CLARKSON SIGNS w/TORONTO $36.75M / 7yrs

CaptainRafalski

I know -- that's what just hit me.  This is one of the nicest sincerest players to fans.  Leaf fans do not deserve him - they'll slaughter him and he'll have to hole up on the dressing room, and sound loop "no comment" for on his way to his car.  Well - that's where the life lesson is - not so much the hockey but human behavior. I think he'll be sheltered from it for the most part once the leafs make a stupid super star signing.  See THIS is where he needed the Suter buddy signing antic.

This is what hurts the most about him leaving, at least to me. He was always the nicest guy when you met him. Would always take a picture, sign whatever.

Someone had to take clarkson's spot though.

It's Zubrus' job to fill in for Clarkson. The only guy that could have actually filled in for Clarky is Horton, and that was evidently out of question.

Guys, you know I'm going to the fvck out of Clarkson, but I can be objective about the situation. He is going to be brutal in Toronto. Here, and maybe in Boston are the only place he could have kept on pace. But the thing everyone keeps avoiding is Clarkson's game. Toronto signed him as a tough, power forward to bring grit and scoring to the game. But really, his last two years with us, specifically this year his grit went out the window. As soon as he started getting some tough, in front of the net goals, his mind went straight to offense, somewhere his game can't afford to go, simply because he doesn't have the talent or the hands.

Now that he's inked such a big contract, maybe he'll relax and revert to his old game, or of course on the other hand, he could feel the pressure and take any and every shot he can.

Clarkson never was even close to being one of my favorite players so emotionally this is no skin off my back.

CR1976 is right, that contract has "bad contract" written all over it and glad the Devils didn't do it.

So far I think Lou has done a pretty good job at the FA market this off-season.

• Like 2

Is Clarkson more than a third liner FA? I don't think so...  :noclue:

Either Edmonton or Ottawa in all likelihood. Ottawa just gave up a ton for Ryan, they were desperate.

or they want Boston to kick the living sh!t out of them  :uni:  I can hear it now "Say -- why don't we take another route here..."

Edited by Pepperkorn

Ottawa just gave up a ton for Ryan, they were desperate.

They really didnt though. They didn't have to give up Zibanejad. It was a pretty fair deal really considering what Ryan gives Ottawa.

Edited by ghdi

Clarkson: "In my heart, being close to home and wearing that (Tor) jersey meant a lot to me... In my heart this is where I wanted to me."

glad Lou didnt figure out all of that and that he would ask WAY TOO MUCH to even consider keeping him. right?

Clarkson: "In my heart, being close to home and wearing that (Tor) jersey meant a lot to me... In my heart this is where I wanted to me."

glad Lou didnt figure out all of that and that he would ask WAY TOO MUCH to even consider keeping him. right?

I guess Ottawa and Edmonton should've figured that out yesterday, since he met with them

You know he would have made a similar speech no matter where he went, right? 

well they didnt lose anything other than some time.

The Devils didn't lose anything either. Clowe fills the spot nicely and can pass a puck. 

Hah, can't say this is a surprise. This is one of those instances where I am very glad the Devils did not try and match or best this deal. Terrible contract for sure. Clarkson was an okay player and a great guy, and it's a shame that he had to move on. But at that money and term length, forget it. I would bet good money that that contract gets bought out well before it concludes. This has disaster written all over it. I almost feel bad for Clarkson considering how much Leafs Nation is going to hate him in a couple years (at least). But he got his money, so I don't feel that bad for him.