new tampa bay logo and jersey

ZeroGravityFat

i don't care either way about the logo. personally though, i think it's annoying that so many teams these days seem to have a new logo and jersey unveiled, like, every season. i get it -- marketing -- but still...it's a pain in the ass. i bet before we even get used to this jersey, a new one is going to pop up and people will bitch about it all over again.

glad we don't have to deal with it here. then again, i'm sure all the people who bitch about our horrible marketing would say otherwise. who knows. granted, we can't even market the brand we DO carry...but that's a whole 'nother can of worms that i don't even want to attempt to open.

carry on.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't care either way about the logo. personally though, i think it's annoying that so many teams these days seem to have a new logo and jersey unveiled, like, every season. i get it -- marketing -- but still...it's a pain in the ass. i bet before we even get used to this jersey, a new one is going to pop up and people will bitch about it all over again.

glad we don't have to deal with it here. then again, i'm sure all the people who bitch about our horrible marketing would say otherwise. who knows. granted, we can't even market the brand we DO carry...but that's a whole 'nother can of worms that i don't even want to attempt to open.

carry on.

That's true, I feel the same way, though I think in this case the Lightning made an improvement. Though it is annoying that teams like the Canucks seem to have a new jersey every single year.

Looks like basically (Toronto + Red Wings) * Tampa Bay. I don't hate it, I don't love it. It is a little plain, I'd love to see the underarm "victory stripes" making a return, but alas, it didn't fit quite well with the scheme. I'm not sure it's such a "classic" look that it merits removing silver and black altogether, but it'll be interesting to see if this is the kind of trend we'll be leaning into in the coming decade--the stripping down. I feel like the Thrashers, Predators, Panthers and others have kind of stripped down their uniforms recently, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some other teams doing so too.

it'll be interesting to see if this is the kind of trend we'll be leaning into in the coming decade--the stripping down.

I hope so, many of the jerseys that were busted out at the start of the Edge program were disasters. Thrashers, Sabres, Flames, Avalanche, Oilers, Panthers, Predators, Senators/Lightning/Penguins, Flyers, Lightning, Blues were all terrible in my opinion, way too much going on with colors in all kinds of random spots just for the hell of it. I'm glad at least the Sabres, Lightning, and the Oilers home jerseys are cleaned up now.

If they had continued to incorperate some black and silver to the logo, or on the jersey they would have looked fine.

This use of the navy blue colour is just the same as when everyone ran around producing Black jerseys not so long ago.

Haha

Looks too much like the Leaf's uniform.

They look like the Toronto Gatorades.

First thing I thought...the Tampa Bay Maple Bolts...I don't mind simple (Devil jersey is pretty simple), but this is too minimalist for me.

For some reason it looks better here:

95534_bolts_02-01-11__007.jpg

Ah, OK. This confirms what I was thinking from the first photo posted but couldn't tell for sure. The logo isn't on a solid plate like it is with pretty much every other team. It looks like loose fabric stitched on. At the very least, this is good for fans. I don't have any Edge jerseys, but my friends who do constantly complain about the logo being stiff as a board and awkwardly riding up on them when they sit down. No such problems for Lightning fans, it seems.

Ah, OK. This confirms what I was thinking from the first photo posted but couldn't tell for sure. The logo isn't on a solid plate like it is with pretty much every other team. It looks like loose fabric stitched on. At the very least, this is good for fans. I don't have any Edge jerseys, but my friends who do constantly complain about the logo being stiff as a board and awkwardly riding up on them when they sit down. No such problems for Lightning fans, it seems.

good point, that's the one thing i don't like about my jersey.

I like them.

Mike

agreed that the patch logo is the best. That should be on the front of the jersey. I don't know why they got rid of having black even in some form in their uniforms. They definitely look like Toronto now.

They aren't terrible. They just arent really an improvement imo. They are certainly better than those new anaheim thirds that make them look uglier than traffic cones.

Looks like they want to be the new Sabres and Canucks, messing with their logo and jerseys, like, every other season.:whistling:

Also, why are they doing it in the middle of the season?

I like simple desings, but this is TOO plain to me. If your team has a long tradition and you want some simple throwback jerseys with oldschool logo, that's cool. But forcing it and trying to make a still relatively new franchise look like an old-time hockey team... it just doesn't work.

I mean, it's not terrible... It's just that it's nothing that would make me go "wow" (smells Maple Leafs, too) and their old "new" logo was still new, so I don't really see the point of such rebranding.

Glad the Devils don't put their fans through changes like these.

Edited by Revan

I like them. As mentioned by others I see the heavy influence of Yzerman here trying to replicate the minimalist "classic" look of the Red Wings, Leafs, Flyers, and even the Devils that have traditional classic looking uniforms and stick to it.

What you're also seeing is a total revolt against he RBK Edge templates. Colorado, Edmonton, Florida, Los Angeles, Ottawa, and some other teams are already on record that they're dumping their current template for something different in 2010-11.

The whole thing is pretentious. The Lightning are not an old team and should not have laces / design stolen from original six teams. Why put Tampa bay only on the white jerseys also?

Their old jerseys were better.

I'd rather see an old traditional design than a bunch of colors thrown all over the place. Also their current jerseys are the same exact jersey as the Penguins and Senators, at least these aren't exactly the same as anyone else, granted they are similar. It says Tampa Bay on the white jersey only because it is their away jersey. These are much better than the current jerseys, their original ones were maybe better jerseys but this is a better logo.

I like 'em. I like how they're rolling out a whole new vision and brand. Not too long ago Tampa was a Stanley Cup champ and then fell off the face of the earth. It's nice to see a team get some stability and go forward with a good core of players and management. Yzerman and everyone are doing a great job in Tampa so far it seems. They do look a little close to Toronto, who also made a good change to their jerseys with the font change they made. Simple is usually better for jerseys.

Also, why are they doing it in the middle of the season?

Apparently they decided that as soon as they finished developing the jerseys, they'd release them, rather than designing them now and having someone who isn't them release them in the summer. This way there's buzz while people are still going in and out of the arena a few times a week. I don't really like that it's right in the middle of a season, I feel like they could have waited at least a few weeks, but I understand the theory anyway.