12. Vanek, Thomas » F BUF 28 7 $7,142,857
YM13. Spezza, Jason » F OTT 28 7 $7,000,000
NN14. Iginla, Jarome » F CGY 34 5 $7,000,000
YM15. Thornton, Joe » F SAN 32 3 $7,000,000
YY16. Doughty, Drew » D LAK 22 8 $7,000,000
NA17. Rinne, Pekka » G NAS 29 7 $7,000,000
YY18. Chara, Zdeno » D BOS 35 7 $6,916,667

The two letters before the number answer two questions:
1) are they worth the cap hit? Y/N
2) are they better than parise? Y/N/Maybe

There are 8 of 17 (ignore rinne) who are, in my opinion, worth that money and better than parise. there are also a ton of guys who make less than $7MM that are better than him too. But this is a free agent market so it's irrelevant as to what he will get. The point is what is he worth in the grand scheme based on everything else out there. i think the most fair deal for everyone where neither side feels like they're playing for too little or paying for not enough lies somewhere around 6/40. Obviously he will blow by that. My point is that his game is one that is based off a motor. He does not possess natural skills of Kovalchuk or Spezza or Crosby - that when a he loses a step, he's more than a 3rd liner. When Parise loses a step, he's going to be the equivalent of the best that Ponikarovski was this year. When Kovalchuk loses a step, he's going to be the guy from early in the playoffs who was still dangerous but at about 75% (not the guy in the finals who was gone and about 20%).

I think it was MacIsaac who saw concerns that Parise could see a drury like decline and that's scary to be on the hook for it.

Edited by sundstrom, 12 June 2012 - 04:22 PM.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#51 Toaster13

Toaster13

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I believe Parise will wait until July 1st and see what other teams offer him. I also don't see him rushing his decision and signing a contract the first day. He'll wait a few days and make up his mind. The other teams trying to sign him will wait for his decision so that's not a problem for Zach. I ultimately think he'll sign with the Devils. I'm feeling he'll sign something close to an 8 year $56 Million contract. Hopefully Lou gets it done! :koolaid:
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

#52 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

When guys like Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are around 8-9M that effectively puts the max around that same number. Stamkos is at 7,5M.. He's lightyears ahead of Zach in talent and potential game-deciding plays. Granted; he'd probably have gotten 9M if he was a UFA this summer. :P

Realistically we're probably looking at 7M (or more) a year if we wanna keep him here, the question is just; Is he really worth that much? :o

Edited by njdevsftw, 12 June 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Posted Image

#53 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

I believe Parise will wait until July 1st and see what other teams offer him. I also don't see him rushing his decision and signing a contract the first day. He'll wait a few days and make up his mind. The other teams trying to sign him will wait for his decision so that's not a problem for Zach. I ultimately think he'll sign with the Devils. I'm feeling he'll sign something close to an 8 year $56 Million contract. Hopefully Lou gets it done! :koolaid:

I wonder if he'll set it up like Richards and have the teams come to him to make their sales pitch.

#54 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Why are we speculating? Just ask Phillydev.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#55 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Why are we speculating? Just ask Phillydev.

hahahaha :hail:

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#56 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Why do people think that because of 1 good playoff year Gionta's going to be making a dime over 800k? He barely played in the regular season.

I also think 3m for Fayne is soaring a bit

and with the depth a young defense in the midst there is no telling that Fayne is in their long term plans. Giving the guy that kind of money is asinine.

#57 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

I think the Devils can keep Fayne for less than 3 million per as an RFA hopefully easily, but I think Fayne is "worth" 3 million per. He'll be much better than whatever dman the Devils could get as UFA for 3 million, baring an Ian Whiteesque favorable contract coming from nowhere.

The more I think about it, after the dust settles on the season and the offers come in, the Devils won't be able to compete. Zach is just such a stereotypical GM's wet dream as a player, some GM is going to offer something that just blows the Devils away. I was amazed at Drury's contract, and that was 8 years ago for an inferior player. Too many teams with too much cap space (baring drastic CBA changes). I know Zach cares about winning and blah blah blah but an extra 20 million dollars can change your mind pretty easily.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 12 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

to be fair, i don't think ANY player will ever get a true maximum contract without cap shenanigans so you have to put that in perspective. crosby is looking at a 10/90 deal and if his scrambled brain doesn't scare them, he's getting it. that's not a max/max deal. so i don't want to look at it in terms of "half the max".

you're right other players get that but let's be honest - what players with a cap hit of $7MM would you say are truly earning that:

There are 8 of 17 (ignore rinne) who are, in my opinion, worth that money and better than parise. there are also a ton of guys who make less than $7MM that are better than him too. But this is a free agent market so it's irrelevant as to what he will get. The point is what is he worth in the grand scheme based on everything else out there. i think the most fair deal for everyone where neither side feels like they're playing for too little or paying for not enough lies somewhere around 6/40. Obviously he will blow by that. My point is that his game is one that is based off a motor. He does not possess natural skills of Kovalchuk or Spezza or Crosby - that when a he loses a step, he's more than a 3rd liner. When Parise loses a step, he's going to be the equivalent of the best that Ponikarovski was this year. When Kovalchuk loses a step, he's going to be the guy from early in the playoffs who was still dangerous but at about 75% (not the guy in the finals who was gone and about 20%).

I think it was MacIsaac who saw concerns that Parise could see a drury like decline and that's scary to be on the hook for it.

The problem with going by cap hits is that a lot of those guys signed in markets where they're not cap teams, so front-loading and the like are just not concerns. It's all about dollars to the player. A lot of them were also signed pre front loading.

As I was just reminded, superstar players are almost always great value - the question is, how long can Parise stay at this level of play - if you bet on half the contract length, whatever it turns out to be, I think you've got a win there.

For Parise, I think assuming that they can assume the 35+ rule is still in place, he will want either a 7 year or 12 year contract. So the question is, are they comfortable going out 12 years and would they be comfortable with handing him somewhere between 72 million and 84 million dollars.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#59 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well if sundstrom's source is right obviously it's a fait accompli he's going to July 1. I just hope the agents don't have the final say then.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#60 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Saw this on HF Boards so take it for what it's worth "NJDevilsArmyBlog ‏@DevilsArmyBlog
Zach Parise left the Prudential Center today to chants of "come back Zach!" and told a few fans " dont worry."

http://hfboards.hock...1206223&page=13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users