What is the Devils Plan of Action Now Thread

grcenter47

Rick Nash

No. Its not that I dont think he'd be good here, it'd just cost entirely too much and his contract sucks. Nash is not UFA anytime soon, Howson will sit and wait until he gets what he wants. We got Kovy because Atlanta had to deal him so as not to get nothing.

No. Its not that I dont think he'd be good here, it'd just cost entirely too much and his contract sucks. Nash is not UFA anytime soon, Howson will sit and wait until he gets what he wants. We got Kovy because Atlanta had to deal him so as not to get nothing.

Yeah we did get Kovy but in return we lost someone who meant a lot to the team and fans. Might I also say our Captain.

Yeah we did get Kovy but in return we lost someone who meant a lot to the team and fans. Might I also say our Captain.

TG said the same thing but I'm not buying it. Zach was not going to be offered the same amount that the Wild offered him Kovy or no Kovy.

If you would rather have kept Zach over Kovy you didn't watch the playoffs this year, Kovy produced more without being able to skate.

While you are correct about this I would like to see if he can still have the same season he did without Parise.

Status quo.

It could be worse. Lou did a good job here -- made an effort to keep Zach, but didn't get stupid to do it. Long term, we're fine. I'd like to go for Versteeg, but offer sheets are risky.

Long term, we're fine.

I think this is a bit of a fallacy in some respects.

Next offseason: Zajac, Zubrus, Elias, Clarkson - all UFA. Henrique and Josefson RFA.

We also have an owner up to his neck in debt and a real possibility of bankruptcy having to be declared. I find it hard to believe that JVB will get any investors of significance and those investors doing so without a controlling interest. Bankruptcy means new ownership and a possible complete changing of this franchise as we know it, as it wont be like YankeeNets who got to vet the next buyer who was already one of their own. The NHL will sell to whomever has the money and agree to their terms of ownership. I'm not worried about the team moving at all because the NHL won't allow a sale to someone who will move us because of the TV contract and lease with the Pru. However, our long term potential is not certain right now because there is so much uncertainty. We don't know how long we're going to be penny pinching. I don't think there's any question this was a concern to Zach in his decision to leave.

While I'd love to see a signing or trade of significance, not only to improve this team, but to get the fanbase looking forward sooner since everyone is focused on the negativity of Zach leaving, the main thing Id like to see is Zajac locked up long term ASAP. I'm not worried about the RFAs or the other guys as much because I don't think Patty is going anywhere regardless, and a loss of Zubrus or Clarky would be a lot easier to handle.

I think this is a bit of a fallacy in some respects.

Next offseason: Zajac, Zubrus, Elias, Clarkson - all UFA. Henrique and Josefson RFA.

I don't see Lou losing Elias. He'll give him a fair deal, and that should be enough, since, unlike Zach, the media doesn't love him, and he won't cause a bidding war at his age. Clarkie is loyal. We now have enough cap space to be very generous with Zajac, Henrique and Josefson and lock them up for awhile. Zubs is replaceable, and I see Lou being fair with him as well. The ownership issue is a problem, but I don't see a new owner failing to come close to the cap -- most owners are willing to do that. Worst case scenario there we keep VBK and it stays uncertain. As long as we have Lou, I feel okay. Especially because we don't have to worry about Zach having an albatross of a contract.

I don't see Lou losing Elias. He'll give him a fair deal, and that should be enough, since, unlike Zach, the media doesn't love him, and he won't cause a bidding war at his age. Clarkie is loyal. We now have enough cap space to be very generous with Zajac, Henrique and Josefson and lock them up for awhile. Zubs is replaceable, and I see Lou being fair with him as well. The ownership issue is a problem, but I don't see a new owner failing to come close to the cap -- most owners are willing to do that. Worst case scenario there we keep VBK and it stays uncertain. As long as we have Lou, I feel okay. Especially because we don't have to worry about Zach having an albatross of a contract.

It takes time to complete a sale out of bankruptcy. I agree a new owner wont fail coming close to the cap with his new investment, but that sale wont happen overnight. Also, with new ownership, Lou is not guaranteed to still be here. That's the thing with the last sale. YankeeNets sold to one of their own who was a fan of the team and knew what Lou brought, a new owner could easily come in here and decide to clean out the front office + Lou may not want to start over with a complete unknown as an owner. There's just a lot of uncertainty. The longer Vanderbeek is in his hole, the longer this team will suffer with the uncertainty. The fact we lost a huge component of the franchise today does not help our attendance either.

I agree about Zach's contract and I agree about the other players you mentioned. Im not worried about Elias walking, but at the same time he was top 10 in the league this past season and someone may decide to give him a huge raise for 2 more years that we cant match if he has a similar output this year. The one I AM worried about is Zajac, because he will be a top UFA next year. I want him locked up ASAP.

I want zajac and Henrique extended asap

And sign Ryan or Semin pronto

We cant sign Ryan. We have to trade for him.