Oh these new owners are just dandy

RangersSuck23

Forget about Earl and his dance party.  Its the new owners that are doing a jig right now.  With the new Canadian TV rights deal, the Devils will be getting approximately $175 million over the next 12 years. 

As for Earl, apparently his dance moves are too racy for some of the parents in the crowd and their impressionable children.

Just adding on to what others have already said, but this sport for most people is entertainment, and only that.  Sure, we diehard fans take more interest in it than that, but at its core, it's an entertainment industry.  And, frankly, the Devils aren't very entertaining.

That product last night was absolutely not worth the $150 it would've cost my Dad and I to attend.  It was a snoozefest, and I'd argue maybe the last 10 minutes of the game were worth watching, purely from an entertainment standpoint.  I'm totally with HoI in this case - I'd rather watch the game from my warm and comfy couch, with some delicious food and drink that cost me maybe $10, than hop on a train in Hamilton, trek through the miserable cold weather to the arena, pay $30 for a coors and some lousy food, and be in the lifeless environment the Rock has become on a typical non-rival weeknight (which you can blame the new owners for, if you so desire).

Fact of the matter is, times are still tough, and it's hard to justify spending stupid money for a currently sub-par product.  And this is coming from someone who spends way too many hours a day on a hockey forum, following the sport, and watching other games.  If they can't attract someone like me to the arena on a regular basis..is it really that surprising that they can't attract casual fans?

Forget about Earl and his dance party.  Its the new owners that are doing a jig right now.  With the new Canadian TV rights deal, the Devils will be getting approximately $175 million over the next 12 years. 

As for Earl, apparently his dance moves are too racy for some of the parents in the crowd and their impressionable children.

all they were supposed to do was buy the team and keep it financially stable, not go screwing with traditions and micro-managing the fans...

all they were supposed to do was buy the team and keep it financially stable, not go screwing with traditions and micro-managing the fans...

Again, the YS chant is not a tradition.  It is only from about 2007.

Other than that, what other tradition did they get rid of?  Earl's Dance Party doesn't count as it is also new.

Fact of the matter is, times are still tough, and it's hard to justify spending stupid money for a currently sub-par product.  And this is coming from someone who spends way too many hours a day on a hockey forum, following the sport, and watching other games.  If they can't attract someone like me to the arena on a regular basis..is it really that surprising that they can't attract casual fans?

This is an excellent point. I'm a season ticket holder and I too sometimes struggle over going down to a game when I get the feeling it'll be one of 'those' nights. After the second period last night, my friend turns to me and says 'lets grab a couple of hotdogs and head home'  because we could both tell it was one of those lackluster performances. And sure enough, by the time we hit RT 17, the game was over with only a goal by Elias (of course) that we missed.

It's a shame, because for a while there, the arena was getting loud and had an excitement to it. But it feels like there's a definite lack of energy in there right now. It has a very CAA type of feel to me at the moment. It reminds me of 2010-11 as well, when it felt like the crowd was just waiting for something to cheer for, and so many nights it just wouldn't happen.

The funny thing is, they have been pretty good at home this year, with a couple of lopsided victories even!

Ah Colin, the everlasting supporter of all things Devils :)

I'm not expecting Whole Foods quality food, that's a cute takeaway from what I said. The food at the rock is terrible. I used to like the sandwiches from Hobby, went there every night. They couldn't figure out how to keep Hobby's happy and they left. I used to like going to the other stands from "Newark" and they  too were good, until they lost them all.

I'm also far away, it's a pain in the ass for me to go. I spend more time traveling to the rink, than I am at the rink. I neglected to mention that's a part of it. My father lives 15 minutes from the Rock, he's only missed the Nashville game because he broke his foot that morning. I'm about 80 minuts each way to the rink using mass transit.

They play 44 home games a year. They need people to go to more of them, because they aren't enough people to go around.

I love the Devils, follow them super closely, but instead of going to 10-12 games this year,  I'll probably go to 5 including the Yankee Stadium game. I can get a better value elsewhere. I'd rather pay a little more to sit in the balcony of a broadway theater to see something truly unique like  Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart or Mark Rylance and what he's doing now on broadway. Of even off-broadway. The Devils are competing with movies, and theater, and the other sports in the area for my money. I'd rather pay $50 to see that (and it's easier for me in the city) then to spend $30 watch the Devils and Jets on a cold Monday night.

