SCF True Believers Thread

David Puddy

You realize that *if* he stopped the Doughty shot the game plays out differently, right? So if he stopped it, or Ryan Carter took a penalty and gave the Kings brutally awful PP a chance, something else different just happens.

But it's NJDevs, so you know, whatever. 40 year old Marty Brodeur is supposed to outplay the best goalie in the world, who happens to be 26.

Uh huh. Good luck with that.

oh, and BTW, the fourth line went -1

Distorted expectations.

I don't get why its OK to hold Marty to the expectations of 2003 (multiple playoff shutouts - because thats what will be needed apparently vs. the LAK in these tight games), yet no one expects other vets like Patrick Elias to be the Elias of 2000, 2003, or even 2006?

Players age and its expected that younger players pick up the slack. IF you think MB is going to be able to hold one goal games at 40 after a solid month of playing bring out your cassette tapes because its 2012.

That's the problem happening right now.

Distorted expectations.

I don't get why its OK to hold Marty to the expectations of 2003 (multiple playoff shutouts - because thats what will be needed apparently vs. the LAK in these tight games), yet no one expects other vets like Patrick Elias to be the Elias of 2000, 2003, or even 2006?

Players age and its expected that younger players pick up the slack. IF you think MB is going to be able to hold one goal games at 40 after a solid month of playing bring out your cassette tapes because its 2012.

And above that, his goaltending has been good in the playoffs, but really, his play coming out to get the puck has been cruical in the playoffs because this team is god-damn awful defensively when they get penned up in their own end. If you put another maybe "better" goalie in there, then they end up playing like the Rangers. The two players most likely to get them out and up are not defensemen, they're Marty and Kovy.

I didn't see how the Game 2 GDT ended, but even if it got really bad with insults and stuff, why at least couldn't the thread have been locked instead of erased altogether? Now we have no record of any NJDevs.com's opinions on a vital Devils SCF game. Just my two cents.

Edited by 95Crash
  • Like 1

Distorted expectations.

This. People are incredibly unrealistic, blaming 2 overtime losses in the finals on a 40 year old goalie because he didn't get a shutout.

Where's Elias' hattrick?? We woulda won if Elias would just score a hattrick.

whats the worst thing that could happen with putting Tallinder and Larsson in? Both are bigger than Harrold, more defensively reliable, and they are FRESH, especially Larsson.

take Harrold and Volchenkov out

Greene-Fayne

Salvador-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Larsson

and then PDB/Larry/Lou have to tell Elias/Kovalchuk/Parise to get their head out of their asses. i dont think sykora will be able to keep up in these games. the kings are fast and physical, this is different hockey then earlier rounds.

we have 2 goals this series, from our least offensive minded defensemen and a 4th liner.

their job is to score goals, everyones playing their part at this point except our big guys.

Edited by Mayday

It's tough to make changes to the lineup simply because the guys that are at the bottom of the pecking order are the guys that played best or, let's rephrase it, they played to their abilities.. The fourth line did a tremendous job so far and they brought energy whenever they hit the ice. And You can't scratch Elias or Clarkson, because you never know if and when they are gonna break out of their slumps. Same on defense, if I had to take anybody out it would have to be Greene. But is Larsson a real improvement right now? I doubt it. So I would go with the same lineup and hope the big guns get their acts together because if they don't, it simply doens't matter if we replace a #6 defenceman or a #12 forward with someone who isn't any better.

As for Marty, he played great but if I was the Kings, I'd keep shooting on his stick side. That's where you beat him the easiest.

This. People are incredibly unrealistic, blaming 2 overtime losses in the finals on a 40 year old goalie because he didn't get a shutout.

Where's Elias' hattrick?? We woulda won if Elias would just score a hattrick.

Marty has a 2.00 GAA and a .924 save% in the playoffs...clearly he has raised his game. He's now allowed 2 goals or less in 15 out of his last 17 playoff games. He has made several spectacular saves in those games, and in the Finals, he's given up one friggin' regulation goal in each game. But all some people can talk about are perceived softies, and I swear, it seems like among some fans ANY goal Marty gives up must be a softie by default. Doesn't matter how many great saves he makes, Marty should now be shutting teams out every time out. The standard some fans insist on holding him to has simply gotten absurd.

