Question for FIOS people

Exit56

I've been a longtime Cablevision subscriber, considering I could be saving ~$90/mo and get the NFL network if I switched to FIOS I'm considering it..

I know that MSG+ and MSG are finally on FIOS in HD, but does the overflow channel come through in HD as well? I don't want to wind up watching half of the season in standard def if I switch :)

Not that there's going to be any hockey to watch for a while, but I figured I'd ask.

MSG, MSG2 and MSG+ are in HD on FiOS but not MSG+2 so between national TV games and the fact that a good majority of Devils games are on MSG+, you should be fine.. I want to say you'll have about a game or 2 a month that will be in standard def

As a long time FiOS subscriber I can easily say that it's totally worth it.. You'll get 70+ games in HD and the picture quality is far superior.. Plus the Internet is ridiculously fast

I have Cablevision and I now get the NFL Network and NFL Red Zone channel since they settled their years long dispute last month. I think it comes with the IO Silver package that we have, but I'm not positive.

Even if you have the cheap package (like I do) you can add the sports package for $7 a month. That includes NFL, NFL Red Zone, NHL, MLB, NBA, NBC Sports, Golf and a bunch of other channels.

I am so sick and tired of cablevision pulling channels off the air and making it mandatory that every TV needs a cable box , I dont know if I should get Fios or Direct TV ?

FiOS requires all TV's to have a box as well, otherwise you get nada. I left Dolan-vision for FiOS a few years ago. I wouldn't go back if they offered me FREE service. FiOS really is THAT much better. Plus, NHL Network comes as part of your cable package. If I'm not mistaken, Dolan-vision still makes you add a sports package. Yes, it's cheap, but free > cheap any day.

I dont think I can even get FIOS in my area. I am pretty pleased with Cablevision and their customer service so far. I had Verizon DSL and it was the worst experience ever

Maybe if Edison does get FIOS available in my area, I will check it out

Does anyone know why we don't have PIX11 or AntennaTV anymore if you are a cablevision subscriber?

I have Cablevision and I now get the NFL Network and NFL Red Zone channel since they settled their years long dispute last month. I think it comes with the IO Silver package that we have, but I'm not positive.

I had no idea at all that this was the case. Awesome..

I told Cablevision that I had to drop my phone and some options when I lost my job. I was paying $195 per month for the silver package. They told me to hold on--Ok, we have a deal for you: If you keep your triple play, we'll give you 50mb speed on your computer, and every channel we have available on your tv for a total (including taxes) of $136 for a year. That's where I am now. Just ask for the sales dept. DONT talk to customer service. They dont care. They dont follow the stock prices :lol:

I had no idea at all that this was the case. Awesome..

For me (in Morris County), NFL Network is Channel 150 and NFL Red Zone is Channel 151. I didn't think I'd like Red Zone, but it is pretty cool and I found myself watching it a bunch on Sunday.

Cablevision's customer service is lightyears ahead of Verizon IMO. This is not meant to be racist in any way, but I used to have Verizon phone and internet (before Fios came out), and every time I had an issue I got a service rep in India who I honestly couldn't understand. Drove me nuts because, even if they knew what they were doing in diagnosing the problem, they were of no use to me since I couldn't understand anything they were saying. I just have no ear for languages and accents (like my in-laws heavy Irish brogue) are unintelligible to me.

Cablevision has support centers in the US and even though you have to deal with a Long Island accent, at least I can understand them. Plus, I have no issue with phone or internet service whatsoever, so I never made the switch to Fios when it was installed in our area.

I dont think I can even get FIOS in my area. I am pretty pleased with Cablevision and their customer service so far. I had Verizon DSL and it was the worst experience ever

Maybe if Edison does get FIOS available in my area, I will check it out

Does anyone know why we don't have PIX11 or AntennaTV anymore if you are a cablevision subscriber?

Just like the NHL and the players association, the contract is up between cablevision and (Tribune) the parent company channel of channel 11, people are saying cablevision is right in this fight, because Tribune wants more money to carry their channels, but I dont think cablevision should just "drop" channels that are in our cable packages. We are the ones getting effed. Both companies are greedy and they should have worked out the new contract ahead of time.

i HAD to get cablevision when i moved... i was so pissed and now that i have it, it sucks more than i remember

the channel lineup makes NO sense.. and the DVR and guide is so outdated

and i got my first bill.. i gotta call them already about the price and it took them 2 days just to install the damn thing

Does direct tv have a triple play? If so how much does it cost?

They do through 3rd party providers (you can order everything through them, though). I have TV through them, internet through Cablevision (for now), and phone through Vonage. In total, I am paying just a tiny bit less than Cablevision's / FIOS's triple-plays, and enjoying a much better TV experience.

They do through 3rd party providers (you can order everything through them, though). I have TV through them, internet through Cablevision (for now), and phone through Vonage. In total, I am paying just a tiny bit less than Cablevision's / FIOS's triple-plays, and enjoying a much better TV experience.

You can also do it the other way around. I have DirecTV as part of my Verizon bill.

When I first moved to NJ, I had Comcast (otherwise known as the worst utility company in existence), and as soon as humanly possible I switched to DirecTV. Loved the service itself as well as the customer service. We switched to Verizon FiOS when DTV and Versus had their squabble a few years ago, and FiOS is by far the best service I have ever had.

I did not have HD with DirecTV, but I have seen their HD picture in other peoples' homes and I feel like our FiOS picture is noticeably better. It's not a huge difference, but as I say, noticeable. (Could just be the quality of the different TVs, of course.)

Verizon's DVR is horrendous in comparison to my TiVo; clunky, counter-intuitive, slow, and not very smart. I'm not sure how it compares to other non-TiVo DVRs, so obviously YMMV.

Customer service with Verizon is, as stated by others, a trying experience to say the least. However, the truth is I almost never have to call them. There was a billing issue on our very first statement, and after that, no problems at all. The actual service itself has been pretty much perfect.

If I had to give up FiOS for some reason, I would be happy to go back to DirecTV, but I definitely would not choose to give up FiOS for any other service.

Edited by Brick Pig

Brick Pig - Did you get one of the new 500GB DVR set-top boxes? They just came out and it's been a night and day difference for me.. Plus, 500GB is enormous

I'll also add that FiOS has some cool apps including a DVR app so you can schedule recordings anywhere from your phone.. I'm not sure how many other companies have that but it's a cool feature