Sidney Crosby considers skipping All-Star Game in protest

msweet

According to David Shoalts of the Globe & Mail, Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby(notes) might skip the 2011 NHL All-Star Game as a form of protest over the League's headshot prevention and player safety measures. Only he wouldn't tell the NHL that's the reason ... except now that it's in the Globe & Mail, perhaps it's time to revisit those plans.

From the Globe & Mail, an anonymously sourced bombshell:

The word filtering out of the Pittsburgh Penguins is that Crosby is an angry young man, angry enough to pull his considerable star presence from one of the league's showcase events because he does not think the NHL is doing enough to protect its players. An NHL source said Crosby is not likely to tell the NHL he is withdrawing from the all-star game to protest the fact neither player who hit him on the head was suspended. However, he could easily decline and cite the need for complete recovery from a mild concussion.

The source said Crosby, who showed up at the all-star game in Montreal two years ago even though he sustained a knee injury and could not play, is not inclined to do any more such favours right now

http://goo.gl/6w6IN

Not happening. Crosby has enough heat from everyone else in the league. What little supporters he has that arent Pens fans will drop him like an unwanted pregnancy.

In the last year or two, I have seen his maturity level rise from an 8 year old to about a 12 year old. Hes becoming a young adult right before my eyes.

• Like 1

What a whiny little crybaby.

I disagree. Players should be more vocal about how they feel towards these kinds of dangerous hits. Right now it's GMs v media with the fans as spectators.

I would actually LIKE this to be true. Maybe it'll take a super star like Crosby to cause a stink before the league does something about it. I would have said GOOD FOR HIM if it were true. I like hockey to be physical. I like fights. But guys should NEVER have to be worried about career ending and life threatening injuries. Head injuries are nothing to joke about and I am STILL mad to this day that nothing was done about Carter's hit on Salmela last season and none of the pussies in red did anything about it and lost the game without a fight.

I disagree. Players should be more vocal about how they feel towards these kinds of dangerous hits. Right now it's GMs v media with the fans as spectators.

I would actually LIKE this to be true. Maybe it'll take a super star like Crosby to cause a stink before the league does something about it. I would have said GOOD FOR HIM if it were true. I like hockey to be physical. I like fights. But guys should NEVER have to be worried about career ending and life threatening injuries. Head injuries are nothing to joke about and I am STILL mad to this day that nothing was done about Carter's hit on Salmela last season and none of the pussies in red did anything about it and lost the game without a fight.

He's not putting up a fuss to bring awareness to head hits. He's putting up a fuss because the players who hit him weren't suspended.

He's not putting up a fuss to bring awareness to head hits. He's putting up a fuss because the players who hit him weren't suspended.

They should have been.... Steckel should have at least gotten a penalty. Everyone whines about the league going balls deep over Crosby... well here's an instance where he received a direct hit to the head, got hurt... and now the league won't have their poster boy in the All Star game and they did NOTHING about it to the guy who hit him.

Incidental or not, it was still a hit to the head. The enforcement of the headshot rule in the NHL is embarrassingly inconsistant. I would applaud Crosby for making a stand as I would any face of the league who makes a just argument. These individuals carry much clout, and as a result can heavily impact decision making to better the league for players, officials and fans alike. Do not slam a good thing just because the effort, if real or genuine, is led by an individual you may dislke. Immaturity robs the fan-base of quality.

Edited by этотсайтебут

Hey Crosby, would you like some cheese with that whine?

It's fine he's standing up for himself, but he's thrown his share of cheap shots and now that he gets hurt it's an issue? Please... This is hockey, the game needs some physical edge to it.. They skate around faster than a person can run, and the players are getting bigger as training becomes more and more important so occasionally someone will get injured on a cheap shot, but I don't want hockey to lose its physical side

Incidental or not, it was still a hit to the head. The enforcement of the headshot rule in the NHL is embarrassingly inconsistant.

I agree that the league is too inconsistent

If it were true I might have watched the boring all-star game just for spite. I don't think Crosby will want to miss a chance to showboat in a game where he can't be hit.

The league (mostly Bettman) has already ruined the game and taken too much physicality out of it. Watch a Devils-Ranger game from 1980 and you'll see what I mean.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If can't handle getting hit and possibly hurt, don't play hockey.

I agree that the NHL is terribly inconsistent with the way it enforces just about all of it's rules, but I can't stand to hear Crosby whine about people not being punished for for hitting him when he's hit people with a cheapshots several times in the past without punishment and he's gotten WAY more than his fair share of calls go his way when they were questionable or could go either way.

Bottom line, 99 times out of 100, he gets the better end of the deal, so does he really need to cry about the 1 in 100 where he doesn't?

no sidney? no great loss...

Even if he don't skip the game on purpose I think this is going to be a good message for the National hockey league since their favorite player is ruled out of the All-star game due to their own stupidity.

Hits to the head are unacceptable and I don't think it really slowed down this season.Players get injured and the hitters get superficial if no punishment at all.

Edited by SS-SS