Canadians Tell Gomez to Stay Home

NJDevils1214

"teams will be allowed two "amnesty" buyouts to help reach the cap.

However, if a player is injured, he cannot be bought out.

Bergevin said it was safest for the team that Gomez not play this season."

that sucks! now the only hockey he can play i would assume since he's under contact is in a men's league...i wouldve liked to see him in a tryout for the devils

"teams will be allowed two "amnesty" buyouts to help reach the cap.

However, if a player is injured, he cannot be bought out.

Bergevin said it was safest for the team that Gomez not play this season."

that sucks! now the only hockey he can play i would assume since he's under contact is in a men's league...i wouldve liked to see him in a tryout for the devils

The Canadiens couldn't buy Gomez out until this coming offseason, the buyouts don't start until then. They're not playing Gomez to ensure that he doesn't get hurt and then can't be bought out.

Gomez being sent home makes it more likely the Devils could sign Gomez next year than if Gomez had played this season.(I'm not advocating signing Gomez by saying this)

He is 33 already and he is also declining faster than anticipated. I don't think he can help us generating offense or providing solid checking for the team. Career depth players and bangers can do a better job than him as a bottom six and Gomez certainly is not good enough to be a top 6 either. Enjoy fishing for the rest of the life.

Interesting read with some comments from Elias and Brodeur on Gomez:

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

I've said it before, but when I heard Gomer interviewed after he signed with the Rangers, it became very obvious to me very quickly that he was not even remotely bright, and easily tricked/manipulated, which I think is what happened to him, as far as the Rangers went. I think he's one of those guys that has an Inner Doofus that needs constant controlling, and the Devils were the one organization that knew how to keep it at bay. But he's a well-paid doofus, so no tears shed for him here.

I've said it before, but when I heard Gomer interviewed after he signed with the Rangers, it became very obvious to me very quickly that he was not even remotely bright, and easily tricked/manipulated, which I think is what happened to him, as far as the Rangers went. I think he's one of those guys that has an Inner Doofus that needs constant controlling, and the Devils were the one organization that knew how to keep it at bay. But he's a well-paid doofus, so no tears shed for him here.

I remember some of the pre- and postgame TV interviews Gomez did with Matt Loughlin while Gomer was still with the Devils; he used to goof on Matty, smiling, trying to get him to laugh, not in a mean way, just having fun. It seemed like he might've been one of the funner guys in the Devils locker room at the time.

As much as I hated him for going to the Rangers, I wouldn't mind him coming back to N.J. if he was serious about getting his sh!t together.

I remember some of the pre- and postgame TV interviews Gomez did with Matt Loughlin while Gomer was still with the Devils; he used to goof on Matty, smiling, trying to get him to laugh, not in a mean way, just having fun. It seemed like he might've been one of the funner guys in the Devils locker room at the time.

As much as I hated him for going to the Rangers, I wouldn't mind him coming back to N.J. if he was serious about getting his sh!t together.

I don't think he's a bad guy...more naive and easily tricked.

Gomez has not been a decent player in the league for years. He also has the dreaded "locker room cancer" label (rightly or wrongly it exists). I see no worth in bringing him back.

I think he's more of a "bad contract guy". Is he really that much of a dick in the locker room? I kind of find that hard to believe.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Gomez has not been a decent player in the league for years. He also has the dreaded "locker room cancer" label (rightly or wrongly it exists). I see no worth in bringing him back.

I've never heard Gomez described as a locker room cancer. This is the sort of othering that goes on with players who are out of the norm (the norm being white, from either the US or canada).

Wouldn't mind him back here on the wing next year if our wingers are as ghastly next year as they are this year (and he's in good shape).

I don't think he's a bad guy...more naive and easily tricked.

I feel the same about him. I think he got in WAY over his head with that signing with the Rangers. I really think that his agent said "here, sign this. NY is the best place for you, you'll be a star, this is how the NHL is" and he signed the contract.

I don't hate the guy. I don't really want him back, either. It's a business. He did what was right for him. Now, if Lou offered him the same contract and he told Lou that New York is the best and that he hates the Devils, ok, then I see. I don't think he's a bad guy. Driver left for the Rangers, MacLean went there the second his contract ran out in SJ. Holik went there. It happens. None of them had any success there, anyway.

For perspective's sake, if any of us worked at Bob's Hardware Store for 55,000 a year, and John's Hardware Store offered us 105,000 a year guaranteed for the same job, and you told Bob and he told you "I'm not paying that", 99% of us would enjoy our drive to John's in our new car.

Edited by Devil Dan 56