Salvador officially named captain

SterioDesign

Toews Crosby were young.... Yes but they raise the cup.... I say it should be Kovy. He is inspiring when he plays and show emotions on the ice... (Langenbrunner was like that , Scott stevens too) I find Salvador Too shy.

He cares and defend his teamates (ask brayden schenn)

He did a big job with the SKA and his team was the first in the KHL

I may be wrong but i may be right too :P....

I just think we will have the best of kovalchuk and of the Devils if the russian wear the C on the crest.

Somebody already write on it (Im happy Kovy can now lead article)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The C is not a popularity contest and the C should not automatically go to the best player on the team points-wise.

The captain is the in-between with the refs and the coaching staff. Language barriers (Kovalchuk is not a native English speaker) do not help with this.

The captain has to be a leader on the ice and in the locker room. We don't see Salvador in the locker room but the coaches do--that should tell you something.

The captain has experience, leadership qualities, proven himself under stressful situations and is a team player. Salvador's career could have been over two years ago but he came back stronger and better than at any point in his career.

I laughed when Crosby was named captain of the Penguins at such a young age. If I was a 35 year old NHL veteran, I wouldn't have taken him seriously, even if he put up 200 points a season.

I think Kovy's native language is irrelevant. He speaks fluent English, and just has an accent. Kovalchuk has led his national team, his prior team, his Russian teams. Not enough experience to lead the Devils? Please. There also has been nothing but praise about Kovy in the locker room since the moment he joined this team. IMO this KHL business was a whole lot of nothing.

That said, I have no problem with Sal as the Captain. If the organization believes he's the man for the job, I'm with the team. From my perspective, Kovalchuk gives us an option that has a potential marketability. Sal is a blue-collar hockey player. He's going to be perfect for the fans of this team. It's more outside perspective that Kovy would help influence.

It doesn't have to go to the best player on the team points wise, but most of the time, that player is the best player on the team and those type of players tend to be leaders. Kovy has probably been captain of every team he's been part of since he was a kid.

The article points to Elias as to the source of why Salvador would get the 'C'. I do get the feeling that Elias doesn't like Kovy very much. I think he thinks he is getting special treatment from a team that is known for not doing that sort of thing and he resents him for that and I think there is other reasons.

The article points to Elias as to the source of why Salvador would get the 'C'. I do get the feeling that Elias doesn't like Kovy very much. I think he thinks he is getting special treatment from a team that is known for not doing that sort of thing and he resents him for that and I think there is other reasons.

I'm kind of getting that suspicion as well.

I feel the coaching staff knows more than any of us who would be the right choice for captain. I'm cool with whoever they choose and I don't feel that the captain necessarily has to be a star player.

I was going to say the same thing. The coaches know these guys a hell of a lot better than we do.

Who cares? We don't give out the "C" for marketing purposes.

Sal is a definite lock over Kovy for Captain. He's got more playoff experience with the Blues and the Devils. And when it came time to step it up in the playoffs he delivered. He'll be a great leader.

And kovi didnt deliever? Pretty sure kovi actually lead in points in the play offs. Yeah sal put up points but i can bet it will never happen again. So many people wanted sal gone in the middle of last year. And because he had a good playoff he should havethe C? Before last season it was between zach and kovy for the C. Sal wasnt even part of the descussion. I dont get why all of a sudden everyone is in love with him. I think its because its kovi. People are still pissed about his contract and still think hes not worth the money. Thats all garbage. Sal deffinetly deserves an A but no way a C. This isnt sals team its kovi`s

Edited by nmm90392

And kovi didnt deliever? Pretty sure kovi actually lead in points in the play offs. Yeah sal put up points but i can bet it will never happen again. So many people wanted sal gone in the middle of last year. And because he had a good playoff he should havethe C? Before last season it was between zach and kovy for the C. Sal wasnt even part of the descussion. I dont get why all of a sudden everyone is in love with him. I think its because its kovi. People are still pissed about his contract and still think hes not worth the money. Thats all garbage. Sal deffinetly deserves an A but no way a C. This isnt sals team its kovi`s

okay. whatever. you win.

It's not about points. It's about who leads the locker room. Apparently the coaches think Salvador does that. He led the 'no-name' defense last year in the playoffs. Before Parise got named captain, several players were asked who should be the captain. The names that came up were Parise, Elias (who didn't like being captain) and Salvador. He's respected by the rest of the team, and maybe Kovy hasn't earned that from the players yet. His moodiness at times probably doesn't help him. Salvador is the prototypical Devil. He's all about the team above all else. Kovy doesn't seem to be at that point yet.

When he gets asked about Kovy he pretty much says he doesn't want to answer the question and everyone has a different opinion on it, but basically answers the question anyway because of how he says it. However, her is then asked if it bothers him and he flat out says no.

Edited by NJDevils1214

thats what i feel too and tried to expressed earlier.

I can't think of a better way to tell the league that we are the Devils and we win with unsung heroes, not superstars that automatically get praised for nothing they have achieved cough*ufa's*cough

Didn't you know? $7+ million cap hit automatically makes a player a top 10 talent, as per the new CBA.

Sadly, fans play amateur psychologist too often in these instances. I have no idea what goes on in that locker room, or who's friends with who, or who's pissed at who. None of us do. These guys all get their quotes picked apart far too much, by too many parties...I can understand more and more why some guys choose to say as little to the press as possible, or nothing at all. Yeah, there's probably some Devils players who weren't tickled about Kovy and the whole Russian debacle...but he's here now and it's done. I'd like to think it's not going to be some stupid lingering thing.

Best thing about hockey starting on Saturday is that we will able to talk about ON ice stuff, finally!

Sadly, fans play amateur psychologist too often in these instances. I have no idea what goes on in that locker room, or who's friends with who, or who's pissed at who. None of us do. These guys all get their quotes picked apart far too much, by too many parties...I can understand more and more why some guys choose to say as little to the press as possible, or nothing at all. Yeah, there's probably some Devils players who weren't tickled about Kovy and the whole Russian debacle...but he's here now and it's done. I'd like to think it's not going to be some stupid lingering thing.

Best thing about hockey starting on Saturday is that we will able to talk about ON ice stuff, finally!

Agreed on the point about fans not knowing what goes on inside the locker room.

That being said, it is a little eye-opening when both alternates from the previous season get passed over for the captaincy. Did Sal wear the A at all last season?

Agreed on the point about fans not knowing what goes on inside the locker room.

That being said, it is a little eye-opening when both alternates from the previous season get passed over for the captaincy. Did Sal wear the A at all last season?

He did whenever one of the A's was out. I think he did in the playoff game that Kovy missed, too.