Most of it comes down to the team is just mediocre, and I have pretty much zero expectations for them. Every game will be a 1-0, 2-1 shutit down defensive fest with limited shots and chances. No thank you. They are very frustrating to watch.

I call it like I see it lol, though I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.. I just think there's been way too much "The team needs to do more for me. I need lower prices, I need better this, better that. I don't like these things and it's all Josh Harris's fault. And if I don't get my way I'm just going to watch on TV and bash the Devils on hockey forums using the same lines that Rangers fans do"... And that's a statement directed at a lot of people, because it's been nothing but complaints since our first game.. Some has been warranted, but some has been demands specific to individuals and I don't get why people feel the team should conform to their needs.. It's always the same thing, I want to pay less for more and if I don't get my way I'll just watch on TV.. They know that option exists

I am in full agreement that the prices are too high and it does piss me off because the sellouts last season were the bomb, but like I said before, you could go the StubHub plan for under $20 a ticket.. And while I also agree that we don't have the sexy firepower names of 2012, I still think seeing Marty out there is pretty worth it.. Because that's about to become a memory for good, and I know I'll wish I could have seen him play even more.. But I do also respect the team for holding firm on their commitment to keep the value of season tickets and plans as high as possible.. They went the mass-discounting route in 2010 - 2011 and it pissed off a lot of STH.. While you need to get the more causal fans in the door to fill the building, you can't do it by shooting STH in the foot

And hey, we all make our own decisions with our money.. I totally respect what you're saying and almost like it in the sense that I do hope poor attendance brings about some change.. I'm just happy to see stable ownership with deep pockets and I figure why not let them try their ticketing strategies because even if they fail, they'll just fire Eric and hire someone else

I call it like I see it lol, though I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.. I just think there's been way too much "The team needs to do more for me. I need lower prices, I need better this, better that. I don't like these things and it's all Josh Harris's fault. And if I don't get my way I'm just going to watch on TV and bash the Devils on hockey forums using the same lines that Rangers fans do"... And that's a statement directed at a lot of people, because it's been nothing but complaints since our first game.. Some has been warranted, but some has been demands specific to individuals and I don't get why people feel the team should conform to their needs.. It's always the same thing, I want to pay less for more and if I don't get my way I'll just watch on TV.. They know that option exists

I am in full agreement that the prices are too high and it does piss me off because the sellouts last season were the bomb, but like I said before, you could go the StubHub plan for under $20 a ticket.. And while I also agree that we don't have the sexy firepower names of 2012, I still think seeing Marty out there is pretty worth it.. Because that's about to become a memory for good, and I know I'll wish I could have seen him play even more.. But I do also respect the team for holding firm on their commitment to keep the value of season tickets and plans as high as possible.. They went the mass-discounting route in 2010 - 2011 and it pissed off a lot of STH.. While you need to get the more causal fans in the door to fill the building, you can't do it by shooting STH in the foot

And hey, we all make our own decisions with our money.. I totally respect what you're saying and almost like it in the sense that I do hope poor attendance brings about some change.. I'm just happy to see stable ownership with deep pockets and I figure why not let them try their ticketing strategies because even if they fail, they'll just fire Eric and hire someone else

I get your point, but the value of an upper level seat on some nights is literally like $10. Not only do you have to sit in a tight row, but there's nowhere to put food or drink and if you're close to a corner, you have a$$holes who will be obnoxious ALL NIGHT. That is NEVER worth $50 to me and this is coming from someone who paid $40 to see a 0 goal performance against LA...not to mention the 0 goal performance I saw against Philly, but I digress, the tickets are overpriced and they need to work some deals in so most nights the uppers are <$30.

At a price point of $20-30, I will see double the games I would if they're $40+.

Edited by ATLL765

Exactly how I feel man.

I don't agree with everything management has done.  Calling STH's brokers wasn't cool.  They should have gone about the goal song fiasco a little bit better.  Although the overreaction from fans imo still wasn't warranted.

