What is the Devils Plan of Action Now Thread

grcenter47

NJ would be the best fit for Semin. Kovy's already proved all the detractors wrong and could be a solid mentor for Semin. That is all depending if Semin wants to redeem himself.

Kovy is a different animal. Kovy has the respect of other players, and works to prove himself. Semin does not.

Theres a lot of Semin to NJ rumors on twitter. Too bad none of it looks credible :( lets relay the message to potvin!

Started by Semins agent because no one is willing to overpay a 54 point a year scorer.

Semin would actually give us something we need after losing Parise, I strongly believe that

But I hope and pray that he won't ask for a ton of money

Do we know what teams are talkin to him?

Unlikely that he has many suitors. His reputation is a big negative

The most prominent rumored teams:

Red Wings, Flyers, Penguins (now), Chicago

Red Wings by large have the most buzz.

Are these Ecklund based?

Wings are not interested, they are focusing solely on Defense.

Penguins not sure how they are going to give him a long term deal when they have to sign Malkin

Maybe Chicago, but they just finished sorting out their cap problems and need a goalie.

Are these Ecklund based?

Penguins not sure how they are going to give him a long term deal when they have to sign Malkin

Maybe Chicago, but they just finished sorting out their cap problems and need a goalie.

No they're not Єklund (2.3% accurate) based. Two of them are straight from Dreger's mouth. Dreger on NHL Live: Red Wings and Penguins have interest in Alex Semin.

If the Red Wings were only after defense, why would they be considering Rick Nash or Alex Semin? The Wings need a winger just as we do.

The Blackhawks and Flyers are new names that I've seen mentioned by beat reporters. And the Blackhawks and Flyers were also rumored in the Zach chase. The Hawks may have cap problems, but they have contracts that they can move. It all depends on the #s obviously.

Edited by ghdi

Would love to hear that the Devils are in the mix. Please don't let Barch be the only new player coming to this team. I can't fathom how bad a 4th line with Barch and Janssen would be.

Thing about the Devils is we'll only hear rumors from the other side. If the Devils are in, we won't know unless he signs here. Nobody in this franchise talks. Trade rumors are different because that comes out from the other side (i.e. Kovalchuk trade).

Everyone trashes Alex Semin for no reason in my opinion. He has potential. Did anyone see him this postseason? One of the only Capitals other than Holtby who DID play with "heart" (What does that even mean? Seriously.) He played as Hunter asked him to, blocking shots and backchecking hard. Has a laser of a shot. True scoring talent. Who is to say that he can't be coached into being a better player? And for those who say he's never been invested in WSH... Sometimes players need a change of scenery. I think he would be a great pickup as long as we don't overpay for him. He would definitely help replace the scoring in ZP's place, and if we could also get a full year of Zajac (expected) then we would be doing just fine.

Of course, who knows if he even wants to come here. I'd be a huge fan of that though. Just go to RMNB (Russian Machine Never Breaks), a Cap's blog. They love the guy. And remember, no players are perfect. But I think he could help.

No they're not Єklund (2.3% accurate) based. Two of them are straight from Dreger's mouth. Dreger on NHL Live: Red Wings and Penguins have interest in Alex Semin.

If the Red Wings were only after defense, why would they be considering Rick Nash or Alex Semin? The Wings need a winger just as we do.

The Blackhawks and Flyers are new names that I've seen mentioned by beat reporters. And the Blackhawks and Flyers were also rumored in the Zach chase. The Hawks may have cap problems, but they have contracts that they can move. It all depends on the #s obviously.

Dreger has to feed the tweet with something. Wings have traditionally built forwards on the low end UFA, (Bertuzzi, Cleary, etc). But right now they don't have a defense, so getting a wing is going to take a big backseat.

Flyers just signed Fedetanko so they aren't going for Semin (and I doubt that they ever were).

Chicago needs a goalie.

I thought Parise was going to get overpaid even more than he did, so I've been on the Semin bandwagon since day 1, since I think he'll end up as a better value at whatever contract he'll sign. That Caps team may be a mess in the locker room, coming to the Devils locker room can solve a lot of maturity issues for players, at times.

