2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I honestly think fayne is gone this offseason and we re-sign zidlicky. Fayne will be one of the most sought after ufa defenseman on July 1, so there will be a bidding war, and it might just be in Lou's best interest to let him go rather than pay over $4mil per and still have a logjam on the right side with trouble finding a spot for Larsson.

The alternative would be to amnesty Volch or sal like you said and use that space on fayne's raise but I just don't see Lou doing that.

I could see this happening, at least a bidding war for Fayne, but I can't see Lou going over 3.5 on Fayne.  Even 3.5 could be too much for Fayne.  He's been playing top pairing minutes with Greenie and I've really liked him because he's had to EARN his playing time, because he was in the DeBo doghouse for a while at the start of the season.  I won't care if Zidlicky leaves, but I could definitely see him back if Fayne does not return.  Fayne has been a great find and his contract is a bargain right now. 

EDIT: As for big UFAs, I see Boyle, Mejzaros, Markov, Corvo, Timmonen, Morris, Hainsey, Orpik.  That's not a sh!tty pool of UFAs, but must consider how many resign before FA hits (Boyle, Markov, Orpik)

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Edited by RizzMB30

LA had been underachieving and got new life when they fired their coach.  Don't get me wrong, Carter helped the Kings a lot.  But you can't really characterize him as an elite player that made a bad team a Stanley Cup winner.  But the point otherwise was that Philly did not really get fleeced in the Carter deal, or really the Richards deal for that matter.   

They went 25-13-11 under Sutter, which works out to .622 - that's pretty good, but doesn't scream 'cup contender'.  

No one is an elite player who makes a bad team a Cup winner.

I also don't see Fayne generating a ton of interest UFA - I don't think teams trust guys from NJ with no pedigree elsewhere.

I also don't see Fayne generating a ton of interest UFA - I don't think teams trust guys from NJ with no pedigree elsewhere.

Not a ton of outstanding UFA defensemen this summer.  Paul Martin fits the profile of a NJ defensemen with no pedigree elsewhere, unless you're talking about college and draft slot.  That said, I think a 3 year, $9 million deal is about what he could expect.  What constitutes a bidding war is relative, but I think he's definitely one of those guys that's good enough to go in the first couple hours of free agency if he's unsigned by then.

EDIT:  Well, if you think that hockey writers can be a decent barometer of how your average NHL GM thinks, Fayne wasn't in Custance's top 25 UFAs.  So maybe Fayne does not get paid as much as I originally thought.

Edited by Daniel

I could see this happening, at least a bidding war for Fayne, but I can't see Lou going over 3.5 on Fayne. Even 3.5 could be too much for Fayne. He's been playing top pairing minutes with Greenie and I've really liked him because he's had to EARN his playing time, because he was in the DeBo doghouse for a while at the start of the season. I won't care if Zidlicky leaves, but I could definitely see him back if Fayne does not return. Fayne has been a great find and his contract is a bargain right now.

EDIT: As for big UFAs, I see Boyle, Mejzaros, Markov, Corvo, Timmonen, Morris, Hainsey, Orpik. That's not a sh!tty pool of UFAs, but must consider how many resign before FA hits (Boyle, Markov, Orpik)

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

yeah I really hope we can keep him at 3.5 or less but i think he's going to get some better offers than that. The difference between everyone you listed and fayne is that he's only 26, is a righty and has been getting top pairing minutes and can play in different situations. He will be one of the most attractive d ufa's out there for many teams.

If DeBoer's doing what I think he's doing (and hopefully being reasonable):

Schneider gets Florida,

Brodeur gets Tampa Bay, with 

Schneider slated for the tough Boston home game and possibly the homestand, as his job to lose this weekend.

This is the first time in a while that Schneider would get the "easier" of a series of games and Brodeur would get the harder. I think Brodeur still needs to convince Pete against a tough Tampa Bay offense (or Schneider has to really mess up against Florida), but I see Schneider getting the bulk of next week's starts, possibly even the Rangers game.

If DeBoer's doing what I think he's doing (and hopefully being reasonable):

Schneider gets Florida,

Brodeur gets Tampa Bay, with 

Schneider slated for the tough Boston home game and possibly the homestand, as his job to lose this weekend.

