Flyers over the cap...

Don

The Flyers with their UFA and qualifiers have now offered well over the $39M cap and still need 4 players. What happens if nobody trades with them? They can't start the season with $39M. Do they get fined?

If there is no teeth to this cap, then the lockout was pointless.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would crap my pants if LA backed out of the Roenick deal at the last minute and stuck the Flyers over the cap :lol:

Being as the CBA hasn't been posted page-for-page yet though I don't think we know the complete letter of the law but I heard you can't be over the cap for even a day? And that they get fined like an excessive amount if they're over the cap for a day and/or lose a draft pick or a few.

How could they need four players? Didn't they buy the block? This over cap question was asked before and I don't remember the answer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have to resign some RFA like Johnsson, Esche, Gagne and presumably Seidenberg.

Coldplay: Exactly. Even if they dump JR, that puts them at $29M. They have to sign those three guys plus three other pluggers in that $10M. Oh, wait, I forgot JR - FOUR other pluggers.

They were in deep doggy doo BEFORE trading JR's 4.5M for a 5.5M salary.

Edited by Don

Maybe that's the trick that Clarke is pulling. Sign every free agent in sight and trade off your players for draft picks. He ends up with a TON of draft picks and a good team.

Why other GMs are obliging is beyond me.

This entire thing just bothers me, i want to see something posted on NHL.com, or i wanna read a quote from an unnamed leauge source that fines are going to be brought against the Flyers for going over the cap. And why do analysts ignore the reprecussions of going over the cap just saying that the Flyers are going to trade JR in two days to bring them under, from everything we've heard about this CBA a team is NEVER EVER allowed to exceed the cap limit except in the case of long term injuries, unless there is something we don't know about this deal then i want something to happen here, what good is a cap in a leauge where every GM can say "Oh yea I know we're over even though we locked out the players to get that big fancy book that says we're never supposed to do that, just gimmie a few days and it'll be fine." :angry: