• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

That is absolutely preposterous. The FANS are what create the demand to pay players millions of dollars. The owners are merely an overly well funded conduit.

Sadly neither side gives a damn about us.

an absolute failure of schools to get american children to understand basic economics is really the root cause if 90% of our country's problems...

Having barely anything being made in America is even a bigger problem.

Might be some hope.

@JSportsnet Bill Daly just confirmed that he was in Toronto to meet withe the NHLPA today.

@reporterchris CBA talks have quietly resumed in Toronto with a meeting of the Big Four: Bettman, Daly, Fehr brothers.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL and NHLPA met in Toronto today. Slated to meet again over the weekend”

@TheFourthPeriod: Bettman, Daly and the Fehr bros will be in talks all weekend (either phone or in person) before setting up official/formal talks.

@TheFourthPeriod: According to source, today's talks touched on "wide-range of issues" and over the weekend they'll touch on just about the entire situation.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Told that NHL strongly urged NHLPA in meeting today to come up with new offer. In turn, NHLPA also asked league to come up with new offer...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: In short, both sides expressing to each other that it's time to compromise

I remember that one was announced to be close to coming to an end seemingly every few weeks until finally they announced that the whole season was scrapped. At one point during the winter it was reported by a few places that they had actually reached an agreement, but it turned out to be false. THAT was excruciating.

Might be some hope.

@JSportsnet Bill Daly just confirmed that he was in Toronto to meet withe the NHLPA today.

@reporterchris CBA talks have quietly resumed in Toronto with a meeting of the Big Four: Bettman, Daly, Fehr brothers.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL and NHLPA met in Toronto today. Slated to meet again over the weekend”

@TheFourthPeriod: Bettman, Daly and the Fehr bros will be in talks all weekend (either phone or in person) before setting up official/formal talks.

@TheFourthPeriod: According to source, today's talks touched on "wide-range of issues" and over the weekend they'll touch on just about the entire situation.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Told that NHL strongly urged NHLPA in meeting today to come up with new offer. In turn, NHLPA also asked league to come up with new offer...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: In short, both sides expressing to each other that it's time to compromise

. Fingers crossed that this leads somewhere. They should all lock themselves in a room and not come out til there's a deal.

Sounds good to me:

@walsha: After spending most of the day on the phone, the one truth no one on the NHL side wants us to know- Bettman is losing control of his room.

@walsha: Over the next few days, I'll be able to share facts on NHL owners who don't support the lockout and want to play now. Figure it out.

@walsha: Why did Bettman/Daly sneak into Toronto for secret meeting w/ the NHLPA? He's feeling heat from owners. Being told, "we can't lose season."

Sounds good to me:

@walsha: After spending most of the day on the phone, the one truth no one on the NHL side wants us to know- Bettman is losing control of his room.

@walsha: Over the next few days, I'll be able to share facts on NHL owners who don't support the lockout and want to play now. Figure it out.

@walsha: Why did Bettman/Daly sneak into Toronto for secret meeting w/ the NHLPA? He's feeling heat from owners. Being told, "we can't lose season."

. Beautiful. Hopefully the owners who want to play keep applying the pressure.

How credible is allen walsh? judging by a lot of his tweets he seems extremely biased in favor of the players. Just wondering if his bias is making this seem more positive than it actually is.
. Allen Walsh is an agent, so he's going to be more pro-player, obviously. I'm sure he knows a lot more than most on this.

How credible is allen walsh? judging by a lot of his tweets he seems extremely biased in favor of the players. Just wondering if his bias is making this seem more positive than it actually is.

I saw a few reports that basically said the same thing, even News12 sports report just said that the owners are not happy that 8 of them are running the show and a deal needs to be made.

you guys are going to drive yourselves nuts by following twitter and when they're talking and what they're talking about and etc. these things are no action and then action all at once. they will meet with BS for at least the next month, unless something significantly changes. then around mid-november they will get serious. i still believe there will be a deal struck around early december that the season will begin january 1 with the winter classic and that they'll play a 60-ish game season.

i don't believe allan walsh. i do believe that there are some owners who are unhappy with the prospect of a missed season. but i don't think anyone is really threatening that right now.

