‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Those contracts are circumventing the cap, if the league lets this go how does it justify punishing NJ for an almost identical deal!!!!

Wild won't lose picks because the NHL and NHLPA made an aamendment to the CBA after the Kovy fiasco. But the original penalty of cap circumvention stood for NJ.

Ledger_NJDevils: Parise: "Ryan and I had talked throughout the year. You always say, 'Wouldn't it be great to have thew chance to play with each other?' "

well thats great.

I think that this right here allows devils fans to be pissed off. The guy was obviously never coming back

They are better than Kovy's first deal but worst than his second in their total as 10 year deals, BUT, they have a significantly higher cap hit.

Obviously as pointed out this doesn't matter anyway, there are guidelines and only a moron could violate them.

it wasn't an identical deal. jesus christ, go look at the original kovalchuk deal. it had 6 years at $550,000 going until he was 44.

true, the original Kovy deal was laughable. But this is worse than the second Kovy deal and it's for 2 players. Not gonna be rejected but it is somewhat comical.

it wasn't an identical deal. jesus christ, go look at the original kovalchuk deal. it had 6 years at $550,000 going until he was 44.

Which would have easily been lower than implied minimum. I don't understand why they thought they could do that.

At least we're not the Predators now. They're so losing Shea Weber.

I believe Poile when he says he didn't get to make a matching offer - the Preds have the most Cap space right now. He def would have matched.

Let's calm down a little. He took more money to play with a close friend who happens to be an All Star and the best free agent dman on the market, in the city where he grew up, in a different conference. This isn't Gomez or Holik going to the Rags. I think he meant it when he said it was a tough decision. He liked us, but not enough. He earned the right to do what he wanted, and he didn't drag it out to the point where we can't make a move. Boston lost Phil Kessel and won a cup a few years later. I wish we'd lost Zach to an offer sheet when he was RFA, but by keeping him, we ran to the finals, which I can't complain about. We got beat. It happens. Let's hope Lou's smart with the reloading.

Contracts cannot be allowed none to less, correct? regardless if no punishment or not!!!!

No the NHL agreed to sign off on all contracts without review of salary parameters or length. Although I'm confused as to "none to less"

Edited by TheMazz

I think that this right here allows devils fans to be pissed off. The guy was obviously never coming back

its seriously like if your girlfriend is always talking to "that guy" and keep on saying that its nothing that he's just a friend and they keep on talking... its "not cheating" but then she broke up with you and go out with "that guy".... then was it really "not cheating" ?

lol super gay comparison but its kinda like that

This is the one argument I don't get. Minnesota IS a contender now. Koivu, Heatley, Parise, Suter.

But heatley is clearly on a downward trend. ZP and Suter may help reverse this, but his past three years indicate that he is past his prime. Now that isn't to say he isn't a contributor, but nothing dominating like he once was. as for their defense, I am not terribly informed, but looking at the roster quickly, I don't see all the much beyond Suter. He will log a LOT of minutes..... Hope he eats his Wheaties.

Anyway, I tend to agree that the Wild weren't competitive and that they still aren't, although it is possible that signing Zp and Suter may bring them to the very edge of competing for a playoff spot. Problem is that these two contracts make stocking up on talent from here forward quite difficult, IMHO, especially if one or both pull and Gomez and underperform. That will utterly devastate the Wild's ability to compete, just like Crosby getting smacked on the noggin might handicap the Pens for years. Scott Stevens, calling Scott Stevens.... Where are you?

Edited by AEWHistory

Difference between Kovy's current deal and Parise's is Kovy has an incentive to play the last two years of his deal, he gets paid 3 million and then 4 million if he plays.....Parise would only make a million a year!!!THATS NOT CIRCUMVENTING THE CAP?????

Edited by Kovalchukforlife17

Let's calm down a little. He took more money to play with a close friend who happens to be an All Star and the best free agent dman on the market, in the city where he grew up, in a different conference. This isn't Gomez or Holik going to the Rags. I think he meant it when he said it was a tough decision. He liked us, but not enough. He earned the right to do what he wanted, and he didn't drag it out to the point where we can't make a move. Boston lost Phil Kessel and won a cup a few years later. I wish we'd lost Zach to an offer sheet when he was RFA, but by keeping him, we ran to the finals, which I can't complain about. We got beat. It happens. Let's hope Lou's smart with the reloading.

To play with his friend? What's this t- ball?

Difference between Kovy's current deal and Parise's is Kovy has an incentive to play the last two years of his deal, he gets paid 3 million and then 4 million if he plays.....Parise would only make a million a year!!!THATS NOT CIRCUMVENTING THE CAP?????

He's not playing the last two years of his deal, he'd basically be making minimum salary at that point beforehand, for 3 years.

There is no circumventing the cap anymore, they have clear rules in place and only the dumbest of dumb GM's could violate them.

its seriously like if your girlfriend is always talking to "that guy" and keep on saying that its nothing that he's just a friend and they keep on talking... its "not cheating" but then she broke up with you and go out with "that guy".... then was it really "not cheating" ?

lol super gay comparison but its kinda like that

That's actually not an out of line comparison. Or like Chesnokov tweeted after he said he was talking with Suter, 'I thought he was supposed to be talking with his fiancee?'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.