Everyone trashes Alex Semin for no reason in my opinion.

Some food for thought on Alex Semin:

Marc Crawford called the Russian winger a “complete loser”with “no character” .

“He’ll be banished to a place like Columbus or something like that, and that’s what those guys do,” Crawford said. “They head to the island of misfit toys.”

Then Pierre McGuire took his turn criticizing Semin.

“This is not a great teammate, I’m telling you right now. Not a good guy to have around your group unless you have unbelievably strong leadership,” McGuire said. “He’s the ultimate coach killer, that’s what he is.”

I can't find the quotes from some of his teammates but they are along the same lines.

Semin already has this reputation when he ditched the Capitals for the KHL after his first year in the NHL.

This isn't true. He went back to the KHL instead of going to Portland for the year during the lockout and then he had that mess where he had to do his army duties and wasn't allowed to come back to play for the Caps the year after the lockout.

“He’ll be banished to a place like Columbus or something like that, and that’s what those guys do,” Crawford said. “They head to the island of misfit toys.”

“This is not a great teammate, I’m telling you right now. Not a good guy to have around your group unless you have unbelievably strong leadership,” McGuire said. “He’s the ultimate coach killer, that’s what he is.”

I can't find the quotes from some of his teammates but they are along the same lines.

And then half the hockey world defended him.

TSN said all of this but ranked him in the top 5 free agents on the market. Those TSN comments were a joke. Our whole team is responible and they are all leaders, Semin would do good here.

Edited by Zubie#8

His agent doesn't count. Overall not that many came to his aid.

Here is a former teammate:

Bradley, who spent six seasons with the Capitals, also expressed disappointment in the team's coaching staff during the 2011 playoffs during his radio interview with Ottawa's TEAM 1200.

That's where the comments regarding Semin's performance began.

Bradley said he was disappointed in Semin's lack of effort, especially because he believes the Russian sniper "has so much talent, he could easily be the best player in the league and just for whatever reason, just doesn’t care."

Edited by RedArmy8

Are these Ecklund based?

Well they seemed to have room to give Zach a mega deal, didn't they? Semin shouldn't be a problem...

Right. Because Marc Crawford and Pierre McGuire are bastions of integrity that everyone should take seriously. What Crawford and McGuire did was wrong, whether they're right or not. Neither of them have coached him or played with him. I'd also say that the Devils are one of the teams that would fit the "strong leadership" that McGuire states is needed. That sh!t won't stand in New Jersey. Not with Lou, Larry, or probably even Kovy now.

That said, I don't think we're getting him nor do I think the Devils will even put in a competitive offer. I don't think they want to spend the money unless it was on Zach. At the most, I think Lou will put in a call to his agents and see what kind of deal he's looking for.

Here's what one of his coaches and GM had to say about him:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/30/boudreau-calls-semin-misunderstood/

IMO Semin needs a change of scenery to bounce back. The Capitals dressing room has been toxic for almost two seasons regardless of record. They fixed it a bit with Hunter, but even he is gone now.

McGuire is THE biggest tool affiliated with the NHL, hands down!

His agent doesn't count. Overall not that many came to his aid.

Here is a former teammate:

Bradley, who spent six seasons with the Capitals, also expressed disappointment in the team's coaching staff during the 2011 playoffs during his radio interview with Ottawa's TEAM 1200.

That's where the comments regarding Semin's performance began.

Bradley said he was disappointed in Semin's lack of effort, especially because he believes the Russian sniper "has so much talent, he could easily be the best player in the league and just for whatever reason, just doesn’t care."

If Semin could be the best player in the league - which he could not - then we should definitely sign him. Anyways, all this "he said, she said" stuff is stupid. The experienced posters on here won't say a damn thing about anything that goes on off the ice that's not a 100% confirmed offense. Your post reads like a 9th grader's gossip text message.

Edited by ben00rs

McGuire is THE biggest tool affiliated with the NHL, hands down!

And Id put Marc Crawford right up there too. This was the guy that egged Bertuzzi on to basically kill Steve Moore and laughed during the incident.