Iginla officially traded to Pittsburgh

SterioDesign

Have you watched morrow play lately? He sure as hell isn't breaking the top 2 lines on 90% of the NHL teams. And the pens are really really good on offense. Having amazing offense doesn't mean sh!t if you got only 2 defense lines and sub par goaltending. There's a reason the caps and flyers were never able to score their way to a championship.

Look at it this way and maybe you can see my point in my previous post. The Pens are so deep that Morrow will be playing on the 4th line. If we got Morrow he would have been on the 2nd line for sure.

Look at it this way and maybe you can see my point in my previous post. The Pens are so deep that Morrow will be playing on the 4th line. If we got Morrow he would have been on the 2nd line for sure.

I don't think so. Bernier and Gionta have comparable stats, arguably better than morrow. With all the injures we have now then yeah he would be on a somewhere in the top 3 lines but when healthy hes a fringe 3rd liner more than likely a 4th. Watch him play, he's done.

I don't think so. Bernier and Gionta have comparable stats, arguably better than morrow. With all the injures we have now then yeah he would be on a somewhere in the top 3 lines but when healthy hes a fringe 3rd liner more than likely a 4th. Watch him play, he's done.

Morrow's actually got career numbers that are similar to Zubrus rather than Gionta and Bernier. Zubrus is one of our second line guys.

Morrow's actually got career numbers that are similar to Zubrus rather than Gionta and Bernier. Zubrus is one of our second line guys.

Morrow's career numbers don't mean anything when talking about this season. Hes declines considerably over the last 2-3 seasons and THIS SEASON he's about as affective as our 4th liners.

And?....Its all apples to oranges.

Morrow and Iginla were not badly needed by the Pens. Lets see how their D and goaltending holds up in the playoffs. Murray was a great pickup.

Well Sterio and friends of that mindset - I think we as fans don't need to get in a panic. As a fan I get to see both sides of the acquisitions - for me there are enough variables to see this at it's VERY BEST is just icing on the cake. That's it. Pens were good enough. So they get stronger - as a fan I'm pretty sure the Devils will end up in the same position whether Iginla is on the Pens of not. It'll make games more fun I think either way - if they screw with the chemistry then epic fails are always a gas to watch. If they improve upon an already strong team then we'll see some nice hockey - some nice moves good pairings sweet aggression be it hits or just powering guys off the puck... EDIT - Marrow was a sort of hmm.. move.  Sort of a throw you a little off balance - "what's going on here?" move. I am always referring just to Iginla because he sealed the deal - he was clarification of a message that really shouldn't have been clarified strategically speaking.  He was the tipping point turning the moves into bluster as far as psychological impact {OR puts a big target on Malkins back} - it may play out well on ice - that remains to be seen so I can't speak to that yet - no one can.

As a team - if I were a devils player - well what you've got to know is that any and every team is that good. You can't take any one for granted. Any little sh!t out there can suddenly prove himself an Iginla (or Crosby or Malkin) on ANY team. It's serious and these guys just upped the anti for every team psychologically. It's getting the whole league ramped up and making the Devils job that much tougher and giving them that much more reason to take things seriously now. No team is easy, and with the Pens making this statement they ratcheted up EVERYONE'S motivation. if playoffs were going to be tough before they just got a whole lot tougher - Pens just made every team that much tougher,   and you dont know where it's coming from, everyone wants you out now more than even before -- so teams have to step up and find the focus and stamina and vision.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Well Sterio and friends of that mindset - I think we as fans don't need to get in a panic. As a fan I get to see both sides of the acquisitions - for me there are enough variables to see this at it's VERY BEST is just icing on the cake. That's it. Pens were good enough. So they get stronger - as a fan I'm pretty sure the Devils will end up in the same position whether Iginla is on the Pens of not. It'll make games more fun I think either way - if they screw with the chemistry then epic fails are always a gas to watch. If they improve upon an already strong team then we'll see some nice hockey - some nice moves good pairings sweet aggression be it hits or just powering guys off the puck... EDIT - Marrow was a sort of hmm.. move.  Sort of a throw you a little off balance - "what's going on here?" move. I am always referring just to Iginla because he sealed the deal - he was clarification of a message that really shouldn't have been clarified strategically speaking.  He was the tipping point turning the moves into bluster as far as psychological impact {OR puts a big target on Malkins back} - it may play out well on ice - that remains to be seen so I can't speak to that yet - no one can.

