traveling to away games

2ELIAS6

was taking a look at the schedule for this season and was thinking about traveling to go see a game for the first time this season.. i mean ive been to the dump in L.I. and to the over rated garden.. but im talking about traveling over night to go see a game. At first i thought maybe to go see a game in toronto would be fun but the travel time is over 7 hours i dont know if i could handle that. Montreal is a bit closer being a 5 hour ride so that could be a better possibility. Wanted to start this thread to see if anyone has any recommendations on a good arena to go see specifically for a good experience and to see who has traveled where to go see the devils play. Hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.. would obviously like a hotel as close to the arena as possible.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was taking a look at the schedule for this season and was thinking about traveling to go see a game for the first time this season.. i mean ive been to the dump in L.I. and to the over rated garden.. but im talking about traveling over night to go see a game. At first i thought maybe to go see a game in toronto would be fun but the travel time is over 7 hours i dont know if i could handle that. Montreal is a bit closer being a 5 hour ride so that could be a better possibility. Wanted to start this thread to see if anyone has any recommendations on a good arena to go see specifically for a good experience and to see who has traveled where to go see the devils play. Hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.. would obviously like a hotel as close to the arena as possible.

Not sure where exactly you're located, but Toronto is closer to pretty much everywhere in NJ compared to Montreal. Almost positive you're not getting there in 5 hours. It'll be more like 9. From where I am, Toronto is a 6-7 hour drive or so depending on traffic. Buffalo might be a good spot to try, but is only about 90 mins closer than Toronto. However, you wouldn't need a passport to cross the border and tickets might be more reasonable given that they're terrible right now. D.C. is a spot that's closer than all those, but I have no idea what ticket prices are like there.

Edited by ATLL765

Got a ticket to a game in Mtl lasy season. Cheapest I found was like 60 (at one point early on i saw some for like 35).

Great atmosphere, no problems AT ALL cheering for the Devils. Plus nightlife in Montreal is pretty solid. Was already there for a week snowboarding so I had a blast

I like going to Boston. Tickets are always reasonable and the arena is nice. Plenty of hotels in walking distance of the arena and the city overall is great.

DC is also good short trip. Plenty of great Chinese restaurants around the arena. If you don't mind walking you can walk to the monuments and some of the museums if you are into that kind of thing.

Pittsburgh is a decent place to go to. Nice city with plenty of great restaurants and plenty of hotels in walking distance too.

Buffalo is a sh!t hole and not worth the drive to me. The arena also feels like a barn. If you sit in the upper deck you might as well stay home.

From South Jersey, Montreal is about seven hours and Toronto is about 8-9, so that's that.

Try Nashville, great city as well, or NC, nice as well!

Sometimes I really just forget South Jersey exists, not really, just in the way that I don't factor it into my thought process. I've spent my whole life in North Jersey and South NJ just always seemed like a whole other state to me, lol.

Haven't been inside Verizon Ctr for a game since 2008 when our guys were in town but been to the city a few times since. Might be your best bet if not Philly since it might be easier to get tix than Boston. Might go for a weekend trip for the 11/14 game finances permitting and if the team doesn't blow.

Not sure where exactly you're located, but Toronto is closer to pretty much everywhere in NJ compared to Montreal. Almost positive you're not getting there in 5 hours. It'll be more like 9. From where I am, Toronto is a 6-7 hour drive or so depending on traffic. Buffalo might be a good spot to try, but is only about 90 mins closer than Toronto. However, you wouldn't need a passport to cross the border and tickets might be more reasonable given that they're terrible right now. D.C. is a spot that's closer than all those, but I have no idea what ticket prices are like there.

im up in rockland county NY, i mapquested both arenas and toronto is about 2 hours of a longer drive then montreal. I have a passport so that wouldnt be too big of a deal for me in making a decision to go into canada or not

im up in rockland county NY, i mapquested both arenas and toronto is about 2 hours of a longer drive then montreal. I have a passport so that wouldnt be too big of a deal for me in making a decision to go into canada or not

You already being in upstate NY is a complete game changer here. haha Boston or Montreal have to be your best bets.  great cities and not too bad of a drive

You already being in upstate NY is a complete game changer here. haha Boston or Montreal have to be your best bets.  great cities and not too bad of a drive

hey we dont consider ourselves "upstate".. im only 30 minutes from New York City, and 25 minutes tops from Bergen County

Pretty sure Montreal is closer to most points in Jersey than Toronto.

To answer the OP's question, I too am thinking of going to 1 or 2 "away" away games (outside of maybe MSG and Long Island).

