What is the Devils Plan of Action Now Thread

grcenter47

I think Detroit offers him a ridiculous contract.

One that I hope we don't match.

Wings do not overpay players too often. But I can see him going there or even here. His two way play is not terrible at all, it is extremely overblown.

Edited by Zubie#8

isnt evander kane a RFA? he would be pretty good with kovy

He would probably turn it down if he wants out of Winnipeg.

The problem with offer sheets is lets say we offered him a 6 year deal and he accepted, all the Jets would have to do is match it and he's stuck in Winnipeg + we dont have the compensation anyway. The Predators are daring people to offer Weber an offer sheet right now.

I'd give Semin the 7 year 50 million deal that Parise rejected during the season.

Semin isn't worth it. I would sign Semin to a 2-year $4 million deal TOPS. Until he can prove that he actually cares about winning no team is going to sign him for the long term. He will sign with the KHL before Detroit.

Semin isn't worth it. I would sign Semin to a 2-year $4 million deal TOPS. Until he can prove that he actually cares about winning no team is going to sign him for the long term. He will sign with the KHL before Detroit.

Semin is a more talented player than Parise. It's character that is the hang-up with him.

Semin is a more talented player than Parise. It's character that is the hang-up with him.

This. Semin's got one of the best wrist shots in the league and he showed while playing for Hunter, he can be a good teammate. Watch Semin's play from the Caps/Rags series. People knocked Kovy and he turned his game around once he got here. Kovy also showed even in Atlanta that he wanted to win, he just didn't know how. Semin's never showed that except that Rags series.

The only problem with signing Semin is that its probably going to take 6-7 years and a commitment of 7 million per. He's not going to take a paycut from 6.7 or a short term deal when he doesnt have to in this crazy market.

This. Semin's got one of the best wrist shots in the league and he showed while playing for Hunter, he can be a good teammate. Watch Semin's play from the Caps/Rags series. People knocked Kovy and he turned his game around once he got here. Kovy also showed even in Atlanta that he wanted to win, he just didn't know how. Semin's never showed that except that Rags series.

The only problem with signing Semin is that its probably going to take 6-7 years and a commitment of 7 million per. He's not going to take a paycut from 6.7 or a short term deal when he doesnt have to in this crazy market.

Yeah, he does. He had a poor season. The reason why he got 6.7M on a one year deal is because one year deals have very limited risk. The longer a deal goes, the more risk it incurs, and thus the payout is decreased to mitigate risk. A 6-7 year deal would probably go around 5.5M per - that's a ton of risk.

Semin would be dynamite on the Devils' PK the way it is now - that part of Parise's game would be replaced immediately.

Edited by Triumph

This argument might be somewhat contradictory, but the difference between Parise and Semin is the Parise has to work really hard for his goals to come, where as Semin has that natural ability to just find goals. Wouldn't it be nice to just have another guy who can just go do it himself along side Kovy? Personally I've been getting tired of seeing the Devils work so hard for a goal just to see the other teams come right down and score almost effortlessly. I know some of that could have been goaltending miscues but still, would be a nice change. I'm all for Semin.

Im all for Semin and would give him a long term deal right now if thats what it took to get him here. I'd love to see him playing with Kovy. The only thing is I dont think theres much of a chance this franchise goes for him.

No argument. Again, it's his character that will keep his talents from being rewarded.

Idk why people do not realize that Semin is not terrible in his own end he is not great but he is not terrible. He is already better than Kovy in that aspect. I remember him taking huge hit after huge hit along the boards just to make a play to clear the zone in the Bruin series. This would be a Low Risk High Reward signing in my opinion.

Then what part of Parise's game does Semin not replace?

Not as familiar with Semin's game as others probably are, but his work on the boards is where he won't measure up to Zach. Zach was the best at cycling and forechecking. I'm sure Semin can be taught. Still think someone will overpay for him though, and it won't be us.

Yeah, he does. He had a poor season. The reason why he got 6.7M on a one year deal is because one year deals have very limited risk. The longer a deal goes, the more risk it incurs, and thus the payout is decreased to mitigate risk. A 6-7 year deal would probably go around 5.5M per - that's a ton of risk.

You are correct, Triumph.

No GM is going to give him a longterm deal. The stereo type about Russian players not wanting to compete was brought back with Radulov. Semin already has this reputation when he ditched the Capitals for the KHL after his first year in the NHL. Most GM's are not going to take the risk, especially a top 10 team.

Edited by RedArmy8

Tell that to the Caps who are just letting him go.

We are not the Caps, we have enough defensively responsible players that can play with Semin if his 2 way play becomes an issue.

Edit: defensively responsible forwards*

Edited by Zubie#8

We are not the Caps, we have enough defensively responsible players that can play with Semin if his 2 way play becomes an issue.

The Caps D is fine. The issue with the Caps was they had no secondary scoring.

Then what part of Parise's game does Semin not replace?

Might not put up 30+ goals and he is not Parise on the backcheck or the PK. That's not to say I buy into the whole enigmatic Russian who has no heart thing. It's just Parise backchecks/works harder than just about everybody.

Not as familiar with Semin's game as others probably are, but his work on the boards is where he won't measure up to Zach. Zach was the best at cycling and forechecking. I'm sure Semin can be taught. Still think someone will overpay for him though, and it won't be us.

Yea, I guess boardwork is where Parise dominates. Someone is definitely going to overpay for Semin. He's the only good winger left. But given Lou's history of signing players when we lose stars - Semin seems like an appropriate move.

Edited by ben00rs