This is the first time in a while that Schneider would get the "easier" of a series of games and Brodeur would get the harder. I think Brodeur still needs to convince Pete against a tough Tampa Bay offense (or Schneider has to really mess up against Florida), but I see Schneider getting the bulk of next week's starts, possibly even the Rangers game.

I think this was simply to let Cory face Luongo. Cory needs a perfect game to get back in the mix.

I think this was simply to let Cory face Luongo. Cory needs a perfect game to get back in the mix.

We'll see in a few days, I hope you're wrong!

I think we all know, emotion/goal-support/coincidence/luck aside, the better goalie really needs to be in net against Boston, Minnesota, and New York, no other way around it.

This is ridiculous.  Cory is always 'in the mix'.  Brodeur's started 3 straight twice all year, and he's never started 4 in a row.  He's not getting back to backs unless Schneider gets hurt.

Edited by Triumph

This is ridiculous.  Cory is always 'in the mix'.  Brodeur's started 3 straight twice all year, and he's never started 4 in a row.  He's not getting back to backs unless Schneider gets hurt.

Not ridiculous. My main point is Cory probably has to give up 1 goal or less for the Devils to have a chance to win. If he loses to Florida 2-1 and Brodeur wins against Tampa (3-0 or 5-3), Brodeur continues to start.

Yes, Schneider will always be an option, but Brodeur is slotted as the #1 right now. Cory needs a really good game to put pressure on Deboer.

Cory has to face Boston and the Rags. Marty against Minnesota would be acceptable

I'd rather cory against minni, just because I think no matter whose in net boston is going to beat us.

That being said Cory has been really shaky since the break, I'm a big propnent of having him start and marty sit but he does need to be slightly accountable for his recent play. It has not been up to snuff. The red wings game he was hung out to dry, but he still looked shaky all game even with more routine saves.

Edited by Sneax

Not ridiculous. My main point is Cory probably has to give up 1 goal or less for the Devils to have a chance to win. If he loses to Florida 2-1 and Brodeur wins against Tampa (3-0 or 5-3), Brodeur continues to start.

Yes, Schneider will always be an option, but Brodeur is slotted as the #1 right now. Cory needs a really good game to put pressure on Deboer.

That's insane.  If Cory wins and Brodeur loses, Cory probably gets the next start, and then go from there.  This is usually the way he's played it, with some exceptions for either guy.

I'd rather cory against minni, just because I think no matter whose in net boston is going to beat us.

That being said Cory has been really shaky since the break, I'm a big propnent of having him start and marty sit but he does need to be slightly accountable for his recent play. It has not been up to snuff. The red wings game he was hung out to dry, but he still looked shaky all game even with more routine saves.

Two games, really. Red Wings game and a very tough Sharks team where he played "okay". Not really fair to use those two games to undo a month and a half of superb performances, many games in which he stood on his head. That's the goalie we want to go with down the stretch, get him into the groove now.

Two games, really. Red Wings game and a very tough Sharks team where he played "okay". Not really fair to use those two games to undo a month and a half of superb performances, many games in which he stood on his head. That's the goalie we want to go with down the stretch, get him into the groove now.

I agree, but I think its important to aknowledge he hasn't exactly been good since the break. He needs to pick up his game.

Edited by Sneax

That's insane.  If Cory wins and Brodeur loses, Cory probably gets the next start, and then go from there.  This is usually the way he's played it, with some exceptions for either guy.

I can't believe you are saying my theory is insane after everything that has happened with the goalie situation this season.

I am not saying if Cory wins and Brodeur loses, he won't get the next start. I am saying Cory needs an excellent game to get a look at the next game after Tampa. If Cory wins 3-2 and Brodeur wins 4-3, who gets the next game? What about if Cory wins 3-0 and Brodeur wins 4-2? 

Edited by devilsrule33

I can't believe you are saying my theory is insane after everything that has happened with the goalie situation this season.

I am not saying if Cory wins and Brodeur loses, he won't get the next star. I am saying Cory needs an excellent game to get a look at the next game after Tampa. If Cory wins 3-2 and Brodeur wins 4-3, who gets the next game? What about if Cory wins 3-0 and Brodeur wins 4-2? 

I think yeah in that case Brodeur gets the next start, but I think Cory would get the next start after that one regardless of what happened with Brodeur.