62 replies to this topic

#41 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

What bothers me the most about Steve is that EVERY SINGLE CLEAR ON A POWERPLAY is, a "big clear." aahhhhhh

Ughh and now im going to notice this from now on, thanks :lol:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#42 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

The problem with Steve is he's just not interesting. He just calls the action, that's it, and I often find myself just blocking him out and watching the game. Doc had some interesting story about just about any player at any time, and that's because he just loves the game. I'm sure Steve would go a Gary Thorne route if he was given the choice. He already calls Red Bull games and I'm sure if he got the chance he'd do basketball or baseball games. His Ranger love has all but disappeared over the years. I remember after the lockout every interview or story would evolve into a Ranger question or 1994 reference. I also don't like how he calls players by their nickname or first name, like "Zach passes it to Kovy" or "and Moose gobbles the puck up!" Yech. He and Chico have no flow, there isn't that good-natured ribbing like Doc and Chico used to have. It seems like as soon as the the cameras turn off Steve and Chico head their separate ways and don't talk till the next game. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound like they hate each other like Mike Miller and Randy Velischek sometimes did.

Having said all that, he's still better than I expected him to be, and I'm still willing to give him some time to settle into this role. If this board existed back in 1993, I bet there would have been an uproar when Doc replaced Thorne and look how that turned out.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#43 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Agree with many of the posts here - Steve is decent. When you watch the other 29 teams, you see that there are some great PBP guys (Strangis in Dallas, Bob Miller in LA, Randy Hahn in SJ, even Sam Rosen), and there are some awful ones (Jack Edwards, Steigerwald). Steve falls in the middle of the pack, and honestly will probably improve with time.

Apparently 18 years of Doc have spoiled many of you who despise Cangy. It could be much worse.

#44 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Agree with many of the posts here - Steve is decent. When you watch the other 29 teams, you see that there are some great PBP guys (Strangis in Dallas, Bob Miller in LA, Randy Hahn in SJ, even Sam Rosen), and there are some awful ones (Jack Edwards, Steigerwald). Steve falls in the middle of the pack, and honestly will probably improve with time.

Apparently 18 years of Doc have spoiled many of you who despise Cangy. It could be much worse.

This. I am one of those that hate Steve. Atleast he isnt hitting the self tanner as hard these days. I agree though, Doc has spoiled us.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

This. I am one of those that hate Steve. Atleast he isnt hitting the self tanner as hard these days. I agree though, Doc has spoiled us.

Like Z-Man said, it could be much worse and Cangi is actually not bad. Hell we could have ended up with Matt Loughlin moving from radio to tv pbp.

#46 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Steve isnt as bad as most people say he is. Yes he makes mistakes but who doesnt. Id still rather have him then sam rosen.

#47 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

As the late (and great) Richard Jeni once said, the television play by play guy really only needs to say "See that? So did I, back to you." So long as you don't make me hit the mute button, I can live with whomever. One thing that makes me do so are idiotic canned lines, Michael Kaye's "see-ya" or Chris Berman's "back, back, back". (John Sterling is absolutely gut-wrenching, but alas, he's radio so you're a captive audience). Others include Michael Kaye for telling the same story over and over again (have you heard that Kevin Yukilis was once referred to as the Greek God of Walks, just in case you missed the last 5000 times you've been reminded about it in the past) or when he repeatedly misuses the word ironic (Mikey, it's merely a "coincidence" that CC Sabathia once pitched for Indians and now he's pitching against them on a particular evening).

And with Chico being a homer, newsflash, he does color commentary for the Devils. He's paid to be a homer (along with virtually every other play-by-play man who isn't doing a nationally televised game).
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#48 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

With that being said, advising that Deb Placey takes his place is almost idiotic.

She is a sideline reporter because people tell her what to say. if you think she can jump in the booth and talk the entire game on how she sees it, you're out of your mind

That may be true, I don't really know anything about her. maybe they could bring someone from the outside in, then. Who knows.
My only thinking there was that she's already part of the coverage team, and it would be an easy move to make. I think she's done well as the host/reporter, as well. But, whatever... if they could just talk Steve into being more pithy during the game action, and avoiding any stories unless and until there's a significant break, then I can live with him.