But in the end, they don't want this to fail.  They want what's best for the organization.  If we didn't have these guys as our owners, we'd be owned by the league right now.  That's not what we want at all.

It's a technical error, one that I'm sure will be fixed shortly. It's the equivalent of it being an email-voucher and your email provider is down so you didn't get the tickets. Short of our owner walking over to Ticketmaster headquarters and threatening to pull all ticket sales from their site unless the matter gets figured out immediately, I don't know what our ownership has to do with this.

Dude I know, I didn't say anything about the owners.  I was just responding to Martyisthebest who apparently couldn't understand why people who were given a voucher for four tickets but couldn't actually get the tickets weren't happy about it.

That's not true.  They just changed the name to Devils Dance Party.

That's what I thought too, but there wasn't any "dance party" at all last night, and people on this Devils group on Facebook are swearing their ticket rep or friend at The Rock said they're not doing it anymore.

Again, the YS chant is not a tradition.  It is only from about 2007.

Other than that, what other tradition did they get rid of?  Earl's Dance Party doesn't count as it is also new.

With your mindset, you know what, the whole franchise can go to hell, we've only been around since 1982, not a long traditional franchise like the Rangers or anything, right?...

Different strokes for different folks. Anything that happens at every game for more than a year seems like "tradition" territory, as far as I'm concerned. What authority allows you to declare it's not?

With your mindset, you know what, the whole franchise can go to hell, we've only been around since 1982, not a long traditional franchise like the Rangers or anything, right?...

Different strokes for different folks. Anything that happens at every game for more than a year seems like "tradition" territory, as far as I'm concerned. What authority allows you to declare it's not?

Not to answer for DM84 here, but the same authority that allows you to make that very statement.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Not to answer for DM84 here, but the same authority that allows you to make that very statement.

If I take a shot of Jameson and down a PBR can right before the opening faceoff of every away game for two years (41 games), conventional societal standards would label that a "gameday tradition".

Whether you like the "You suck!" chant or not, ask anyone on the street if they consider something that's been done for 6-7+ (definitely more) years after every goal at every home game of every season during that time whether that's a "tradition" or not. There's no word to describe a tradition of 5-6 years vs. 30-40 years, but it's a tradition. Saying it's not is just someone speaking from the pulpit.

The "Potvin sucks!" chant at MSG was as much a tradition 4 years into it as it is now. Saying it's not, because you don't like it, is just dumb.

Edited by DJ Eco

So based on your definition you would lump the Diablos (with their friggin vuvuzela playing), Earl's Dance Party, and Devils Dancers as traditions too? 

C'mon you are reaching there and you know it.

Rock n Roll pt 2 without the YS part is a tradition (been around when they were in Colorado).  Baumann chant is a tradition (been there since the beginning when he started it).  Those are traditions.

If I take a shot of Jameson and down a PBR can right before the opening faceoff of every away game for two years (41 games), conventional societal standards would label that a "gameday tradition".

Whether you like the "You suck!" chant or not, ask anyone on the street if they consider something that's been done for 6-7+ (definitely more) years after every goal at every home game of every season during that time whether that's a "tradition" or not. There's no word to describe a tradition of 5-6 years vs. 30-40 years, but it's a tradition. Saying it's not is just someone speaking from the pulpit.

The "Potvin sucks!" chant at MSG was as much a tradition 4 years into it as it is now. Saying it's not, because you don't like it, is just dumb.

That would be your personal game day tradition to drink in such a capacity. It's a personal choice by you to call it a tradition. Some may call it just being a drunk or a superstition in the same respect.

Again, the same "authority" that allows you your opinion/thoughts is the same "authority" that allows someone else to do the same.

As DM84 said, it's reaching. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

Doing the YS chant in 6-7 years out of 31 in existance when the song they are singing it to that has been around even longer than 31 years with the franchise is not a tradition.  You are looking at at least 25 years of RnR pt2 without the YS chant versus the 6-7 years of YS with it.  I would say without was more of a tradition.

Again by your definition we should include Earl's Dance Party and the Devils Dancers as firm Devils traditions.