DeBoer and Torts Should Be Fined

Daniel

I thought the beginning of the game was kinda dumb, but not bad enough to fine coaches.

At this point they'd be hypocrites for fining them after highlighting the video of the triple bout on the front page of the NHL website :lol:

It wouldn't be the first time for the NHL to be hypocritical though.

I don't agree with Sherry Ross all that often, but the canned fighting at beginning of the games is an absolute embarrassment. It's the last Devils/Rangers game of the season, and I don't think they'd pull this crap if they meet up in the playoffs. Still, this is one of those instances where fines are necessary.

You need to man up.

The start of tonight's game was awesome.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was standing up screaming at the television and all hyped up. Yes the fight was staged, but it wasn't for no reason. They all hate each other and want to show it.

I'll also add that my two friends who were here, one female & one male were also all excited about it and the intensity it brought... They are casual fans at best and just getting into hockey... It's fair to say this stuff does have it's place in hockey.

Oh and fvck Torts.

I understand the talk about both team's tremendous hatred for each other and it lead to the inevitable fight, but on the other hand you gotta think that that's a bunch of crud. If the Devils had the streak of hate we think they do for the Rags then it would have translated into more than just a few fights.

The Rags take cheap shots, run Marty, get physical, but we're like "Yeah our goons made a statement."

What a pu$$y move for the team to make if that's true.

Is this thread a joke? Lol yeah how dare there be entertaining 6 man fight to start a huge rivalry game, in a sport craving national attention. That fight will be top 10 tomorrow on sportscenter guaranteed. Theres nothing wrong with how the game started and im gunna have to question your manhood saying the coaches should be fined. You probably dont like how often QBs get hit in the nfl too right?

I'm a fan of the fight as much as the next guy, but seriously, did the fights translate on the score sheet? We basically got creamed 2/3 of the game. I think that's why the fights ring hollow sometimes.

I'm a fan of the fight as much as the next guy, but seriously, did the fights translate on the score sheet? We basically got creamed 2/3 of the game. I think that's why the fights ring hollow sometimes.

Hey, maybe w/o the fights we would have sucked even more!

The start of tonight's game was awesome.

And Marty accidentally described why it's so awesome.

“I don’t like it,” Devils goale Martin Brodeur said. “It’s hockey. I know fans and people get into it. I think our players get wound up, but we’re here to play and you get all pumped and next thing you know it takes about 10 minutes to pick up the gloves and blood. That’s not the way we should play hockey.”

-From TG's post.

Fights happen in the course of a game because players get hit, teams want to change the momentum...AT THE OPENING FACEOFF is not in the course of a game, that's staged. Yes, a lot of fights are planned but they're planned because of how the game's going. This nonsense is just fighting for the sake of fighting.

If this was an early-November game in Edmonton, you'd have a point. But it's a mid-March game closing out a brutal season series between two bitter rivals. "Course of the game" is too small-minded for Devils/Rangers. "Course of the season series" or "course of the rivalry" is more like it.

I don't care about anyone's complaining the fights should or shouldn't have happened. They did, and I don't think it's an embarrassment at all, it's part of how tough the game gets. I just love this epic quote from PDB

Devils coach Pete DeBoer didn’t mince his words on why he came to mix it up. Rangers coach John Tortorella took offense to the Devils’ lineup and the pair exchanges words.

“I guess in John’s world you can come into our building and start your tough guys, but we can’t do the same in here,” DeBoer said. “He’s either got short-term memory loss or he’s a hypocrite. It’s one or the other.

SO MUCH WIN! Torts is such a cry-baby and has to have things his way. It's fair to him when he does it in our building, but when we pull the same thing there, nope that's not fair. Screw him, screw the entire Rangers organization. He's just that kind of guy that when he looks at you with that douchebag smirk on his face you just want to break a stick on it. Can't stand him or his attitude.

I don't care about anyone's complaining the fights should or shouldn't have happened. They did, and I don't think it's an embarrassment at all, it's part of how tough the game gets. I just love this epic quote from PDB

And that's EXACTLY what I was getting at in my last post. To say that they were automatically "canned" or "staged" fights simply because they happened at the start of the game ignores the history between two rivals at the end of a season series.

If this was an early-November game in Edmonton, you'd have a point. But it's a mid-March game closing out a brutal season series between two bitter rivals. "Course of the game" is too small-minded for Devils/Rangers. "Course of the season series" or "course of the rivalry" is more like it.

And if it happened 'once' at the start of the game you might have a point. Three times in the same season, twice with multiple fights? If that's not premeditated then we have different definitions of what the word means.

And that's EXACTLY what I was getting at in my last post. To say that they were automatically "canned" or "staged" fights simply because they happened at the start of the game ignores the history between two rivals at the end of a season series.

I'm willing to give you that, but the main reason I'm okay with fighting (I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I do sometimes question its place in the game) is that it keeps the players safer. No question a fight is safer than boarding or crosschecking or a slew foot, and classier than running a goalie or tripping, but if a fight is going to happen regardless of what happens in the game, there's no incentive to avoid the dirty penalties. If a game gets chippy (and it will between these 2 teams), then let the fighters go at it. If a middleweight or even a lightweight agitator do something dirty, make them fvcking pay, but to send out your heavyweights before anything happens defeats 1 of the main justifications for hockey fighting.

I HATE Torts so much. The Devils submit their lineup first... so DeBoer challenged Torts.... and he obliged by putting his fourth line out AND A DEFENSEMAN TO TAKE THE FACEOFF. You think if Torts threw out Gaborik, Stepan, and Callahan or whoever that our fourth line was going to try to fight them? Then Torts is on the bench screaming like the little girl he is.

Next time you friggin cry baby, put out your first line... then for the first shift of the game you have an offensive advantage and can go up 1-0 early.

Torts has, is, and will always be the biggest crybaby coach in the NHL. It is sad too because he is a pretty damn good coach too. However, when he huffs and puffs after every call and the camera immediately goes to his reaction after every whistle, you know he is full of sh!t and playing it for the cameras.

Edited by DevsMan84

And if it happened 'once' at the start of the game you might have a point. Three times in the same season, twice with multiple fights? If that's not premeditated then we have different definitions of what the word means.

Nah, if it happened once, you'd probably be saying that it was an aberration, a clear sign that it was staged. "If the rivalry was really so bitter that fights at the opening draw would be acceptable, then it would've happened at some other point in the season as well." If you dislike fights at the opening draw, you'll dislike them no matter what the circumstances, ignorant of outside logic.

To me, this happening three times in a season is a clear sign that these two teams hate each other so much that they don't need to wait for something to happen later in the game to want to punch each other in the face. But I like fights, so I'll like them no matter what the circumstances, ignorant of outside logic.

While I admit that I over-reacted saying there should be fines, the beginning of last night was still an embarrassment. Fighting's fine and actually entertaining when it serves some kind of purpose like sticking up for a teammate or sending a message, which is what guys like Clarkson and very rarely Boulton does.

It becomes a pointless sideshow when Cam Janssen gets into a two minute wrestling match. Janssen's a decent and funny person, but his act serves absolutely no purpose. It's a boring schtick, nothing more.