Hurricane Sandy

SterioDesign

I work weekends and told my supervisor that I needed to leave as soon as the weather got bad. I was able to get home Monday morning before anything started. Once all my kids were home I felt ok. We lost power on Monday night at 8pm but it came back by 2:30am Tuesday. Plus I had cable, Internet and phone. I suffered no damage other than a few small branches that came down.Outside my house looks like nothing happened. I am extremely fortunate. But go about a block and there are crushed cars, trees blocking roads. It looks like a war zone. I have a number of relatives and good friends (not counting some of the greatest hockey fans in the world) who live in NJ and the ones I have heard from, the news it just heartbreaking.

I have seen the pictures/videos and am sick to my stomach. Please know that I will continued to pray for all of you.

JCP&l really blows. At my mothers house in north TR off 527 not far from Manchester...no power. In fact we have not seen ANY power repair trucks since this all began. I believe JCP&L are incompetents. I know this is unprecedented but when a spokesperson for them says they don't know where to start... That bothers me. If they don't know then WHO DOES!? Go get some help.

Got out to a friend of my mom's in Succassuna tonight who has power and was watching News 12-saw the helicopter shots of the shore... My God. I have no words. I'm shocked, saddened, and heartbroken at what's happened down there. The Jersey Shore has a place in the hearts of every person that's grown up here in some way... It's one of the things that connects us and helps to give our state it's identity. To see it in absolute utter devastation makes me sick to my stomach. I actually sat next to my mother's friend as she talked to her sister on the phone to find out her sister's house in Bayville has been completely destroyed and her brother-in-law's boat is in a tree. It's beyond my comprehension. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone down there, and with Moonachie, Hoboken, and Little Ferry as well, who I know experienced immense damage, along with Breezy Point, Queens. Just awful.

Got out to a friend of my mom's in Succassuna tonight who has power and was watching News 12-saw the helicopter shots of the shore... My God. I have no words. I'm shocked, saddened, and heartbroken at what's happened down there. The Jersey Shore has a place in the hearts of every person that's grown up here in some way... It's one of the things that connects us and helps to give our state it's identity. To see it in absolute utter devastation makes me sick to my stomach. I actually sat next to my mother's friend as she talked to her sister on the phone to find out her sister's house in Bayville has been completely destroyed and her brother-in-law's boat is in a tree. It's beyond my comprehension. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone down there, and with Moonachie, Hoboken, and Little Ferry as well, who I know experienced immense damage, along with Breezy Point, Queens. Just awful.

This really puts things into perspective. So many people on facebook complaining about their power still out, well mine is too but I'm glad that's the only problem I have and I can deal with it until it gets back on.

This really puts things into perspective. So many people on facebook complaining about their power still out, well mine is too but I'm glad that's the only problem I have and I can deal with it until it gets back on.

. Bingo. My power will probably be out until next week, but sh!t happens. I have tons of respect for the people who are working hard to get power restored. This is unprecedented. I mean, 2 million people in NJ don't have power. That's a ton of people. If your loved ones are okay, you have a roof over your head, and were lucky enough to avoid major damage to your home and property, be thankful because that's where the hardship ends for you... The hardship for people up and down the shore and places like Moonachie, Little Ferry, Hoboken, and Breezy Point won't end for years, and it's heartbreaking.

a number of communities on long island got slammed, a friend of mine with the lindenhurst FD sent me a photo of houses on a block burnt down to the high water mark, the only thing that saved the bottom floors from burning was the fact they were full of sewage and gas filled water. nearly four decades living on the island and i've never seen destruction like that from a storm. we didn't even take a direct hit like folks in NJ did, we only caught the very fringes of the storm. i could only imagine what would have happened if the wind and the rain were stronger

a number of communities on long island got slammed, a friend of mine with the lindenhurst FD sent me a photo of houses on a block burnt down to the high water mark, the only thing that saved the bottom floors from burning was the fact they were full of sewage and gas filled water. nearly four decades living on the island and i've never seen destruction like that from a storm. we didn't even take a direct hit like folks in NJ did, we only caught the very fringes of the storm. i could only imagine what would have happened if the wind and the rain were stronger

Where are the island are you? By me, we had massive wind all Monday night/Tuesday Am. Lost power for about 6 hours and just small branches down. The area in front of my house looks like nothing happened. One block over looks like a war zone. There are cars crushed, roadways blocked by huge trees. and people with no power. This morning is 40' so it is pretty cold out. Several of my relatives/good friends in NJ suffered devastating losses. I have seen pictures sent from friends and it is heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.

Edited by njdjlc

Hoboken is a mess. I was evacuated because I'm on the 1st floor in SW Hoboken (the part that floods during a normal rain storm) My apt is raised up about 6 feet off the ground... the water rose to about 5 and a half feet and didn't come in... close call.

