Hey, thanks board owners

Blown01NJ

This forum has some really great people.  A lot of them helped me though 10 years of bone surgeries, joint replacements and other medical situations.  I met lots during the years. I miss a lot of folks who don't post anymore however one has to roll with the changes.  I am learning to let some folks just be themselves and if irritating then just don't pay any attention to them. Sometimes I have a bad day and it doesn't work. lol Different strokes for different folks.   Seems to work better.  Still need more joint replacements and will hope that folks will be supportive and patient.  Going to need advice from you DM.  Shoulders are tricksy. ;)

Thanks everyone. I know some of you want more moderation and some want less...Guess that means MSweet and I are in the middle ground.

I read this place with the ads on too, I couldn't stand much more myself. (please use amazon...please? :(   )

And Dew, no problem!

couldn't ask for a better place on the internet. this is home for me - literally. it's been my homepage for 10 years.

DM - you always do an amazing job and the mainstays are part of the history and fabric. the newer posters have brought different flavors to the board and that's great too.

you get people's personalities through this site and if we all thought the same, it would be terrible.

This forum has some really great people.  A lot of them helped me though 10 years of bone surgeries, joint replacements and other medical situations.  I met lots during the years. I miss a lot of folks who don't post anymore however one has to roll with the changes.  I am learning to let some folks just be themselves and if irritating then just don't pay any attention to them. Sometimes I have a bad day and it doesn't work. lol Different strokes for different folks.   Seems to work better.  Still need more joint replacements and will hope that folks will be supportive and patient.  Going to need advice from you DM.  Shoulders are tricksy. ;)

right back atchya, dew. i hardly post anymore (and i'm pretty sure a lot of you dont even remember who i am) but i still lurk on a daily basis and this place will always be home for me. started on espn boards back in, like, '01 or something and DM leeched a few of us over here. i know a couple of you guys still post *cough*dr33*cough* and it's really great to see. made some great friends, some horrible enemies, and have had a ton of awesome memories through it all. i'll always love this place.

I enjoy both honestly. I tend to post more on HFBoards but I tend to use the chat for gamedays here and use the marketplace here a lot. If I'm going on my phone then I'm definitely posting on NJDevs however. The mobile experience is just night and day.

Still, there really isn't a need to discredit one or the other. That goes for the FB groups. We are all NJD fansites at the end of the day.

right back atchya, dew. i hardly post anymore (and i'm pretty sure a lot of you dont even remember who i am) but i still lurk on a daily basis and this place will always be home for me. started on espn boards back in, like, '01 or something and DM leeched a few of us over here. i know a couple of you guys still post *cough*dr33*cough* and it's really great to see. made some great friends, some horrible enemies, and have had a ton of awesome memories through it all. i'll always love this place.

I hear ya sykkie17.  ;)   We have had lots of chats and I enjoyed every one.  A bumpy start but I am glad it didn't last.  And your smiley fits you to a T.  You rule!

I try to be reasonable.  I'm actually not nearly as pissed as many have been about this season to date...I think mostly because I didn't have terribly high expectations coming into this season...once Lou finished making his offseason moves I saw an "if" team that might be pretty good if everything broke right.  Of course, with "if" teams, things don't often break right...not enough, anyway.  This is a team in transition that will soon filter out the last link to the "old guard" (Elias).  The older "we signed them because we didn't have prospects of our own" guys will soon follow.  A completely new identity will be coming out of necessity...even more so if Lou soon leaves (he can't do this forever).

I've tried HF and devilsrule, and neither did anything for me.  This is really the only message board that I spend serious time on.  Crash does an awesome job with football every week, so I get my football fix there.  I take part in the Met thread every year too, but at times it feels more like my own blog, due to the other guys not posting as much as I'd like. 

re the Devils: On paper they were supposed to be improved from the teams that were so Corsi/Fenwick friendly and were 'unlucky' to not make the playoffs and if anything it's gone the other way and they're honestly lucky to have the record they have, but now the ****'s hitting the fan big-time.  The Devils' struggles also doesn't help the general mood around here to say the least.

re the Mets: it's hard to get motivated to watch the Mets enough to pay attention when clearly they're willing to punt seasons.  Last year was the first time in ages I didn't even go to a Met game.  Hopefully there'll be a resurgence of activity in that folder in '15.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I am thankful I'm allowed to share my opinions here without worrying about getting banned or infracted.  I cause a lot of ruckus here (unintentionally mind you), but I always try and debate without putting down other people's opinions.  Over on HF, I would have been banned already.  I guarantee it.  That's why I stay away from HF Devils.  I mostly post on the main board there.

I read this board for a while before I joined 9 years ago, and it's my favorite place to visit on the internet. Bar none the best place to talk Devils hockey. I read the HF board and it's a looney bin. Nothing beats NJDevs. We have a great board with some great people and I'm happy to be a part of it. Thanks to DM and everyone who helps to make this place what it is.

Ah the old ESPN boards lol- I used to post over there as njdolphan. Good times. [emoji1]

I don't post on the board too often nowadays but I have been on it since 2005... I would agree it's probably the best place to come. HFBoards is a waste of time even without the ads... The threads there can be pretty unbearable most of the time. I'd agree that there are definitely some good personalities here and it's at least entertaining the morning after a game to go back through a game thread and just see everyone going at it, haha. I guess that's just the mood amongst the fanbase.