- If I have some money to burn in February, I might do the Montreal game. After the cost of the ticket, flight, and hotel, it could get pricey for just a weekend.

- If I don't have too much money to burn in February, I'm eyeing up that Nashville game that month. Snatch a cheap flight, tickets will be pretty cheap, and hotels are pretty cheap. Nashville could be a pretty fun weekend away from the cold of NJ.

From South Jersey, Montreal is about seven hours and Toronto is about 8-9, so that's that.

Try Nashville, great city as well, or NC, nice as well!

came to say Nashville, but it's not exactly an overnight trip, it'd be great for a weekend- you can see most everything in 2-3 days. Flights probably could be had for about $300 round trip.

My one visit to Nashville just happened to fall on a devils game (not planned at all). Such a cool city with great downtown and bars- and I hate country music. Was pleasantly surprised to see as many red jerseys as I did.

DC is cool too and has a lot to do near the verizon center, OP if you make the trip I'll buy you a beer.

I've been lucky to go to a good number of places to see the Devils play, and there's a lot of driveable options from Jersey, which is nice. Here's a few places you might consider going if you're deadset on driving:

Toronto- As others have said, might be closer than MTL depending on where you are. Plus, you would be able to visit the HHOF, which everyone needs to do at least once.

Montreal- Arguably the best in-game atmosphere you'll ever experience. It's also a great city as others have pointed out, so you'll have a pretty memorable weekend

Boston- Easy drive or Amtrak trip, easy city to get around, just about the perfect size. Cool historical things to see. I can't speak about the bar scene because I wasn't 21 the last time I went, but I'd assume it's pretty fun

NC- I live here now, and I'd say it's a pretty easy drive especially if you do it in a three day weekend. The Canes play in Raleigh, which isn't as fun as Charlotte but is near Duke, UNC, and NC St. If the Devils are playing here sometime in late December or January (I can't remember when), then I would say sandwiching the hockey game with some ACC basketball would be a must. 

If you're willing to fly, I would also put Chicago, Nashville, and Florida in the ring. Chicago is probably my favorite large city that I've been to (moreso than NYC), Nashville is a great city with awesome bars and plenty to do. The arena is really conveniently located to the main area downtown. Florida, well, it's cheap and you'd be able to go to the beach a bit, I'd imagine.

All in all, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of these cities, they all offer different experiences but I haven't had a bad time at any of them. Top three though, I'd say Nashville, Montreal, Toronto.

If you end up going to Montreal you should go to Ziggys Pub. It's a great hockey pub and the owner is John Macleans cousin. I was there during the Maclean fiasco and talked to him about John and I always remember he said that his cousin was going through hell. Good times lol.

After seeing our fans invade MSG last year, I think we should get an organized trip to MSG (and LI) going.

This is a great idea.

NC- I live here now, and I'd say it's a pretty easy drive especially if you do it in a three day weekend. The Canes play in Raleigh, which isn't as fun as Charlotte but is near Duke, UNC, and NC St. If the Devils are playing here sometime in late December or January (I can't remember when), then I would say sandwiching the hockey game with some ACC basketball would be a must. 

Interesting, the few times I've spent time in the Raleigh area, everyone has told me there's not much to do in Charlotte, and it isn't worth the visit.

After seeing our fans invade MSG last year, I think we should get an organized trip to MSG (and LI) going.

I'm planning on it. Islanders are always a good one because it seems like our away games on the Isle are almost always weekend games!

As for MSG, the only drawback is our first game there is 2 days after Christmas. If those tickets aren't priced out because of being people's Christmas presents, then they'll be priced out because everyone who's off that week or every kid home from college will be penciling that one in.

The next one's a Saturday right at the tail end of the season, and we know Saturday games are always in the $110+ range at MSG.

Last season, we were lucky, there was a game on a Tuesday that I was able to go to for $60 in a sweet section (they call it "gallery" seating), buying it last minute. It was the one where Carter, I think, scored with 3 minutes left. And then there was the one that Gelinas ended in overtime, which I think was on a Saturday but in the middle of a slump. Doesn't look like there'll be any cheap games this time around.

Edited by DJ Eco

Yeah two fun games at the garden last season. That first one DJ was Carts scoring twice and Zubrus jamming home the game winner. The second MSG game was my favorite gm if the season.

Yep that's right!!! And Marty played lights out for both of them. Devils contingent was super loud in MSG last year. That second game was something else: come-from-behind victory, with Cam Janssen with a controversial goal to the absolute ire of Rangers fans, and a Gelinas OT winner... Phew...