2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Gelinas in his first NHL year produced just as well as Schultz and isn't a dumpster fire in his own zone (though EG is not a defensive stalwart by any means). The Schultz contract sucks, but I don't see why Gelinas' agent couldn't get at least 2 million per year. Gelinas is a physical freak of nature and has so much more  room to grow

Gelinas was horrible in his own end and that's what got him scratched for a bunch of games this season.  Just because Schultz got overpaid doesn't mean Gelinas is deserving of it.  I agree with MD that anything over $1.5mil is way too much.

Gelinas was horrible in his own end and that's what got him scratched for a bunch of games this season.  Just because Schultz got overpaid doesn't mean Gelinas is deserving of it.  I agree with MD that anything over $1.5mil is way too much.

I think the problems with Gelinas had more to do with the neutral zone than the defensive zone.  When he started trying to stand people up at the red line was when he had issues.  Obviously no way to prove this, but I wouldn't be shocked if Stevens told him to throw the body around more. 

Wow that was a great scoop by FansFavorite.com on Gomez returning to the Devils. This site broke the story and has an inside team source. CHECK it OUT  http://www.fansfavorite.com/2014/08/sources-scott-gomez-to-return-to-nj.html

Looks like they're vamping up Devils coverage and looking for writers!

I'm really curious. Was this just a lucky guess? I mean, clearly whoever wrote the "article" has no knowledge of Devils hockey with a sentence like "Clearly Gomez could become a Devil Fans Favorite yet again." But at the same time, he did write it first. It could have been a lucky guess playing the odds of the Devils bringing back an old player, but this person probably doesn't know that with a sentence like the one above. 

My out of the blue guess... a young, close relative (son probably) of someone involved in the sports business based out of NY.  The person posted pics from a 2011 regular season where they had seats near the glass. 

edit: nevermind I actually know exactly who this is now, I met this person once. Small world.

Edited by StormJosh

If Gelinas gets a penny more than 1.5, that's insanity. That even seems like a lot. He has a lot to prove yet.

he has that super wicked shot and thats why he gets the attention he does, if he didnt have that shot he would pretty much be trash.. i sure hope he quickly starts to tighten up his game in his own end, once that happens he will be a pretty sweet gem.

• 2 weeks later...

This is premature, but if Gelinas is being this difficult after 60 games in the NHL - I'd almost be tempted to trade him.

It's tough. I bet the Devils are offering him Larsson money at one or two years and Gelinas was statistically one of the most effective dmen in the entire league. True, it was only 60 games and we clearly saw his defensive deficiencies but it's not like his agent has nothing to go on in regards to negotiations 

This is premature, but if Gelinas is being this difficult after 60 games in the NHL - I'd almost be tempted to trade him.

Yeah Gelinas needs to sign on the dotted line already. In the words of Steve Austin- shut up and know your role. Edited by MadDog2020

It's tough. I bet the Devils are offering him Larsson money at one or two years and Gelinas was statistically one of the most effective dmen in the entire league. True, it was only 60 games and we clearly saw his defensive deficiencies but it's not like his agent has nothing to go on in regards to negotiations 

Ummmm what?

Yeah, I think he's a little too new for this prima donna schtick. I can see him traded even if he signs if he's like this. (also, at the risk of exposing my wrestling nerdism, that was The Rock)

It doesn't help that Gilles Lupien is the agent- he and Lou can't stand each other. And yeah good call, that was The Rock lol.

If Gelinas isn't there for the first day of camp, this is a problem.  Until then it's just a guy trying to get a decent 2nd contract.

This isn't July/August anymore. Rookies are reporting after the weekend and Lupien basically came out two days ago saying Lou is being unreasonable which indicates they aren't close. You're right that it isn't an issue yet, but I think odds are that he is going to miss some time and that is pretty concerning because NJ is counting on Gelinas

This isn't July/August anymore. Rookies are reporting after the weekend and Lupien basically came out two days ago saying Lou is being unreasonable which indicates they aren't close. You're right that it isn't an issue yet, but I think odds are that he is going to miss some time and that is pretty concerning because NJ is counting on Gelinas

Lupien going to the press is a desperate move.  He doesn't have many options.  And there's still other guys out - DeKeyser, Krug, Brenden Dillon, Ryan Ellis.  

Lupien going to the press is a desperate move.  He doesn't have many options.  And there's still other guys out - DeKeyser, Krug, Brenden Dillon, Ryan Ellis.  

There are holdouts every offseason but I can't remember there being THIS many. I thought the shoe would drop with Schultz and Barrie signing a couple of weeks ago but alas.

as Lou always says- when you have time, use it.

I am not worried about the gelinas situation.

There is a tiny part of me that is waiting to see this ending up with Gelinas leaving.  Judging by the comments I see on here, other forums and FB group's, a large chunk of the fanbase will lose their sh!t because they see him as the second coming of Al MacInnis.

But I hope it works out for the best.

Which is also why this is bordering on career suicide for Gelinas.  But hey might as well indulge an agent's twenty-year old grudge.

Was it career suicide for Brendan Morrison, Bill Guerin, Jason Arnott, Petr Sykora, Patrik Elias, Bobby Holik, Scott Niedermayer (twice), etc.?  These players were all already more established.  I listed Morrison first because I think he is the best analogue.