Rick Nash To NYR

JakeDev

Rick Nash is the most overrated player in the league. Dubinsky was an underpaid player. Rick Nash is overpaid and overachieved. He's never scored 80 points despite playing with some of the best players in the league Nik Zherdev makes Ryan Carter a 30 goal scorer. Rangers overpaid and will never the Stanley Cup..........or should I say the KovalCup

• Like 1

Not having a go at you as I get your point...but I just wanted to comment on the myth that is the new York rangers being a relevant team in nyc. They don't get much attention from the average new yorker. Aside from being on nbcsn a few more times a year, I don't get the whole name in lights, pressure cooker talk that some people associate with the new york rangers. No one cares any more about Rick nash because he's a ranger than if he was a Dallas star.

Good point. Rangers are nowhere close in terms of fan pressure as the Leafs, Canadians, Canucks, and maybe even the Flyers.

Not having a go at you as I get your point...but I just wanted to comment on the myth that is the new York rangers being a relevant team in nyc. They don't get much attention from the average new yorker. Aside from being on nbcsn a few more times a year, I don't get the whole name in lights, pressure cooker talk that some people associate with the new york rangers. No one cares any more about Rick nash because he's a ranger than if he was a Dallas star.

Completely agree. Before the 3rd round (ECF), there was little to no attention being given to the Rangers at all. And it was only widely reported then because it gave the papers license to reference 1994 and break out the Messier pictures/headlines. Hell, they had their best regular season in almost two decades last year and they were barely mentioned in the papers. This sense of importance, tradition, and huge fan support is a huuuuge myth. It's not even bias on my part, I work here and see it with my own eyes. Not too many people really give a sh!t. Philly and Boston beat them in that department by a LARGE margin. Hell, maybe even Buffalo too..

And just to add, you can walk into a bar in Boston or Philly on a gameday and the Bruins and Flyers are guaranteed to be on. The same can't be said about the Rangers in New York bars. This whole self-described "aura" is totally manufactured, it's just a lazy headline to describe a trade to New York as "playing under the bright lights of Broadway". It's so cliché and on a non-game night, no one on the streets will know who Nash is, or give a sh!t.

Edited by DJ Eco

Completely agree. Before the 3rd round (ECF), there was little to no attention being given to the Rangers at all. And it was only widely reported then because it gave the papers license to reference 1994 and break out the Messier pictures/headlines. Hell, they had their best regular season in almost two decades last year and they were barely mentioned in the papers. This sense of importance, tradition, and huge fan support is a huuuuge myth. It's not even bias on my part, I work here and see it with my own eyes. Not too many people really give a sh!t. Philly and Boston beat them in that department by a LARGE margin. Hell, maybe even Buffalo too..

And just to add, you can walk into a bar in Boston or Philly on a gameday and the Bruins and Flyers are guaranteed to be on. The same can't be said about the Rangers in New York bars. This whole self-described "aura" is totally manufactured, it's just a lazy headline to describe a trade to New York as "playing under the bright lights of Broadway". It's so cliché and on a non-game night, no one on the streets will know who Nash is, or give a sh!t.

I argued this, and while it is true that the Rangers are the 6th most popular team in New York and rarely grab the public consciousness, it is also true that the Garden fans get on players way, way faster than fans in most cities. They were booing Tom Poti every shift for god's sake - Devils fans could never manage that. So in that sense, it's a 'high pressure environment', even if the papers aren't going to slam you nightly.

I argued this, and while it is true that the Rangers are the 6th most popular team in New York and rarely grab the public consciousness, it is also true that the Garden fans get on players way, way faster than fans in most cities. They were booing Tom Poti every shift for god's sake - Devils fans could never manage that. So in that sense, it's a 'high pressure environment', even if the papers aren't going to slam you nightly.

When I think of "high pressure environment", I think of Toronto last season when all the players were interviewed on camera and asked to apologize and explain what went wrong. Or Montreal comes to mind, when they were booing Price during one of his bad games, and when he made a very routine glove catch, they gave him a mocking standing ovation. Or even Philly, as much as I hate them, is a high pressure environment, a loud building in which you feel accountable for your play.

I've been to MSG, it's neither loud nor intimidating, for the fans or the players (aside from Brodeur, who at this point in his career LOVES it and thrives over there). Can't find anything Rangers-related around the city during the season: no one in jerseys, very few bumper-stickers or car stickers, extremely few hats (I see more Devils hats sprinkled around; maybe because the logo's cooler to people that don't have a clue about hockey), there's 1 or 2 semi-"Rangers bars", etc.... 40 minutes before a game, you can take a subway from downtown that passes through MSG with no one wearing a Rangers jersey. Half the arena doesn't even have jerseys on.

