Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Mejia looked pretty solid. Honestly, it was odd to see him walk as many as he did as his strike rate was nearly in line with what it was last season. Velocity was down a tick, but then again it's April in cold weather, and didn't seem to effect his ability to make hitters miss and pound the ball into the ground. 

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Syndergaard's Vegas line:  6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K. 

Kind of figures that the Mets don't really have a huge need for starting pitching, though that can definitely change by mid-late June.

I have to admit...I don't love the idea of guys like Montero going to the 'pen.  I just would rather see them continue to develop as starters. 

Yeah I would hate Montero going to the bullpen. I've heard people say you can conserve his innings that way, but that's not really necessary -- he threw 155 innings last year. Maybe by September you throw him in relief or shut him down, but otherwise he should be a starter.

I don't feel the same way about deGrom though, since he's not the prospect Montero is and was always likely a reliever. Barring big numbers in Las Vegas this year (he's starting tonight), I don't mind him coming up and pitching out of the bullpen soon. 

Edited by nmigliore

Agree on deGrom. 

EY now 0-for-15 with 8 K.  Can't say he's not doing a nice job in the field, but damn does it feel like the Mets have a lot of automatic outs at the plate. 

Now 1-for-16 on an infield hit.  Awesome.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The fvck are you doing leaving Gee in to face Phillips. Gee is shot in the upper 90's and what a surprise pitch 100 is a BP fastball deposited into the stands

I know the pen isn't good but learn from the Freddie Freeman incident. He's done when he's done. Get him out you idiot.

he missed badly to Heisey, that should've been your warning

Edited by '7'

And of course, Amateur Terry leaves in Gee too long.  How fvcking stupid are you Terry?  Have you learned NOTHING?

I know the bullpen sucks but it's like TC is oblivious to the fact pitcher effectiveness significantly drops each time through the batting order (even the best ones).

Met lineup hasn't done sh!t. Not a surprise. Fangraphs depth chart standings preseason projected us for the lowest runs per game of any team in MLB. Yikes.

I was at today's game, left after the top 7th. Hasan - did you ever go? I was in section 136, row 6.

Edited by nmigliore

I know the bullpen sucks but it's like TC is oblivious to the fact pitcher effectiveness significantly drops each time through the batting order (even the best ones).

Met lineup hasn't done sh!t. Not a surprise. Fangraphs depth chart standings preseason projected us for the lowest runs per game of any team in MLB. Yikes.

I was at today's game, left after the top 7th. Hasan - did you ever go? I was in section 136, row 6.

TC is not getting another job after he loses this one...unless it's to be a caretaker of a bad team again.

it won't be that bad, Wright/Granderson/Young will hit enough dingers to prevent that from happening

My worry is d'Arnaud. Is this kid ever going to hit? I thought he had power too?

Have to say on that play at 2nd, Lagares clearly beat the throw and had his foot on the bag, but then popped off the bag without being forced off it...so I think the proper call is out

oh and they say safe. I though there was a point where lagares was in the air and the guy had the ball on the bag...huh. Weird

Edited by '7'

No I didn't go...only got four hours of sleep last night so I didn't really feel like making an all-day trip and sitting in the wind.  But man oh man what a finish...hearing Gary's patented call was nice enough for me.

How's the calendar btw?

Have to say on that play at 2nd, Lagares clearly beat the throw and had his foot on the bag, but then popped off the bag without being forced off it...so I think the proper call is out

oh and they say safe. I though there was a point where lagares was in the air and the guy had the ball on the bag...huh. Weird

The system worked the way it was supposed to...score one for the new replay.

Although yeah from the TV replay it looked as if his foot 'may' have popped off the bag you would hope they have HD replays that are crystal clear.

Yeah it was windy and cold. Wasn't freezing but needed a hot chocolate lol.

Calendar is pretty nice, I like it more than last year's. Comes with the standard Subway coupons which I never use since they have terrible food. :lol:

Edited by nmigliore

What a welcome sight. Not the game ending triple play I envisioned or K followed by DP!

Anyway, I can't really look at EYJ anymore. Pretty clear he's not a regular. Been clear for a while now. He'll play until Chris Young comes back. Duda I think will hit enough HR's and walk enough to stay in the lineup(and also take plenty of BP fastballs down the middle). And it looks like Lagares may do enough to stick in CF as well....so it could be a 50/50 Duda/Young split in LF with Lagares and Granderson the regulars in CF and RF.

Young has value, fast as lightning and can play a bunch of positions. He'll get his ab's when giving others days off as the season progresses but this delusion of him as an everyday guy has to end

Edited by '7'

Gotta give some credit where it's due...2-3 after an 0-3 start is a hell of a welcome sight.  What a moonshot by Ike. 

Amateur Terry needs to realize that, in close games (think 2 runs or less), Dillon Gee shouldn't be thought of as anything more than a 90-pitch pitcher.  There's no shame in that for Gee, especially since he doesn't walk people.  I'll take 6 or 7 innings of what he provides quite happily.  Chances are if Harvey comes back healthy, Gee's probably the 4th or 5th guy in the rotation.

And Terry should also realize that there's no unwritten rule that his starting pitchers must throw 100 pitches.  He's now screwed Gee twice already this season, after screwing Harvey and others multiple times last season.

Not surprised Doofus followed up yesterday with a day like today...he is what he is.  He'll always have his "tease" games.  And a lot more lousy ones.

deGrom tonight: 6 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts; 8 groundouts to 1 flyout; 57 of 76 pitches for strikes (75%). A poster on a Met board, presumably following the radio broadcast, says he was consistently 94-95. Superb.

More outings like that and I may have to pause with the idea of putting him in the bullpen. 

Edited by nmigliore

Great problem to have when Syndergaard's start is the "worst" start on paper so far. 

Gotta love that these guys all throw strikes.  Not saying Wheeler can't or won't be a terrific pitcher, but it looks like pure strike-throwing is never going to be a strength of his (and then of course, there's the insane amount of foul balls he allows).  Seems like he'll often be around 100 pitches by the 6th inning.     

Meh, I fully expected that to be the outcome ever since Sandy talked about it earlier in the week. The 2014 bullpen was going to be a disaster with or without him. At least this puts him on track to come back in 2015 when we *might* be competitive. 

Edited by nmigliore