Hurricane Sandy

SterioDesign

Yup, I hope as many people back home are doing okay as possible. There's no way that everyone is though, not with those winds and that storm surge. The Governor said that railcars were washed onto the Turnpike. And 2.4million NJ customers without power, so I guess most of our friends here won't be able to be on the boards today. The stories coming out are amazing, so stay safe, and good luck.

I lost some shingles off my roof and the fence around my pool took some damage, but it could've been worse. My neighborhood had its fair share of downed and uprooted trees. Nothing compared to the shore points though...holy sh!t...

Hillsborough, nj here and never lost power. We are amongst the lucky ones

My parents in Belle Mead, NJ still don't have power back (as of 3 hours ago).

Best wishes everyone from California.

Outage maps

PSE&G

http://www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/outage_info/outagemap.jsp

JCP&L

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Got my power back at 4:30. That you utility guys who are working their asses off 24/7.

When will we learn to bury our power lines?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/02/opinion/frum-buried-lines/index.html

The winds may howl. The trees may fall. But in Germany, the lights stay on.

There's no Teutonic engineering magic to this impressive record. It's achieved by a very simple decision: Germany buries almost all of its low-voltage and medium-voltage power lines, the lines that serve individual homes and apartments. Americans could do the same. They have chosen not to.

I don't when they started it. As long as I can remember the power lines were always underground, except for some very rural areas. When I lived in Germany power outage was such a rare event. I never had experienced being without power for multiple days before moving over here. I am sure with all the money people spend for generators and emergency supplies for all the storms you could have easily dug in the lines.

Monday 8 PM is the latest date for everyone to get their power back per PSEG, although if you follow PSE&G's Twitter account there are a lot of people getting their power back and tweeting. I think everyone attached to the Newark power station is getting brought online, but the Elizabeth substation has no joy yet.

I'm more worried about the fuel problems. What few stations have gas power are tapping out extremely quick. If we don't get power back to gas stations, this is going to be a BIG problem sooner rather than later (and that comes from someone who filled their tank the day before!)

EDIT: PSE&G Twitter Feed

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

I feel bad for all the people that have lost family, friends, pets, or personal property. I haven't seen any pictures from anywhere but I've been hearing some horrendous stories about flooding, fire, and fallen trees down. I just stopped by my mom's aunt's to recharge my phone and get a shower since I was starting to smell pretty bad. I'd say I made out well (the power is going to be out awhile but its not a big deal to me) and surprisingly the trees by my house didn't come down or lose too many branches. A lot of people in my neighborhood suffered damage to their houses and cars though.

Hope everyone is making out as alright as they can in this situation!