I had been enjoying the Devils subreddit for a while, but this season just has a different vibe to it. I don't know if it's because of how it's grown in size or what but the amount of whining from entitled fans is unreal. Acting like the team owes them something, acting like Salvador stole their lunch money, and whatever else. I guess some people just can't cope with the fact that we're just not a very good team.

I try to be reasonable.  I'm actually not nearly as pissed as many have been about this season to date...I think mostly because I didn't have terribly high expectations coming into this season...once Lou finished making his offseason moves I saw an "if" team that might be pretty good if everything broke right.  Of course, with "if" teams, things don't often break right...not enough, anyway.  This is a team in transition that will soon filter out the last link to the "old guard" (Elias).  The older "we signed them because we didn't have prospects of our own" guys will soon follow.  A completely new identity will be coming out of necessity...even more so if Lou soon leaves (he can't do this forever).

I've tried HF and devilsrule, and neither did anything for me.  This is really the only message board that I spend serious time on.  Crash does an awesome job with football every week, so I get my football fix there.  I take part in the Met thread every year too, but at times it feels more like my own blog, due to the other guys not posting as much as I'd like. 

Re:  Tri, you gotta get past the general humorlessness and often complete lack of bedside manners, but let's face it, even though he sometimes comes off as though he thinks he invented some of these advanced metrics, he's really the one who has made a lot of posters here aware of their existence in the first place, and he was posting about them before they became more commonplace...the board would absolutely NOT be a better place without his contributions.  And when he's inclined, he does a pretty solid job explaining what they mean and why we should at least consider them.  Some like advanced numbers, some don't, but the way I see it, the more numbers you have to flesh out what your eyes are seeing, the better you can make sense of what you're watching.  Those numbers always aren't as much "fun" as talking about the more familiar glamour numbers, but as we're seeing, they have a lot of importance.  What's interesting (and this is a testament to how a board like this is a great place to come to, just because you do get so many perspectives) is that people talk hockey so much differently now than they did 20-30 years ago.  You knew who was flashy, who could score, who could be a feeder/set-up guy, who could defend, which defensemen could put up pretty offensive numbers, etc.  Now people talk about play-drivers, what zones players are in for face-offs, what players elevate their teammates' play (and hurt them), etc.  Hockey is being talked about on a much deeper level now, a much more thinking man's level, and boards like this, and the internet in general, have really facilitated that in a big way...and a good one at that.   

Have to agree with you about Tri. My first real discussion with him was me arguing with him, getting fairly animated while doing so, about whether a defenseman has an effect on a goalie's save %. At that point, I was nearly completely ignorant of advanced stats. Since then, I've learned a lot and have really bought into advanced stats and their efficacy. Tri can definitely be a bit abrasive, especially when his opinion is completely opposite of your opinion, but he's truly this boards advanced stat guru and if he were to leave, it would be a real loss.

If pretty much any of the posters here left it would be a loss as almost everyone here provides a bit of a different perspective on the team and life in general. Aside from the occasional arguments from what always seems like the same few people arguing the same few topics, this board is fantastic. I'll put up with the occasional silly argument in order to keep the board's laissez faire method of moderating that keeps this mood light and allows for passionate discussion on the team we all love.

Also, I'll pile on about how the lack of ads is awesome. Everyone should be using the Amazon link when they do any shopping, but especially so with the amount of money we all will be spending due to the holidays coming up. Generously, after using the link to spend a fair amount on work related items, DM turned the ads off for me as a way to say thanks for supporting the forum and I'm grateful to not have to see any ads at all. Definitely a great little perk.

I got banned from HF for trolling Habs fans... and if my memory serves me well what got me banned was really really really not that bad

Now remember....

Words Do Hurt, if your a pansy! ;)

Hey! I didn't type "pansy"! :P

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

Edited by Devlin

Thanks everyone. I know some of you want more moderation and some want less...Guess that means MSweet and I are in the middle ground.

I read this place with the ads on too, I couldn't stand much more myself. (please use amazon...please? :(   )

And Dew, no problem!

I couldn't find the thread with the Amazon purchase info. I need SammyK the search expert. lol Finished my Cyber Monday shopping for the holidays and linked to Amazon from this site. Hope it helps.

I don't post on here much (mostly cuz I'm lazy or don't feel like i say anything new/interesting haha) but I DO come on and read threads and what not

I've met some cool people from here, mostly when I streamed games (sorry that i can't do that anymore, but it was fun while it lasted) and decided to keep it only to this board since HF is... insane, yeah thats it

anyway, thanks for making this board fun and not overmodding 

Edited by Microwavepizza

I've met some cool people from here, mostly when I streamed games (sorry that i can't do that anymore, but it was fun while it lasted) and decided to keep it only to this board since HF is... insane, yeah thats it

You're still the man for running that stream.  Wouldn't have been able to watch the Devils during my first few years college, otherwise.

You're still the man for running that stream.  Wouldn't have been able to watch the Devils during my first few years college, otherwise.

Agreed, MP saved me countless times in undergrad. Now I'm a big boy and can afford gamecenter :lol:

I'm pretty sure 1/2 of my posts came from the old last person to posts wins thread, but I've always enjoyed reading the Devils discussions everyday, even when I'm posting infrequently. Keep up the good work, folks

Agreed, MP saved me countless times in undergrad. Now I'm a big boy and can afford gamecenter :lol:

haha thanks a lot, it was fun... unnerving at times when I was out or AT the game and still did the stream from my phone, but glad i could help out fellow Devil fans.