Tootoo signed to one year deal (825K)

ghdi

Don't like it, but at least it's only 1 year and maybe they can get a 4th or 5th for him at the deadline.

Tootoo was pretty bad last year even during his little offensive streak. It's a quick signing for Shero, and it does concern me that a lot of the input he's getting about the team is from Lou, Oates and Stevens (which is understandable), but it was clear who those guys really liked, and those players were all ranging from irrelevant to downright bad.

I'm expecting Shero to lean on Lou for a bit, and that might mean Gomez, Fraser, Zubrus, are back in addition to Tootoo, but as long as it's for 1 year, it does't bother me all that much. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Tootoo was pretty bad last year even during his little offensive streak. It's a quick signing for Shero, and it does concern me that a lot of the input he's getting about the team is from Lou, Oates and Stevens (which is understandable), but it was clear who those guys really liked, and those players were all ranging from irrelevant to downright bad.

Oye vey. It's a one year deal at close to the league minimum. He scored some goals, and it's not like there's a boatload of talent out there for the taking. If you want to read a lot into it, it's positive in that it's a pretty good sign that they won't be overpaying for a free agent forward that doesn't advance things all that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at this as a checking line signing... simple and straight forward. This would be considered a "baseline" move.

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

I'm expecting Shero to lean on Lou for a bit, and that might mean Gomez, Fraser, Zubrus, are back in addition to Tootoo, but as long as it's for 1 year, it does't bother me all that much. 

Shero was AGM in Nashville when Tootoo was breaking into the NHL.  So this is a player he 'knows'

Shero was AGM in Nashville when Tootoo was breaking into the NHL. So this is a player he 'knows'

Good point to bring up before people throw themselves in front of buses that they might bring everybody else back.

God some of you guys are worse with the fatalism than HF.  If it wasn't Tootoo it'd be some other stiff getting a similar salary playing on the fourth line.  Just so long as he stays on the fourth line there's no issue, if not then we have bigger problems than Tootoo himself anyway.

Edited by NJDevs26

its one year. what kid is he blocking? as long as matteau and boucher get their shot, who cares. i'm not going to measure him on this move - it really doesn't say anything about anything.

It says he's willing to sign 4th liners to deals they don't merit, financially, and partly based on 'knowledge' of the player from 10 years ago.  Now it doesn't matter for the Devils because they will be millions under the cap anyway, but this wasn't something he excelled at in Pittsburgh, either.

Edited by Triumph

It says he's willing to sign 4th liners to deals they don't merit, financially, and partly based on 'knowledge' of the player from 10 years ago. Now it doesn't matter for the Devils because they will be millions under the cap anyway, but this wasn't something he excelled at in Pittsburgh, either.

It's a one year deal at basically the league minimum. That's what a fourth liner on a team with no forward depth gets. And the ten goals he might get us probably more than Matteau or Boucher will get with comparable playing time.

It's not a big deal.

It's a one year deal at basically the league minimum. That's what a fourth liner on a team with no forward depth gets. And the ten goals he might get us probably more than Matteau or Boucher will get with comparable playing time.

It's not a big deal.

Tootoo does not score close to 10 goals if he doesn't get the opportunity to play on the PP or get big minutes with Zajac and Cammalleri. That can't happen unless you want to finish bottom 5 again. Hey, I'm okay with that.

Shero was named GM this week. Within a few days he is signing Tootoo. The signing itself is not a big deal, but the timing is the surprise and what may bother me more than anything else. You have time to spend evaluating the roster, the organizational depth, the free agent market, maybe even watch video and look at some underlying numbers. 

Instead, he's signed immediately. Was the decision made because of the recommendation from Lou/Oates/Stevens with the added knowledge Shero has of the player from a decade ago? If so, the second part is annoying. It's basically Shero saying, "you love Tootoo, I remember when I drafted him in 12 years ago, no reason to wait, let's do this now."

Edited by devilsrule33

Tootoo does not score close to 10 goals if he doesn't get the opportunity to play on the PP or get big minutes with Zajac and Cammalleri. That can't happen unless you want to finish bottom 5 again. Hey, I'm okay with that.

Shero was named GM this week. Within a few days he is signing Tootoo. The signing itself is not a big deal, but the timing is the surprise and what may bother me more than anything else. You have time to spend evaluating the roster, the organizational depth, the free agent market, maybe even watch video and look at some underlying numbers.

Instead, he's signed immediately. Was the decision made because of the recommendation from Lou/Oates/Stevens with the added knowledge Shero has of the player from a decade ago? If so, the second part is annoying.

So would you prefer he took his time and signed Vermette to a five year deal?

Again, look at the length and money, ask if it prevents something beneficial the team might otherwise do. The answer is a definitive no.

This news is about as important as another Party Poker sponsorship.

It's not a big deal.

It's nowhere close to league minimum - league minimum is $575,000, so Tootoo is making 40% over league minimum.  

I don't mind it too much because the alternatives are probably worse, in a lot of respects - a multi-year deal to anyone on Tootoo's level is awful.  But like dr33 says, I don't love what it says about Shero.  We'll see.  If the Devils look into shopping him at the deadline and get a 4th round pick for him, this is a win - they paid $200k for a 4th rounder, and I think that's worth it.  If they get nothing and Tootoo ends up on the power play again, something's massively wrong.  Tootoo's not going to score 10 goals again, he shot double his career shooting percentage, and was used on the power play much more than he has any business being used.  He's not totally without talent in the offensive zone, but he'll be lucky to score half that this year.

Edited by Triumph