Devils Fans in the NHL

Colin226

A lot of it just comes with a pride standpoint of being from New Jersey. People who live in Monmouth, Ocean and the Shore area seem to take a lot of pride in the area itself, ie. organizations such as Benny Go Home. It's tough to be so prideful in your area and state and then turn around and be a wannabe guido NYR fan.

This is exactly it. I went to Southern California with some friends last month and my Rangers fan roommate kept saying, "Man we don't have stuff like this in Jersey!" Pretty much everything we did there we can do here, except we have public transportation and even if we don't use it it's a shorter drive out here.

Central jersey mostly exists in the minds of South Jersey people who don't want to be called South Jersey. Also I would not go by county as for Middlesex you have Piscataway that is most certainly North Jersey while areas like Dayton and Cranbury are certainly South Jersey.

I grew up in Iselin, lived in Piscataway, New Brunswick, and Somerset while attending Rutgers, and now I live in Highland Park. I consider all of these towns Central Jersey. They are obviously not South and they are too different than typical North Jersey towns to be considered North Jersey.

Edited by devilsfan26

Monmouth County Devils fan checking in. There's definitely a pretty healthy mix of Rangers and Devils fans here because of how many transplanted New Yorkers there are, but the Devils fan population continues to grow, especially as the 80's and 90's kids get older, because they seem to be picking the Devils, which in turn is converting parents as well. Also, I've met a bunch of transplants from NYC who took to the Devils once moving here. I think the biggest reason you have so many young Devils fans here though is that hockey continues to grow in the county and it pretty much started when the Devils came to be and really boomed with the Cup wins. For a lot of young people, myself included, that was our first big exposure to hockey in the 90's (I was 7 in '95). It created a lot of first generation Devils fans, who are now growing up and starting to start families of their own and you're starting to get the first of the second-generation Devils fans.

Also, the argument against there being a "central Jersey" is hilarious. To call this area South Jersey is just nonsense. South Jersey might as well be the actual south. Hell, there's a fvcking rodeo down there. Monmouth, Ocean, etc. all take a bit of culture from both North and South and create something different with a mix of the the two. I can't believe that's even being debated. If you've ever been to REAL South Jersey and consider it comparable to the suburbs and shore areas here, then you're just being ignorant, plain and simple. Totally different worlds.

Most people would agree that North Carolina is considered as part of "The South" However, you will find that the culture in Raleigh is pretty different than the culture in Mobile, Alabama but both are considered as being part of "The South". Monmouth and Ocean counties may share things with North Jersey, but they are more like South Jersey than North jersey.

Edited by DevsMan84

Monmouth and Ocean counties may share things with North Jersey, but they are more like South Jersey than North jersey.

Fine....you win. :rolleyes:

Apparently you've never been to Toms River, Lavallette, Seaside Park, Normandy Beach, Point Pleasant, etc. from May through August. :boogie: (EDIT: This emo is the closest thing to a fist pump I could find)

Hence the word "Less" :lol:

Ever been to Sussex, Warren and Hunterdon counties? Also throw in Cumberland and Salem in the south and you got the same thing.

I am aware there are rural areas in northern new jersey. The overall makeup of the north though is much more urbanized/industrial than Central. (I'd even call Hunterdon County as part of Central Jersey).

Monmouth and Ocean counties may share things with North Jersey, but they are more like South Jersey than North jersey.

I disagree. Commuting patterns, sports teams, accents, etc...are all more related to the north than the south.

(Btw, while we are on the whole north/central/south jersey discussion, there are people that suggest that there is no north/south jersey but that in actuality the split is more in the form of East/West Jersey. Draw a line from High Point, NJ diagonally southeast to Ocean County and you have the split for Ny/Philly.)

Edited by devlman

I'll just have to agree to disagree. Central Jersey is not South Jersey. I just have to deal with people from South calling us North, and people from North calling us South. People who live in Central Jersey know that it's neither. It may be a bit of both, but it also has it's own uniqueness that makes it it's own entity (mostly the Jersey Shore). It's just like when people think all of Jersey is factories and smells because all they've experience is the Turnpike, it's just ignorance.

