RUMOR: Gomez to Ducks

smelly

LMFAO!!!! So, you're saying that the OP and the tweet just happened to cite the EXACT SAME INFORMATION and yet you're essentially claiming that he fabricated this (that is what is lying little rageaholic friend). The date matters not a jot.* I don't know what article he read and neither do you. I merely suggested that that was a possible article, the type of article, etc. that he had read and misquoted. That is sloppy but there is nothing malicious. You are the one raging up and down this thread with accusations against people just people they've had the audacity to post something in a public fvcking forum.

*- btw, a quick google search shows that there are approx. 45 articles with Gomez and Ducks in it written on the 18th, 19th, and 20th. Many are rehashes. Some of them are also reissued the next day with small corrections. For example, the articl I cited may have been written and published for the 18th and then pulled, updated, and reissued on the 19th. The nature of the internet makes this nearly impossible to follow. More importantly, the tweet cited within the article is likely part of a string. I don't have a Twitter acct and won't be getting one, so someone else can check.

Now let's see what you know:

1. What is th likelihood that the OP would have posted, on the 18th, the same rumor that was tweeted on the 19th without him having read something about it? Or do you really think these two people came up with THE SAME EXACT FICTIONAL UNCORROBATED RUMOR within one day of each other?

2. Do you understand the difference between a lie and a mistake? If OP made this post With INTENT to deceive that is a lie. If OP just glanced over original information and chose to repeat it, that is a mistake. It is sloppy. You can choose to call it a lie, but you would be WRONG. END. OF. STORY.

A lie must contain intent. Where have you proven or shown the OP's intent? OTOH, given that these rumors are flying around and given that things get posted and retracted all of the time, it is possible he misread, it is possible he lied, it is possible he confused information, it is possible that he himself was misinformed, etc. You even noted how he changed his own mistake to note it wasn't official for the love of @)&$)$. So he clearly made a stupid mistake, he was sloppy, and failed to post a link. OTOH, you assume intent based on NOTHING and claim you KNOW.... And then you lecture me..... Please.

Btw, my original post was only meant to kindly suggest that the OP's post needn't have been looked at as a lie. That's all. You chose to take offense and ASSUMED INTENT on my part. So let me help you: THIS POST IS A fvckING LECTURE!

Alright first of all, that tweet and article came more than a full day after this thread was posted, so you're completely wrong about that. Second of all, the original post pre-edit simply said "Gomez to Ducks" in the title and "per team twitter" inside, implying that the Ducks official team twitter account had tweeted confirmation that Gomez was signed. I typed up my original reply without checking twitter, because I just assumed it was true. Then I decided to go read the tweet myself only to see that no such tweet existed on the Ducks' twitter, and I didn't see any other reliable hockey people confirming Gomez was signed either. So I came back to edit my post after. So yes, as far as I'm concerned, OP did blatantly lie twice in the original post - first by saying that Gomez to Ducks was official when it wasn't (and still isn't) and second by saying that the Ducks twitter account confirmed this, which it did not. A few minutes later he edited in "not official", but that doesn't make it okay. What really happened was either: A) OP saw a tweet from one of the many BS " hockey insider" rumor-mongering Twitter accounts and wanted to be the first one to announce that Gomez was signed here, or B) He just wanted to mess with everyone by posting a fake signing. Either way, this thread sucks.

Next time, make sure you understand what actually happened before you try to lecture me about calling out the OP's BS.

Edited by AEWHistory

The OP posted Gomez was signed by the Ducks per the Ducks twitter with no link. It wasn't posted as a rumor, it was posted as fact.

In reality the OP had never seen a post by the Ducks twitter because it didn't exist. I don't think the OP lied on purpose but he took credit for someone else's lie by saying something that wasn't true and easily could have been verified first and linked to, which is what is supposed to happen when you hear something from a random source.

I saw the tweet that was a lie, it was just some random guys twitter, definitely not something people should have believed without checking. All it required was to look at the Ducks twitter to see it was untrue. Even posting the original false tweet would have been better the the original post before the editing.

Again, passing on false information is NOT lying unless one KNOWS it is false. INTENT INTENT INTENT INTENT. You CAN'T lie by mistake people....

Here is the Wikipedia definition (it is almost indistinguishable from the other sites):

"To lie is to deliver a false statement to another person which the speaking person knows is not the whole truth, intentionally."

So to say he lied "inadvertently" means he did not lie. In fact, what you're actually saying is that "he lied but he didn't lie because he didn't know the information was wrong". I'm sorry but I don't think someone deserves to be attacked personally because they made a stupid mistake on a damn sports forum. The post was sloppy, it broke rules, it was misinformed, and it was a mistake, but to say someone was lying when they were themselves clearly misinformed is just wrong.

As an aside, does the weatherman LIE when he gets it wrong? Of course not. ;)

Sorry if this seems pedantic but, for me, there is a big difference. Now if he knew it was false and posted it anyway then I agree wholeheartedly and he should apologize, but I don't see any proof of that.