Anyway, there's criticism to go around if one chooses to take that route...a lot of guys who were scoring during the regular season and/or the playoffs sure aren't now. Like I said in my earlier post, I really don't think these guys are playing badly...they had opportunities in both games and simply didn't convert them.

• Like 1

Marty has a 2.00 GAA and a .924 save% in the playoffs...clearly he has raised his game. He's now allowed 2 goals or less in 15 out of his last 17 playoff games. He has made several spectacular saves in those games, and in the Finals, he's given up one friggin' regulation goal in each game. But all some people can talk about are perceived softies, and I swear, it seems like among some fans ANY goal Marty gives up must be a softie by default. Doesn't matter how many great saves he makes, Marty should now be shutting teams out every time out. The standard some fans insist on holding him to has simply gotten absurd.

Anyway, there's criticism to go around if one chooses to take that route...a lot of guys who were scoring during the regular season and/or the playoffs sure aren't now. Like I said in my earlier post, I really don't think these guys are playing badly...they had opportunities in both games and simply didn't convert them.

If I didn't read the last couple of posts, I'd have thought everyone has nothing but praise for Marty's play.

People are asking to make defensive switches, but that is the least of the Devils concerns right now.

I dont know why some people are so eager to put Larsson in the lineup. I get that he scored the one game he played in the playoffs, but he's not played a lot in the last few months for a reason. Harrold was one of the best players on the ice for us last night (not just D-Men). He's been good on the puck and got us out of a few jams. The one D-Man that has angered me is Zidlicky because he makes a bonehead play every now and then, but he also makes plays (and has in both games) that no one else on this defense can. I also agree with whomever said Tallinder is not a good option right now. He's been out for so long and inserting a player like that at this point could backfire, especially when the series is a lot closer than 2-0 indicates.

We don't have personnel issues right now. The scoring in this series is 4-2 total and 2-2 in regulation. Its very evenly matched. If we had been blown out last night, I'd totally be for personnel changes. We're inches away (Fayne and Clarkys misses in game 1, and Kopitar's last second deflection of Kovy in the 3rd last night) from being up 2-0 or 1-1.

I think the onus is on the forwards and coaching more than the D. We have to get the power play working again and players have to be more cognizant of the way Quick plays and stop giving him easy saves. We're getting barely any traffic in front of Quick. The Kings are also adjusting to our forecheck quite well, although we've been able to get it going again when that happens.

Distorted expectations.

Exactly and if Kovys shot in the last few seconds goes in off the crossbar instead of out then we win the game but it didn't happen.

It's really hard to say we would have won when A-train and Ryan Carter are the only ones who have scored a goal for us. That's our biggest problem right now. Our guys simply can't finish their scoring chances and we have had plenty.

kings D throw everything across the center, they know were on the boards giving them a run down the middle...all of their offense comes from one guy taking it himself.

they are taking their half out of the middle

Edited by lazer

The Devils have been hiding their poor defense through their aggressive forecheck in the past rounds of the playoffs. Their forecheck has sucked in the first two games of the finals hence the d is getting exposed. You may say how is their d getting exposed when they have only given up 1 goal in regulation the past two games. They have been very lucky that is why. Marty has been incredible and has been bailing them out. The Devils defense is killing their rush by their inability to break out of their own end and poor decisions with clearing the puck. Case in point would be Greene on the winner by Carter last night. Greene doesn't get the puck out of the zone and they pay. Their defense is the reason they are in this position right now. This why it needs to be addressed. Not many teams have the luxury the Devils have this late in the season with guys sitting that are good enough and ready to be put in.

kings D throw everything across the center, they know were on the boards giving them a run down the middle...all of their offense comes from one guy taking it himself.

they are taking their half out of the middle

Where's Scott Stevens when you need him? :(

In times like these I think one song is more appropriate now more then ever.

BTW Leave A-Train in. I would take Harrold out and put Larsson or Tallinder in because we need bigger bodies. As of now the Kings have the size advantage. Although Harrold has been playing nicely replacing him with either Tallinder or Larsson would be a big upgrade in that category.

Edited by TheMazz