Also, the Parkway is from Exit 1 to Exit 172. I live at Exit 120 in an area that's being called "South Jersey" in this argument. Think about how ridiculous that sounds. This argument is declaring that AT LEAST 2/3rds of the Parkway is "South". That doesn't even make sense logically.

Edited by PWW

I'll just have to agree to disagree. Central Jersey is not South Jersey. I just have to deal with people from South calling us North, and people from North calling us South. People who live in Central Jersey know that it's neither. It may be a bit of both, but it also has it's own uniqueness that makes it it's own entity (mostly the Jersey Shore). It's just like when people think all of Jersey is factories and smells because all they've experience is the Turnpike, it's just ignorance.

Also, the Parkway is from Exit 1 to Exit 172. I live at Exit 120 in an area that's being called "South Jersey" in this argument. Think about how ridiculous that sounds. This argument is declaring that AT LEAST 2/3rds of the Parkway is "South". That doesn't even make sense logically.

If the parkway ran in a straight line the entire way through, you might have a point. However, there are parts, especially in the Monmouth County area where the parkway doesn't run straight and even in a North/South direction but more like Southeast/Northwest direction.

I disagree. Commuting patterns, sports teams, accents, etc...are all more related to the north than the south.

(Btw, while we are on the whole north/central/south jersey discussion, there are people that suggest that there is no north/south jersey but that in actuality the split is more in the form of East/West Jersey. Draw a line from High Point, NJ diagonally southeast to Ocean County and you have the split for Ny/Philly.)

I have heard this too and it does have a good amount of logic to it, so I think it is at least a solid theory. Nonetheless it just further proves there is no such thing as "Central Jersey"

Central refers to something that is in the middle. Central Jersey includes the counties of Somerset, Middlesex, Monmouth, Hunterdon and Mercer. It is really easy to search and find this information. Hasn't changed since I was in grade school. For those who do not agree and living in denial works for you, then good for you. There are people who believe man never walked on the moon. They are entitled to their beliefs, too. Doesn't make them correct, just makes it their point of view.

I think it's both. In fact, back in the colonial days East Jersey and West Jersey used to be separate provinces, and the differences are still apparent today.

I minored in geography at Rutgers and one of my last classes was a New Jersey geography class taught by the state climatologist. I remember we had this very debate in class one day until we were presented with more specific distinctions that some geographer came up with and pretty much everyone in the class was in agreement with. I'll have to see if I can find those notes again.

I think it's both. In fact, back in the colonial days East Jersey and West Jersey used to be separate provinces, and the differences are still apparent today.

I minored in geography at Rutgers and one of my last classes was a New Jersey geography class taught by the state climatologist. I remember we had this very debate in class one day until we were presented with more specific distinctions that some geographer came up with and pretty much everyone in the class was in agreement with. I'll have to see if I can find those notes again.

I did at Rutgers too. Missed having the class w robinson tho.

Central refers to something that is in the middle. Central Jersey includes the counties of Somerset, Middlesex, Monmouth, Hunterdon and Mercer. It is really easy to search and find this information. Hasn't changed since I was in grade school. For those who do not agree and living in denial works for you, then good for you. There are people who believe man never walked on the moon. They are entitled to their beliefs, too. Doesn't make them correct, just makes it their point of view.

Dead on

I did at Rutgers too. Missed having the class w robinson tho.

Ah bummer, Dr. Robinson is a cool guy, he's also a Devils fan. When did you take it? I had it Fall 2009. It's final exam was the last one I ever took. I remember walking out of the classroom relieved at first that I was finally done with school (except for some papers I still had to write), and then when I got outside it really hit me that college was over and real life was about to smack me in the face. We had to write an essay for the class and I wrote mine about the lack of pride in New Jersey shown by and facilitated by pro sports teams refusing to call New Jersey their home. He loved the essay but I handed it in a month late so I got like a 65 haha.

