Gotta love Sherri Ross' honesty

Mitico12

Sherri Ross said it as it should have been said...

"Break up the Parise-Henrique-Kovy line because it just doesn't work"

When will people start listening to her words of wisdom that we've all been repeating forever?

• Like 1

ive been say this all along too.they dont work well together. they are both LW's let them play the natural positions so they play at there best. when there together they force it way to much or pass when they should shoot or vice versa. moving kovy to a diffrent line also gives us more depth. hopefully it will happen when zajac comes back. i think it should. leave parise and henrique together and put kovy and zajac together.it'll work that way. we'll get more production and start getting more goals

Well you pick a funny time to bring this up since they've had some of their best periods together since then, at least offensively.

But yeah, that experiment needs to end, because Kovy's proven that he's a mental midget that needs everything to be just right for him to succeed.

Total fluke if you ask me. They don't "WOW" you with their synergies (or lack thereof) that's for sure...

Well you pick a funny time to bring this up since they've had some of their best periods together since then, at least offensively.

But yeah, that experiment needs to end, because Kovy's proven that he's a mental midget that needs everything to be just right for him to succeed.

Yup, if there's one true thing ever said about the Atlanta Thrashers during his time there it's that everything was just right :doh1:

Over the last 4 games that line has 5 goals and 15 points.. By far our most productive line, yeah blow it up

Edited by Colin226
  • Like 3

Or Lemaire glued to his ear babysitting him.

• Like 1

Not that I don't think it might be time to do so...

but moreso....

I could give a fvck what any amateur-hour commentator/announcer has to say about strategy and personnel.

Coaches spend day upon day dealing with strategies for games and the ins-and-outs of motivating player personalities. I'm willing to bet that DeBoer knows more about the players he has and what needs to be done "big picture" (i.e. 82 games) than Sherri Ross.

• Like 1

but moreso....

I could give a fvck what any amateur-hour commentator/announcer has to say about strategy and personnel.

Coaches spend day upon day dealing with strategies for games and the ins-and-outs of motivating player personalities. I'm willing to bet that DeBoer knows more about the players he has and what needs to be done "big picture" (i.e. 82 games) than Sherri Ross.

Totally agree with this post

DeBoer is waiting to plug Zajac into the middle of Parise and Kovy. That's been his plan all along. He won't break up Sykora/Elias/Zubrus. He probably thinks this produces the most effective 1st and 2nd lines. Then he puts Henrique on the third line with Clarkson, and maybe Tedenby or Josefson and hopes they can produce goals. Then there is the waste line with Clark and whomever.

We should know in a month.

but moreso....

Uhhh, maybe to a degree you're on to something, but its not always the way you think it is. If your theory bodes true then MacLean should have had more success "long term" than he actually did...

Sherri Ross has watched a lot of hockey, and a lot of hockey with these exact players. You cannot discredit her opinion or analysis. She's honest and says it as it is, and truly, Kovy doesn't belong with anyone other than perhaps third or fourth line players where he can just dominate and roll around the ice and make the other two thirds of his line inconsequential...Just think of it, Kovy/Pelly/Boulton...Kovy just dazzling around the ice with the other two staring at him...

He does that now, the problem being, guys like Parise and Henrique are too important to make inconsequential...

Uhhh, maybe to a degree you're on to something, but its not always the way you think it is. If your theory bodes true then MacLean should have had more success "long term" than he actually did...

Sherri Ross has watched a lot of hockey, and a lot of hockey with these exact players. You cannot discredit her opinion or analysis. She's honest and says it as it is, and truly, Kovy doesn't belong with anyone other than perhaps third or fourth line players where he can just dominate and roll around the ice and make the other two thirds of his line inconsequential...Just think of it, Kovy/Pelly/Boulton...Kovy just dazzling around the ice with the other two staring at him...

He does that now, the problem being, guys like Parise and Henrique are too important to make inconsequential...

Sherri Ross is a commentator... and a pretty mediocre one at that.

For the record:

Ross began her career in 1978 as a hockey reporter for the Daily Record newspaper in Morristown, New Jersey. She has also worked as a sportswriter for The Record (Bergen County), New York Newsday, and the New York Daily News, for whom she continues to work in the hockey offseason covering horse racing. From the 1990-91 season to the 2003-04 season, she was the author of the Hockey Scouting Report, an annually published guide to all active NHL players.

Ross first broadcast color commentary for the Devils from January 1992 through the strike-shortened 1994-95 season, prior to being re-hired for the role in 2007. On November 25, 2009, she called play-by-play of a game between the Devils and the Ottawa Senators, as Loughlin missed the game due to a death in his family, becoming the first woman to provide English language play-by-play for a full NHL game

Link: http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Sherry_Ross

She does what just about 1/2 of this board would be happy to be paid to do - watch and talk hockey.

She has never:

1. Played professional hockey

2. Won anything in professional sports

3. Worked with these guys in practice

4. Sat and talked with them about their actual game or strategy (as opposed to light player interviews).

5. Dealt with a team practice after a loss

6. Been in the locker room between periods

7. Called a single play

I could go on forever....

I watch a lot of hockey, I watch a lot of Devils - I never for one minute, lead myself to think that I have anywhere near the equivalent knowledge of someone who lives, breathes, and sweats this game every day - for most of their adult lives.

Sherry Ross is no wiser than anyone else in the media - I'm sorry.

Edited by DevilinLA

For the record:

Ross began her career in 1978 as a hockey reporter for the Daily Record newspaper in Morristown, New Jersey. She has also worked as a sportswriter for The Record (Bergen County), New York Newsday, and the New York Daily News, for whom she continues to work in the hockey offseason covering horse racing. From the 1990-91 season to the 2003-04 season, she was the author of the Hockey Scouting Report, an annually published guide to all active NHL players.

Ross first broadcast color commentary for the Devils from January 1992 through the strike-shortened 1994-95 season, prior to being re-hired for the role in 2007. On November 25, 2009, she called play-by-play of a game between the Devils and the Ottawa Senators, as Loughlin missed the game due to a death in his family, becoming the first woman to provide English language play-by-play for a full NHL game

She does what just about 1/2 of this board would be happy to be paid to do - watch and talk hockey.

She has never:

4. Sat and talked with them about their actual game or strategy (as opposed to light player interviews).

7. Called a single play

I watch a lot of hockey, I watch a lot of Devils - I never for one minute, lead myself to think that I have anywhere near the equivalent knowledge of someone who lives, breathes, and sweats this game every day - for most of their adult lives.

Its funny that Sherry said that first line isnt working, and Debo said they were excellent on the roadtrip so far !!!

For the record:

She has never:

7. Called a single play

My friend, look up Jose Mourinho. Yes, he differs from Ross because he was a note taker for coaches when he was growing up, but he never played the sport of soccer in his life! Thirty years later he won two Champions League titles, won a UEFA Cup title, and now coaches arguably one of the most prestigious clubs in the world- Real Madrid.

Your comparisons make no sense, and although there is a value to being an ex player or ex coach, it doesn't necessarily make your decisions as a coach non-second-guessable...

You're not giving yourself much credit as an observer of the game...think again before you criticize Sherri Ross...she may not have played the game, but she's sure not stupid..

My friend, look up Jose Mourinho. Yes, he differs from Ross because he was a note taker for coaches when he was growing up, but he never played the sport of soccer in his life! Thirty years later he won two Champions League titles, won a UEFA Cup title, and now coaches arguably one of the most prestigious clubs in the world- Real Madrid.

Your comparisons make no sense, and although there is a value to being an ex player or ex coach, it doesn't necessarily make your decisions as a coach non-second-guessable...

You're not giving yourself much credit as an observer of the game...think again before you criticize Sherri Ross...she may not have played the game, but she's sure not stupid..

I never said she was "stupid" - and she's entitled to have her opinion.

DeBoer is not "second guess" proof - but the truth is its not as easy as just putting together or taking apart players like arranging deck chairs on a ship.

There is a great deal of personality management involved.

Sure, the odd person who has never played professionally might have this gift. But the odds are more against than for. DeBo has a proven track record for success and motivation - I'm much more like to trust his judgement over some babbling commentator who (for the record) is pretty mediocre at her own job. Does Chico or Doc's opinion carry great weight because their job is to "observe" hockey?

Its one thing to comment and critique on something you see on the ice - entirely another to create something positive and effective.

Like Sherri's - just my own "opinion".

Totally. You put them together to score points. They've chipped in nicely in the last few games and dominated the Wild. Why blow them up when it starts to work?

Now that they're starting to gel......what happens in two weeks when Travis comes back ???

Do you just put Trav in the middle of Zach and Kovi, or do you form 2 lines putting Kovi back at LW ????

Edited by hargsy

Sherri Ross said it as it should have been said...

"Break up the Parise-Henrique-Kovy line because it just doesn't work"

When will people start listening to her words of wisdom that we've all been repeating forever?

I think any objective fan could see this. Agreeing with it from a homer perspective is different.