The city is a mess. Thick dark brown/black oil sludge in my lobby and all over my street. Still flooded as of this morning near me...although not nearly as bad as it was. People are setting up charging stations at random places in town. so neighbors are actually talking to each other.

11th street has power and they had a little Halloween party last night with a bunch of parents drinking wine and kids dressed up. Cars by me are sideways from being moved by water. A few downed trees, and almost all the businesses along 1st street have/had several feet of water inside them. The water is sewage/oil/gas/rain so it's not pretty.

People are handling it well, and being nice to one another. We had about 100 beers at my friend place on his third floor apartment so we've been going through them. Booze makes the boredom much better!

EDIT: No Cell Service or Power.

PSE&G was working all night fixing stuff, so hats off to them! Local Gov. is doing a good job as well organizing, and getting people supplies, and information.

Edited by oofrostonoo

my apartment has no power, not complaining, just frustrated

My parents place (Other side of my town) and my girlfriends place do... so i have places to go.

My grandmother, Aunt and Uncle live on Rockaway Beach NY, none of them luckily involved in the fire.

Both houses are flooded in the basement and the very bottom of the first floor. They are not sure when they can return to their houses.

My grandmother is devastated. Her house is quite old and we're not sure of the damage that has been caused, i wouldn't be surprised if the place had to be leveled due to foundation problems..

This has been nuts, and i feel lucky that all i lost was power and about 25 dollars of food.

I can't imagine how long it's going to take to rebuild the Jersey Shore. Who is even going to want to rebuild their home along the shore after an event like this? I'm afraid this wasn't a fluke. More natural disasters are occuring due to global warming. The Jersey Shore will never be the same.

Nah, people will go back to the Jersey Shore for a lot of the same reasons that people will go back to watching hockey despite the lockout. There will be more rental properties and less homes, but people will go back when it's safe and ready. I'm sure it will be a big thing this summer, too, like the grand re-opening and some Jersey Strong stuff. Memorial Day Weekend 2013, if they can turn it around that quickly in attraction sites like Seaside Heights and Atlantic City, will be some of the biggest parties we've seen yet.

As to power co's, I don't begrudge anyone's frustration for having no power, and a board like this is a pretty good way to vent frustration with one's situation (while slacking off at work of course. :)) But some people don't have respect, and it's easy to tell A from B. I hope none of us cross that line.

I can't imagine how long it's going to take to rebuild the Jersey Shore. Who is even going to want to rebuild their home along the shore after an event like this? I'm afraid this wasn't a fluke. More natural disasters are occuring due to global warming. The Jersey Shore will never be the same.

For fear of making this thing political, this doesn't have anything to do with global warming. The area has had more powerful storms in the past. Just now we have more people with more money, i.e. more people with more stuff in the path of the storm.

Anyway, I think people will still build on the shore. Insurance premiums will probably go up, but those costs will be passed on to the local consumers. Even with that, it's still cheaper than a trip to the Hamptons, Myrtle Beach or wherever.

For fear of making this thing political, this doesn't have anything to do with global warming. The area has had more powerful storms in the past. Just now we have more people with more money, i.e. more people with more stuff in the path of the storm.

Anyway, I think people will still build on the shore. Insurance premiums will probably go up, but those costs will be passed on to the local consumers. Even with that, it's still cheaper than a trip to the Hamptons, Myrtle Beach or wherever.

I'm not saying this storm was a direct result of global warming, I'm simply suggesting that storms like these are going to happen more frequently as the climate gets warmer. As the ocean temperature rises, it provides more energy for storms. I'll leave it at that before this turns into a global warming topic.

I have no doubt that we will rebuild along the shore, and those that have money will have no problem risking it. But a lot of these shore houses like those in Belmar have been handed down through family generations. Hopefully those who lost their homes have good insurance coverage or it is going to be very tough to start all over.

I live in Cleveland and have not had power since Sunday night. Power company said 300k+ were affected, and they've restored about half that in four days. Luckily no property damage out here. My parents live near Lavalette on the bay side and have not been able to go back, but my mom is cautiously optimistic after our next door neighbor sent pictures of his house. Seeing those pictures and videos of Seaside, Ortley, Ocean Beach, and Mantaloking makes me heartbroken. I almost cold cocked a guy who made a Jersey Shore/Snooki joke yesterday. Not original, and not at all funny when you don't know whether your parents' house is still standing.

In Jackson, still no power lost it around 4 pm on Monday. Jcpl has barely touched the area.

Trees down all over. The gas lines are crazy. Heading to moms house tonight, house already at 50 degrees. Hope everyone on here made it.

Had minimal damage on house so I can't whine at all. I am sure when I see the tv tonight I will be saddened.

Still alive. No power at home, stealing some internet and warmth from a friend's house. My town was the one where the train cars were blown onto the Turnpike and the tanker leaked hundreds of thousands of gallons of field into the water. We're not the shore but we got hit pretty bad.

Hope everyone else is doing okay. Stay strong gang.