Devils' Kovalchuk will test market

overtime98

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TG stated that Lou said no offer was made for Kovy's rights so throw that report out.

So you believe everything Lou says? I saw the article as well, LOL Maybe there was an offer, but Lou doesnt want to speak about it....... either way I believe that the kings are VERY interested and targeting Kovalchuk.

Again, based on what? Because you think they have the money?

From the writers/bloggers out on LA Ive seen more than a few articles/rumors about how interested they are,, the fact that they have cap space and are a young good competitive team.They have good defense, goaltender and some decent forwards. A player like Kovalchuk would give them enough to make them elite in the NHL and a serious playoff contender.

Here's something that I found really interesting from TG (same article as mentioned above where he denies the ESPN report) that could potentially give the Devils a little more cap space to help sign Kovalchuk:

(from comments sections)

We’ll have to wait and see with Pandolfo. They say he’s supposed to be ready for camp, but it’s entirely possible they stretch out his injury like they did with Matvichuk and put him on LTIR to start the season.

Even if he is on LTIR, his salary continues to count against the cap, but the team will be able to exceed the cap by his salary.

Posted by TG on 06/28 at 11:02 AM

What is this LTIR that he is referring to? I have never heard of it. But if what he says is true, the Devils could essentially cut out Pandolfo's cap hit and still have him on the roster.

Edited by nyrsuck26

What is this LTIR that he is referring to? I have never heard of it. But if what he says is true, the Devils could essentially cut out Pandolfo's cap hit and still have him on the roster.

Long Term Injury Reserve. I'd have to track down the full legal definition but basically if a guy is hurt long term you can put him in that area, but then he must sit out a minimum length of time, I believe 10 games, and you don't take his salary off the cap but you can bring in new salary in the same slot. So effectively if Pando's 2.5 mil is on the LTIR you're allowed to bring in 2.5 million in new salary while Pando is out, even if you would normally exceed the cap with the new money. It's a little more complex than that but that's the gist.

Long Term Injury Reserve. I'd have to track down the full legal definition but basically if a guy is hurt long term you can put him in that area, but then he must sit out a minimum length of time, I believe 10 games, and you don't take his salary off the cap but you can bring in new salary in the same slot. So effectively if Pando's 2.5 mil is on the LTIR you're allowed to bring in 2.5 million in new salary while Pando is out, even if you would normally exceed the cap with the new money. It's a little more complex than that but that's the gist.

Ah, I see. Thank you for clearing that up.

Thanks for the explanations.

People reporting they're interested?

We know they have the money:

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2010/6/27/1540462/can-you-afford-kovalchuk

One person reported they are interested and its taken upon a life of its own.

By the way, great article.

The Kings are by no means the team in the best cap position to sign Kovalchuk. In fact, they are 13th. As sorting by "cap space remaining per player left to be signed to get to a full roster" illustrates.
Edited by MantaRay

One person reported they are interested and its taken upon a life of its own.

By the way, great article.

You obviously missed the point of the article, just as you earlier missed the point of when you were sure Kovalchuk wouldn't be traded here.

He just has a hard time admitting he's wrong. thats all.

I always admit when I am wrong. It's just very rare.

I wasn't wrong about Kovalchuk- he was a failed experiment. I was only wrong about Lou getting him.

The rest we find out on July 1st.

I always admit when I am wrong. It's just very rare.

I wasn't wrong about Kovalchuk- he was a failed experiment. I was only wrong about Lou getting him.

The rest we find out on July 1st.

Thus, you were wrong about Kovalchuck. See how that works?

Alright, let me get back in on this.

A. Again, I find it highly unlikely Kovy goes to the KHL. If he was going there he already would have signed.

B. LA is not in as good position as you think. Smyth and Kopitar are both owed over 6 mill next year and Jack Johnson and Doughty are RFA's next year.

C. For the 8th time: KOVY's rights are worth nothing and are not going to be traded. NO team is gonna be able to work out a deal with him before the 1st.

Edited by ben00rs

When Kovy first came here I was a firm believer in wanting him to return but now after seeing that Martin may walk out defense needs help plus Parise needs a new contract. Unfortunately we got Kovy at a bad time when we had crappy contracts everywhere. We also got him when key players would need new contracts in the next two years.

In my opinion I don't want to be a team like Washington. They have a lot of money towards a lot of star power up front which is great and stuff but come playoff time team will find your weakness and like Washington they had a okay goalie and a defense that wasn't very strong. So as I look at it, signing Kovy makes us a power forward house team but weak defensive team which may get us a good record through the season but come playoff time in 7 game series team easily break you down.

B. LA is not in as good position as you think. Smyth and Kopitar are both owed over 6 mill next year and Jack Johnson and Doughty are RFA's next year.

Next year is Smyth's last in his contract with a cap hit of 6.25 million. While that coincides with needing to re-sign Doughty and Johnson, it also coincides with the expiration of Handzus' $4mil contract and Williams' $3.5mil contract. They have plenty of room for Kovalchuk.

Rough NHLNumbers estimate of their total cap hit for 2010-2011: 44.6mil, still need to sign 5 forwards, one depth defenseman. So they have just under $15mil to spread among 6 players. Figure Kovalchuk gets $9mil, that's $5.75 mil among five remaining players. Depth defenseman gets less than one million, so figure $5 million among four remaining players. If they sign Kovalchuk, their top lines are set (Kovalchuk, Kopitar, Brown, Smyth, Stoll, Williams), their depth forwards are Handzus, Simmonds, Parse and Richardson. That means they really need another third line player if Handzus' play drops, so figure $1.8 or $2mil for a guy like Madden or Belanger, and round out the other lines with low-salary players.

Maybe I overlooked something 'cause I just threw this together without completely over-analyzing it, but seems fine to me.

(edit: adjusted for correct salary cap number, sorry)

Edited by insanity_gallops

I hope he stays in NJ. Just not holding my breath and will not be disappointed if does not, because I am half expecting him to sign else where...... If he does re sign I am hoping to see a line of Arnott, Elias and kovalchuk..