We're definitely spoiled. Watching other teams' feeds on GCL, it's obvious how bad most play-by-play guys across the league are. Cangialosi is better than most, IMO.

While I agree with this in principle, I also enjoy watching and listening to most of the other play-by-play guys much more than listening to Cangialosi. That's actually part of what brought this up.

The Canadian broadcasting teams are terrific, but that's not exactly a fare comparison. I was watching and listening to the Kings coverage last night though, and they have a good on air team.

Edited by ohms law, 03 January 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#49 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm sure Steve would go a Gary Thorne route if he was given the choice. He already calls Red Bull games and I'm sure if he got the chance he'd do basketball or baseball games.

Doc also has called NFL/NCAA football, lacrosse and water polo... I think you call what your call, when told to or afforded the opportunity to do so.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#50 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

He's human. He's cut down on the gimmicks and become listenable. It's almost funny when he says shat, SCAR now. He's better than I thought. I used to love listening to Doc almost as much as watching the game, so the come down is tough, but I don't mind listening to Steve, which I did in the past. Give him time.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#51 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Steve is fine Chico is AWFUL!!! really wish he'd stick to between period food reporting... he is possibly the worst analyst in the NHL...

Edited by redruM, 03 January 2012 - 07:08 PM.

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#52 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

That may be true, I don't really know anything about her. maybe they could bring someone from the outside in, then. Who knows.
My only thinking there was that she's already part of the coverage team, and it would be an easy move to make. I think she's done well as the host/reporter, as well. But, whatever... if they could just talk Steve into being more pithy during the game action, and avoiding any stories unless and until there's a significant break, then I can live with him.

While I agree with this in principle, I also enjoy watching and listening to most of the other play-by-play guys much more than listening to Cangialosi. That's actually part of what brought this up.

The Canadian broadcasting teams are terrific, but that's not exactly a fare comparison. I was watching and listening to the Kings coverage last night though, and they have a good on air team.

Bob is great. Jim Fox is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm talking the WORST. I wish he could say just one sentence without ending from high to low in pitch.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#53 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'm sure Steve would go a Gary Thorne route if he was given the choice. He already calls Red Bull games and I'm sure if he got the chance he'd do basketball or baseball games.

Hmmmm, I never knew that until now. Would you say he knows more about the Red Bulls than the Devils??

#54 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

LOL at the Chico haters. He's great.
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#55 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

I've actually been mildly surprised with Cangialosi. I was expecting him to be unlistenable when he first got the job. But now after however many games it's been, I think he's getting better eac game. I even think he's starting to develop a little chemistry with Chico -- whereas in the beginning, they had no chemistry. It's only his first season, so we gotta be a little patient.

As for Deb Placey, I think she's been great. Her style is very smooth. She had the in-between periods gig with the Islanders for many years and obviously knows her stuff. She even co-hosts a show on NHL Network with E.J. Hradek. We're lucky to have her, IMO.

#56 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

To all the Cangi haters I've got two words for you: Paul Steigerwald :puke:

I've got two more words for you: Jack Edwards :rant:

Edited by mdsieve, 03 January 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#57 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I have to agree that Steve is better now than he used to be. That being said... I almost completely tune him out anymore, which is terrible when you consider that the only reason that he's there is to be heard. I don't have any confidence that he's continue to get better, either. There was a learning curve, but he's climbed that already. At this point, he is what he is.

#58 JerryTown

JerryTown

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

Maybe bass wasn't the word I was looking for. I just meant it has no weight... ugh idk how to describe what I'm trying to say. Maybe we were just spoiled. Doc knew everything about every player and their families and he made boring games interesting... Steve is just so blah.

Edited by JerryTown, 03 January 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#59 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

(Mikey, it's merely a "coincidence" that CC Sabathia once pitched for Indians and now he's pitching against them on a particular evening).

hahah he married that news woman from ch.11 shes a win

chico is great because he is real.

i would rather listen to dano than cangi.
Posted Image

#60 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

i-think-steve-is-gay

lets ask deb she would know
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic