Canadians Tell Gomez to Stay Home

NJDevils1214

im sure Gomez would be willing to sign REALLY CHEAP considering he's getting his full paycheck from MTL and that he has stuff to prove to the whole league

He's not getting his full paycheck - he's getting 2/3rds.

Someone will probably offer more money but there's really not a better spot to go right now if you're a forward.

and that he has stuff to prove to the whole league

You would hope, but I'm not sure Gomez is wired that way. Can he have that FU attitude where he's going to prove the world wrong(and get paid decently big bucks again) or will he continue to be laid back and enjoy the millions he has, never really knowing where his NHL caliber play disappeared to?

I am absolutely fine with Gomez coming here on the super cheap. If its no risk to us, and he's willing to be humble, why not? He got a big head, was immature, and is now being treated like trash. If he came here and scored 30-40 points for us for 1 mil per, thats a steal.

Holik went to the Rags and his return was not wholly unwelcome and he basically presents himself as a Devil now.

How has Gomez been on faceoffs the last few years? I havent watched him at all except for the times the Habs have played us. He could be an upgrade in that department as Zajac seemed to be the only guy capable of winning one for long stretches last season.

#CBA Players like Redden/Gomez will not become UFAs until team waives them and they clear waivers

ok so a team would have to pick him off waivers? then i don't think we'll have a chance to get him since we'd be 29th in priority

thats how it works right?

Edited by SterioDesign

#CBA Players like Redden/Gomez will not become UFAs until team waives them and they clear waivers

ok so a team would have to pick him off waivers? then i don't think we'll have a chance to get him since we'd be 29th in priority

thats how it works right?

They'll waive those guys, so that they end up in the minors, then buy them out, then the players are free agents. Once the players are free agents they can sign anywhere they want.

If a team picked them up off of waivers they'd be stuck with the original contracts and cap hits.

Didnt darche say that gomez told him to go to the devils if they called? apperently he spoke really highly of us so maybe he does want to come back. i would take him back

Yea he said both Gomez and Gionta told him this was a good place for him.

There were rumors last year that Gomez had told people close to him that he'd gladly go to Jersey again if he could. Just a rumor, of course, but it isn't impossible.

The Devils are in a good position. Gomez needs them way more than they need him. The could definitely get him on the cheap if it comes to that.

Part of me hopes so because it'd be hilarious like when Holik signed back with us. We're screw though if we are counting on him to be a 2nd line center

I dont think anyone would be counting on him for anything. It'd be giving him a chance at no risk to us. I think he'd be lucky to start on the 3rd line at best.

Gomez's ability to see the ice and open slots for passes is natural for him and is something we were missing even last year at times. I also think the fact he was in real pressure cookers (like Montreal) affected him severely. I have no sympathy for him at all, but I think if there's any chance for Gomez to salvage his career, its probably here or another place where there is very little pressure.

He got a stupid contract offer from our biggest rival and ran for it. It happens in all sports. Its just a matter of a fan and being willing to forgive or not.

As much as it pains me to see it happen, this is the typical Lou move...pickup a known quantity for a cheap price. He COULD be a good complimentary player on the second or third line, and it will give us some depth at F where we clearly need it. It also would allow us to keep the 4th line intact and keep Cam/Barsch out of the lineup on a regular basis, which is a win-win for all.

Plus, it would be nice to see Gomez come back with his tail completely between his legs. If it makes the team better, then I say go for it.

What I don't get is where is the Habs' motivation to even do this? They don't save a dime by buying him out early.

I think the Rangers would buy out Redden anyway just because he's been the good soldier there for two years playing in the minors, but I don't see the motivation for the Habs to let Gomez go free unless there's something in this amendment I'm missing.

• Like 1

What I don't get is where is the Habs' motivation to even do this? They don't save a dime by buying him out early.

I think the Rangers would buy out Redden anyway just because he's been the good soldier there for two years playing in the minors, but I don't see the motivation for the Habs to let Gomez go free unless there's something in this amendment I'm missing.

I'm no expert on this stuff by any means, but don't they save more money if they buy him out now? If they hold on to him for the full year and scratch him every game, they are paying him is full contract value to do nothing. If they buy him out now they only pay a percentage of it, I think.

The Habs have no real reason to do it. It doesn't benefit them at all, unless they are worried he get injured walking to the store on the icy street of Anchorage at some point before they can buy him out at the end of the year. However, it is the classy move and I wouldn't put it past Montreal to do the right thing and get rid of him now when they have no need for him and are going to buy out his contract anyways.

I'm no expert on this stuff by any means, but don't they save more money if they buy him out now? If they hold on to him for the full year and scratch him every game, they are paying him is full contract value to do nothing. If they buy him out now they only pay a percentage of it, I think.

I thought I read that they still have to pay him the full amount of his deal for this season if they buy out the contract now.

The TSN experts on Twitter said its a 100% buyout no discount like the original 2 summer ones are. Montreal doesn't have to do it, but it would be more in the "spirit of the CBA" thing that spurred the quick revision and complaint from NHLPA.

I guess like someone else said their only real motivation is if he falls down a stair and they can't buy him out, or does plyometrics or whatever it was that got Zajac hurt last year :P

The TSN experts on Twitter said its a 100% buyout no discount like the original 2 summer ones are. Montreal doesn't have to do it, but it would be more in the "spirit of the CBA" thing that spurred the quick revision and complaint from NHLPA.

Plus, the whole mess will simply be over for them and they can move on.

But, could you imagine the dirt on their face if they did do it now and he came here and had a huge half season. This is why I think they wait.