Buyers or Sellers on 4/3/2013?

Devilsfan118

This is perhaps a bad time to ask this question, with the team (see: Hedberg) playing so poorly, but what would you all like to see Lou do at the trade deadline?

Acquire a piece to attempt to make the Devils more competitive? Or sell off some veterans for late picks? I'm sure the second option sounds more appealing to some right now, with the draft supposedly being pretty deep, but is it really worth throwing in the towel?

No sell, with the Devils you always have to believe look at last year or the Johnny Mac fiasco, what I hope Lou does in my opinion is to get a piece or 2 to the system, we have always been great at adding players who nobody else believed in but make sure they are our system type player.

The only time we start thinking of the draft is when we are mathematically out of it until then BELIEVE!

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!!!

Buyers; it's not blind optimism, but I truly feel we're 1 or 2 pieces away from being a really dangerous team. Even some of these 4-1/5-1 blowout games had moments during which we could've and should've won. We've been hitting crossbars and posts, and goalies have been standing on their head. No excuses of course, but we need an elite forward to come in and tip the balance toward scoring and winning.

There's really no moves for the Devils to be made right now or by the deadline and to be honest, they're not really in a good position to be mortgaging whatever they have of value (Matteau, Merrill, 1st round pick).  There will be significant turnover probably this offseason with a couple departures on defense and some more tinkering at forward.

Like Tri said, the Devils will be in the playoff hunt (it's going to be for 7 and 8 seeds) and there is the chance they could drop out of it, but they'll be around there in the 7-10 range at the end of April.  I'm not sure how much I buy Ottawa being able to keep up this pace they're on with all the problems they've had, but I expect the Rangers and Flyers to make a run.  If the Devils get their act together here, should be exciting at least.

They don't have any expendable pieces to sell other than Zidlicky (and don't give me Clarkson, he's not 'expendable').  Unless you want to try to get a refund on Poni.

They don't have a lot of pieces to use buying stuff either, unless they trade a prospect d-man or completely forefit one of the next two drafts.  It'd be nice if they ended this eight-D merry-go-round but I'm not holding my breath since Lou's almost as stubborn as Pete.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I still think we have all the pieces to be a solid playoff team...nothing special of course. They just need to get their heads out of their you know whats. Marty and Zubrus will help this team a lot.

My only concern is still the logjam on D. The constant shuffling is hurting them.

I still think we have all the pieces to be a solid playoff team...nothing special of course. They just need to get their heads out of their you know whats. Marty and Zubrus will help this team a lot.

My only concern is still the logjam on D. The constant shuffling is hurting them.

Problem is no one knows when Zubs and Marty will return. We gotta hold down the fort and win games so that when they return we'll still have a shot at the post season.

Problem is no one knows when Zubs and Marty will return. We gotta hold down the fort and win games so that when they return we'll still have a shot at the post season.

The fort has been obliterated. :( We can only hope this team can come together and go on a tear just like last year.

Either way I'd really like to see Lou lock up Elias and Clarkson before they hit UFA this off season.

If things are still going poorly, I'd trade Clarkson for a first round pick in this year's draft. This is supposed to be the best one since 2003. Clarkson is at the peak of his value. I wouldn't give him away, but you have to go under the assumption that someone will overpay him in free agency. Use the money you're spending on him to lock up Henrique and give Elias four to five more years, or whatever he's looking for. I'm not worried about Zubrus. He'll re-sign unless he decides to retire, or Lou gives him an offer that's a slap in the face.

If things are still going poorly, I'd trade Clarkson for a first round pick in this year's draft. This is supposed to be the best one since 2003. Clarkson is at the peak of his value. I wouldn't give him away, but you have to go under the assumption that someone will overpay him in free agency. Use the money you're spending on him to lock up Henrique and give Elias four to five more years, or whatever he's looking for. I'm not worried about Zubrus. He'll re-sign unless he decides to retire, or Lou gives him an offer that's a slap in the face.

Agreed. If the losing continues and a playoff spot dries up then see what you can get for Clarkson around the trade deadline.

When has Lou ever really been a seller at the trade deadline in recent years besides when we traded Langenbrunner and Arnott (which I was all for)?  He always believes we have a chance to make a run and tries his best to put the best product on the ice he can.

When has Lou ever really been a seller at the trade deadline in recent years besides when we traded Langenbrunner and Arnott (which I was all for)?  He always believes we have a chance to make a run and tries his best to put the best product on the ice he can.

The Devils have only been sellers once, and that was the only time the Devils missed the playoffs in sixteen years.  Playoff teams are rarely sellers. 

Too early to tell at this point, but if the Devils are struggling like they are now come the deadline, they should consider looking for a first round pick in this year's draft, or maybe next year's draft.  As I said before, Clarkson is really the only trade bait.  Packaged with an average prospect, he could yield a 15 to 30 pick in a deep draft.  Frankly, I wonder if it would be worth it to trade Zubrus (assuming he's healthy) on the calculated gamble that he'll re-sign in the offseason.  He loves NJ, and apparently has said that he wanted to play in NJ even when he was playing for the Flyers.

This is the only way I see Lou as a seller this year:

I receive a report that says frozen orange juice inventories will be low.

I buy buy buy...  inflating the market greatly; but keep buying them up.  

This is where Lou comes in... he starts selling the futures?  That crazy guy, he lost his mind!  FIRE LOU.

Then, the actual market report comes out...  flat!?! 

BAM!  Lou then covers his position...  and once again, I'm out 394mm and my buddy is left in a gorrilla suit - again.  This happens often. 

Lou has bested me.   In Lou We Trust!

• Like 2