Edited by Triumph

you guys are going to drive yourselves nuts by following twitter and when they're talking and what they're talking about and etc. these things are no action and then action all at once. they will meet with BS for at least the next month, unless something significantly changes. then around mid-november they will get serious. i still believe there will be a deal struck around early december that the season will begin january 1 with the winter classic and that they'll play a 60-ish game season.

i don't believe allan walsh. i do believe that there are some owners who are unhappy with the prospect of a missed season. but i don't think anyone is really threatening that right now.

Hey it is something to do at work :)

Its no surprise that all this talk occurred after Daly met with major sponsor executives the other day. Hopefully one side will have a new proposal this week.

I don't entirely disagree, and thought all along the same as you - that the season would begin in January.

However, maybe some owners are finally realizing the game isn't going to go on status quo if there's another major lockout. Maybe a lot of fans are demanding refunds, or canceling their tickets, things that would put pressure on the owners. The mere fact they're even talking now (and so soon after games have been canceled) has to be seen as somewhat of a positive compared to the fact there was no negotiation at all for months at a time during '04. Not to mention they don't 'need' a lockout the way they did in '04.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The NHL hates VBK though, I don't think they'd let him have a big voice in this either way.

Which makes it kind of hard for us Devils fans to show our disapproval at the box office. I believe, too, that they'll get a deal done in time for the Winter Classic, and we'll have an abbreviated season. But I've also kind of been thinking that if it does happen that they cancel the entire season, I would protest by canceling my Season Tickets for next year. The problem is that I feel pretty sure the Devils ownership is eager to get the season going. I don't want to punish my team, I want a way to punish the league.

Which makes it kind of hard for us Devils fans to show our disapproval at the box office. I believe, too, that they'll get a deal done in time for the Winter Classic, and we'll have an abbreviated season. But I've also kind of been thinking that if it does happen that they cancel the entire season, I would protest by canceling my Season Tickets for next year. The problem is that I feel pretty sure the Devils ownership is eager to get the season going. I don't want to punish my team, I want a way to punish the league.

That is the real dilema here. By not renewing your season tickets and not buying team merchandise, you are really hurting the Devils much more than the NHL, at a time when this team needs every $ it can get. I would love to give a big FU to the NHL and Gary Bettman, but I will not do it at the expense of the Devils (which is precisely what Bettman is banking on in these negotiations). I just hope he shows up to the Rock for a game or 2 so we can give him a taste of Jersey hospitality and let him know how we feel about him once again...

Another week was just written off, what a joke! Are these guys for real?!

@TGfireandice

So, CBA talks Wednesday and Thursday in NYC again won't be on core economic issues.

Wow. I guess it's pretty clear that these guys are in no way worried about a possible mass-exodus of fans like we saw with baseball in 1994. I'm not saying I think there will be one (personally, I think there will be a more noticeable dropoff the longer this goes on), but it's apparent that the NHL and NHLPA are more than willing to risk it.

We've seen that half-season lockouts really don't hurt the bottom line - the NBA did not suffer much as a result of their impasse. If the players make an offer that's interpreted as caving, the owners will hold their feet to the fire until they cave entirely.

The concern is that 2 months of them playing cat and mouse has each side upset at the other and not making decisions that are in their best interest.

That is the real dilema here. By not renewing your season tickets and not buying team merchandise, you are really hurting the Devils much more than the NHL, at a time when this team needs every $ it can get. I would love to give a big FU to the NHL and Gary Bettman, but I will not do it at the expense of the Devils (which is precisely what Bettman is banking on in these negotiations). I just hope he shows up to the Rock for a game or 2 so we can give him a taste of Jersey hospitality and let him know how we feel about him once again...

I don't sanction violence against human beings, and I have to keep reminding myself it's just a game (although the arena workers who are losing their livelihoods would differ, I'm not one of them, and selfishly speaking, much as I'd like to be better, I care more about missing hockey), but there's a part of me that would like to meet Gary Bettman and hurt him. Badly. If somebody else did it, I would probably have mixed feelings (again, he's a person), but he's just a piece of sh!t scumbag, as is that clown in Boston Jacobs and a couple of other owners.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.