GDT: New Jersey @ Ottawa 3/20/12

Mayday

I dont like this habit they've gotten into lately. They're spending way too much time behind the nets. On D, they get caught in their zone behind the net and on offence they spend too much time behind their opponents net. They have no one in the slot and they're trying to cram every goal in instead of working the slots (except, of course, the pp). They've had great success this year from the half board and yet they put 3 players behind the net.

12 down, 5 to go. Not a bad showing thus far at all. If they win just one of these last five they're guaranteed to finish March at a minimum of .500, which I believe was your hope at the month's start.

And from here on out it actually isn't that bad. No more back-to-backs. They have two two-day breaks between games in these last two and a half weeks (whereas their last two-day break was three weeks ago). Of the eight remaining games, four are against teams out of the playoff picture, five are at home, and the farthest they have to travel is Detroit (with Pittsburgh and Carolina being the other remaining away games). As far as the brutality of the March schedule goes, the worst of it has passed ... on paper, at least.

Actually, my hope was 20 points for the month. So three over NHL-.500 (something like 10-7-0, 9-6-2, etc.). They need five more over the next five to achieve that...pretty do-able.

Actually, my hope was 20 points for the month. So three over NHL-.500 (something like 10-7-0, 9-6-2, etc.). They need five more over the next five to achieve that...pretty do-able.

Ah, my bad. Toronto, at Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa, and at Carolina remain in March. Five in five is definitely doable.