As a team - if I were a devils player - well what you've got to know is that any and every team is that good. You can't take any one for granted. Any little sh!t out there can suddenly prove himself an Iginla (or Crosby or Malkin) on ANY team. It's serious and these guys just upped the anti for every team psychologically. It's getting the whole league ramped up and making the Devils job that much tougher and giving them that much more reason to take things seriously now. No team is easy, and with the Pens making this statement they ratcheted up EVERYONE'S motivation. if playoffs were going to be tough before they just got a whole lot tougher - Pens just made every team that much tougher,   and you dont know where it's coming from, everyone wants you out now more than even before -- so teams have to step up and find the focus and stamina and vision.

What mindset? I keep on saying they will be very good but doesnt mean theyll win it all. They could lose in first round

If the Pens play the Bruins in the playoffs the Pens will likely lose two guys to injuries in that series.

See -- this is what these moves say - see for me the moves bespeak weakness - vulnerability.

Even if they dont face the Bruins -- you're going to have a lot of cowards on lesser teams making the REALLY dangerous moves now.

Edited by Pepperkorn

What mindset? I keep on saying they will be very good but doesnt mean theyll win it all. They could lose in first round

That these are moves a fan would be happy with.  That they are great moves.  See above for why I disagree. 

We're approaching from different directions but I think we both know what happens happens regardless.

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck Calgary traded away their all-time best player for practically nothing.

If Iginla gave the Flames a list of four teams he'd be willing to go to, and the Flames worked out a deal with one of those teams, how could he then say, "No, I now don't want to go to that team?"

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck Calgary traded away their all-time best player for practically nothing.

If Iginla gave the Flames a list of four teams he'd be willing to go to, and the Flames worked out a deal with one of those teams, how could he then say, "No, I now don't want to go to that team?"

yeah for Calgary this is taking integrity and loyalty to your franchise player to an all new level -- a bad one :evil:

(OK time to stop with the popcorn postings here - I'm just typing everything that pops into my head)

Edited by Pepperkorn

Because ultimately it's his call.  As Elliotte Friedman wrote in his blog entry on this situation, the league will not act on a trade involving a player with an NTC until it gets a statement in writing that that player has waived his no-trade clause.

It'd be funny if somehow the Islanders draw the Pens in the first round. Somehow, some way, the Islanders have had the Penguins' number in the past few season, maybe even slightly more than Devils... Earlier in the season, they were beating the Pens by 3-4 goals.

Ultimately it's Calgary's call to trade or keep him.  Player can say destination - can say "But I want to go there instead and they want me too"  Calgary still gets to say "Yeah - well they don't want you enough so you're staying"

The question is, why did the Flame not just keep him? Why didn't they see his hand? :noclue:

Clearly they didn't value him enough.  So how lucky are the Pens then?  Well one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Ultimately it's Calgary's call to trade or keep him.  Player can say destination - can say "But I want to go there instead and they want me too"  Calgary still gets to say "Yeah - well they don't want you enough so you're staying"

The question is, why did the Flame not just keep him? Why didn't they see his hand? :noclue:

Clearly they didn't value him enough.  So how lucky are the Pens then?  Well one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

It's because they already waited too long and his contract is up. It was trade now or he was going to sign with someone else in the offseason.

A first rounder isn't nothing - even a late first-rounder.  The two college kids, meh.  They aren't getting anything by keeping him when they're way out of the playoff hunt.

tehy at least could've bluffed a little longer and tried to squeeze out more from Pittsburgh and made it seem like maybe they'd keep him if they didn't ante up if that's the only place he wanted to go. Why not wait? What harm could it have done?