This should resolve the debate once and for all.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/this-is-the-most-accurate-and-funny-map-of-new-jersey-ever

I'm not from north Jersey, but from "Friendly white families."

Ah bummer, Dr. Robinson is a cool guy, he's also a Devils fan. When did you take it? I had it Fall 2009. It's final exam was the last one I ever took. I remember walking out of the classroom relieved at first that I was finally done with school (except for some papers I still had to write), and then when I got outside it really hit me that college was over and real life was about to smack me in the face. We had to write an essay for the class and I wrote mine about the lack of pride in New Jersey shown by and facilitated by pro sports teams refusing to call New Jersey their home. He loved the essay but I handed it in a month late so I got like a 65 haha.

Haha nice topic. I'm sure you wrote it with passion! I was a few years before you. Can't remember the professors names that i had but Robinson was the head of the dept at the time. If you find your notes about the geographical distinctions that made sense please post em.

Well my mothers family moved tp Monmouth County in 1765. Actually my forefather moved down from Albany and married a girl in Woodbridge.

I grew up in Jamesburg, right on the 609/201 area code boundary. The telephone company had id nailed.

You can look up the Province Line to get a good idea about East/West Jersey.

Central Jersey does exist, but it is cut by that Province Line. Cranbury is in Middlesex County in but is definitely in West Jersey.

The best you can say is that our state is extremely divided into small pieces. See Multiple Municipal Madness by Alan Karcher.

I grew up 12in miles from Freehold, but despite the fact I had family in Freehold never came close to running into Bruce Springsteen, who os my age.

On the other hand in HS I went to parties from So Plainfield to Spotswood.

Central Jersey is probably the least definable part of our great state.

LIBERTY AND PROSPERITY!

Well my mothers family moved tp Monmouth County in 1765. Actually my forefather moved down from Albany and married a girl in Woodbridge.

I grew up in Jamesburg, right on the 609/201 area code boundary. The telephone company had id nailed.

You can look up the Province Line to get a good idea about East/West Jersey.

Central Jersey does exist, but it is cut by that Province Line. Cranbury is in Middlesex County in but is definitely in West Jersey.

The best you can say is that our state is extremely divided into small pieces. See Multiple Municipal Madness by Alan Karcher.

I grew up 12in miles from Freehold, but despite the fact I had family in Freehold never came close to running into Bruce Springsteen, who os my age.

On the other hand in HS I went to parties from So Plainfield to Spotswood.

Central Jersey is probably the least definable part of our great state.

LIBERTY AND PROSPERITY!

Holy hell your family goes back a ways in NJ :blink:

Central jersey mostly exists in the minds of South Jersey people who don't want to be called South Jersey. Also I would not go by county as for Middlesex you have Piscataway that is most certainly North Jersey while areas like Dayton and Cranbury are certainly South Jersey.

laugh.gif

I grew up in North Jersey and we considered every y linkthing several miles So. of 78 and No. of 195, South Jersey. Of course now that I live in the deeeeeeep South of Jersey, (cows, horses, meadows, tinier deer, farms, brackish Delaware river water) they down here consider Cherry Hill North Jersey. I argue and call that Central Jersey.

There is the North Jersey shore and the South Jersey beaches.

Bottom line is that it is all awesome and all expensive. It hurts to stay alive in this state, but we have EVERYTHING w/i an hour or two drive.

I'm from Jersey!

Holy hell your family goes back a ways in NJ :blink:

MY family brought them a welcome wagon gift basket! banana.giflaugh.gif

I always figured, growing up & reading the sports pages, that whichever region the NJSIAA put high schools in for playoffs was accurate. Since I grew up in Colonia, btw, class of '83; (and yay-John Carlson), our school was in Central, while a block from my house in Clark/Union county was North. When I began talking to Devils fans from the Bergen county area, and telling them where I live those who didn't know better would say I lived in South Jersey, or 'that's by the shore right?'

Anyway, getting back on topic, I met John Carlson's cousin & he said he was definitely a Devils fan growing up, and he rooted for the Devils all the way up until the Caps drafted him.