Just overall, it's my opinion that it's not this big exciting legendary hockey town. Obviously it's in the Post or Daily News' best interest to write about it this way, but it's not. A trip to Boston or Philly pretty much proves the difference. Just my honest opinion, because I'm in the city everyday and hang out here on weekends.

Edited by DJ Eco

When I think of "high pressure environment", I think of Toronto last season when all the players were interviewed on camera and asked to apologize and explain what went wrong. Or Montreal comes to mind, when they were booing Price during one of his bad games, and when he made a very routine glove catch, they gave him a mocking standing ovation. Or even Philly, as much as I hate them, is a high pressure environment, a loud building in which you feel accountable for your play.

I've been to MSG, it's neither loud nor intimidating, for the fans or the players (aside from Brodeur, who at this point in his career LOVES it and thrives over there). Can't find anything Rangers-related around the city during the season: no one in jerseys, very few bumper-stickers or car stickers, extremely few hats (I see more Devils hats sprinkled around; maybe because the logo's cooler to people that don't have a clue about hockey), there's 1 or 2 semi-"Rangers bars", etc.... 40 minutes before a game, you can take a subway from downtown that passes through MSG with no one wearing a Rangers jersey. Half the arena doesn't even have jerseys on.

Just overall, it's my opinion that it's not this big exciting legendary hockey town. Obviously it's in the Post or Daily News' best interest to write about it this way, but it's not. A trip to Boston or Philly pretty much proves the difference. Just my honest opinion, because I'm in the city everyday and hang out here on weekends.

I agree, but that place does get loud. I was there for 4 games in the last two years and it is indeed loud.

Yes, and notice how Nash didn't want to go to any Canadian city?

Boston isn't a hockey city either. But yes, you'll find no disagreement from me - New York is not at all a hockey city and it ranks a distant 4th in the public consciousness. But the Garden fans can be very hostile and manage to get on players much quicker and with much more disdain than most cities, even I think, more than Philadelphia (in part because Philadelphia's missed the playoffs once since 1994). If Rick Nash has 2 goals in his first 20 games, the fans will get on him. In that sense, there is some pressure to produce. Hell, Devils fans didn't even really get on Kovalchuk when he had 4 goals and the team was well into last place to the extent that Ranger fans got on their hated players (Kamensky, Malik, Kevin Stevens, etc., the list is kinda endless)

Yes, and notice how Nash didn't want to go to any Canadian city?

Boston isn't a hockey city either.

Really? That's a surprise to me, for a city that supports a NHL team and 4 NCAA d1 programs, and 3 ahl teams. And a nber of huge number of prep school but not a hockey town. Cmon tri oyou know the history of Jacobs and the bruinss better than that.

I still think NY offers the best for hockey players. You get to play in front of sell out crowds every night. The atmosphere can be electric. Yet, you are in such a big city you can escape. Guys like Lundqvist and Richards can blend into the NY crowd and live a normal life. That isn't happening in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or if you are a Knick or Yankee.

Really? That's a surprise to me, for a city that supports a NHL team and 4 NCAA d1 programs, and 3 ahl teams. And a nber of huge number of prep school but not a hockey town. Cmon tri oyou know the history of Jacobs and the bruinss better than that.

They support 3 AHL teams?

You're going to tell me the Bruins are anywhere close to as popular as the Celtics, Patriots, or Red Sox? I recognize that hockey is big in that area and I have little doubt there's more NHL players than NBA, MLB, or NFL players from Massachusetts, but I'm just not buying it at the pro level.

They support 3 AHL teams?

You're going to tell me the Bruins are anywhere close to as popular as the Celtics, Patriots, or Red Sox? I recognize that hockey is big in that area and I have little doubt there's more NHL players than NBA, MLB, or NFL players from Massachusetts, but I'm just not buying it at the pro level.

Celtics, yes. Pats and Sox blow them away, but since the B's have gotten good the gap has closed

As much as I believe Nash is overrated (not worth 7.8 mil), he's definitely a legit top 6 forward and the Rangers won this trade by far. How can Sather be so average with free agency, but rip off people in trades most of the time?

Dubi and AA are nice pieces, but they're 3rd liners (2nd liners in spades). Erixon has a chance to be something special, but they had plenty of depth at defense to include him. The 1st round pick is up in the air and it'll most likely be late.

Just, ugh..

The thing about the NY/NJ market and hockey is that it's all relative.. Percentage wise, its nowhere near as popular as in Philly and probably not as big as in Boston, but I am willing to bet that the actual number of hockey fans in NY/NJ is enormous

Hockey's biggest problem up here is that there are 4 teams between the two biggest sports (NFL MLB) when most cities don't even have 4 teams total.. So that takes a ton of media attention away (plus the Knicks being relevant kills hockey here).. And I'm a firm believer that most Americans only like what they perceive is popular.. If no one is talking hockey on TV or radio because they need to cover the 4 other teams first, then people simply aren't going to get into it

Hockey is big in Philly because the Flyers win and are consistently good.. The Eagles have never won and the Phillies weren't much to talk about before 2007.. The Bullies made hockey popular, and very little has come along since then to diminish the Flyers coverage.. Listen to any radio show down there and you'd be amazed at how much talk the Flyers get

Just imagine if there was only 1 hockey team in the area.. Wow, it could be a sold out 25k arena charging a hefty price on tix for sure

The thing about the NY/NJ market and hockey is that it's all relative.. Percentage wise, its nowhere near as popular as in Philly and probably not as big as in Boston, but I am willing to bet that the actual number of hockey fans in NY/NJ is enormous

Hockey's biggest problem up here is that there are 4 teams between the two biggest sports (NFL MLB) when most cities don't even have 4 teams total.. So that takes a ton of media attention away (plus the Knicks being relevant kills hockey here).. And I'm a firm believer that most Americans only like what they perceive is popular.. If no one is talking hockey on TV or radio because they need to cover the 4 other teams first, then people simply aren't going to get into it

Hockey is big in Philly because the Flyers win and are consistently good.. The Eagles have never won and the Phillies weren't much to talk about before 2007.. The Bullies made hockey popular, and very little has come along since then to diminish the Flyers coverage.. Listen to any radio show down there and you'd be amazed at how much talk the Flyers get

Just imagine if there was only 1 hockey team in the area.. Wow, it could be a sold out 25k arena charging a hefty price on tix for sure

Def true...the public is really similar to a teenage girl

Edited by devlman

Very true! Very few cities in the WORLD, outside of maybe LA or London, UK, have this amount and variety of sports franchises in its metro area (and even those 2 have less). It's easy to forget about that when we're complaining about regular season attendance and viewership, but it's a CRAZY market to be in..

Very true! Very few cities in the WORLD, outside of maybe LA or London, UK, have this amount and variety of sports franchises in its metro area (and even those 2 have less). It's easy to forget about that when we're complaining about regular season attendance and viewership, but it's a CRAZY market to be in..

There are 14 pro football clubs in London alone. Obviously some bigger than others...

Edited by third man in

There are 14 pro football clubs in London alone. Obviously some bigger than others...

Wow, haven't followed the Premiership too heavily in a few years, so I thought there were only 3-4 Premiership teams from London. Turns out some teams have made it out of the lower leagues and the count is now up to 6 teams from London alone! Not even counting the lower leagues (as we have lower leagues, women leagues, spin-off leagues, etc. too in baseball and all the other sports), but 6 teams in one city in one of the most famous leagues for football/soccer in the world is freaking crazy!

That's like having Jets, Giants, Patriots, Bills, Eagles, and Ravens in a 10 mile radius, not to mention other teams spread out around the Northeast!

Wow, haven't followed the Premiership too heavily in a few years, so I thought there were only 3-4 Premiership teams from London. Turns out some teams have made it out of the lower leagues and the count is now up to 6 teams from London alone! Not even counting the lower leagues (as we have lower leagues, women leagues, spin-off leagues, etc. too in baseball and all the other sports), but 6 teams in one city in one of the most famous leagues for football/soccer in the world is freaking crazy!

That's like having Jets, Giants, Patriots, Bills, Eagles, and Ravens in a 10 mile radius, not to mention other teams spread out around the Northeast!

We already have something very close to that, it's just that the teams play different sports. Within a ten-mile radius, you have, in no particular order:

Jets, Giants, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets.

In London, soccer is basically the only game in town (maybe add cricket, but couldn't tell you).

Yep, it's pretty wild. The teams in the Championship division are nothing to scoff at either...they all have grounds that seat 20k+.

Rugby is also quite popular in London.

Edited by third man in

We already have something very close to that, it's just that the teams play different sports. Within a ten-mile radius, you have, in no particular order:

Jets, Giants, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets.

In London, soccer is basically the only game in town (maybe add cricket, but couldn't tell you).

London doesn't have Rugby?