77 replies to this topic

#41 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

I've been pumping up Baltimore in recent weeks, but I don't know if I value them as highly anymore after watching that game. Yeah, Ray Rice, despite a down game, is still really good and their defense is still scary... but the passing game is clearly an issue. I don't think all is lost with Flacco just yet, but his poor play has to be getting more disturbing and concerning to the Ravens the deeper it goes into the season. I think they're a playoff team, but I don't know if they'll make much noise with their current problems in the passing game, especially if they face a team that can stuff the run.

Well don't give up on him when there isn't much out there, but no way do the Ravens win anything with him at the helm. This is a quarterback driven league, especially since there are no elite defenses in the league right now. Ravens defense is getting older and older. Window of opportunity is closing, and he isn't the guy they probably hoped he become. I have no doubt all the top teams in this league can move the ball pretty well on this defense. They need the offense to match.

I tend to think if Flacco plays the way he did last season, they could win. Their defense and run game is good enough to get by with a good-not-great QB. But the 2011 Flacco? No chance.

Something that does play up to your point though, is that even the "good" Flacco is (arguably) prone to stinking it up against good (playoff) teams; just look at his playoff performances sans the beatdown of the Chiefs last year. In fact, if you take that game out, his completion rate in playoff games drops below 50%, his yards per attempt falls to 5.2, and his TD/INT is 2/7.

Edited by nmigliore, 24 October 2011 - 11:52 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#42 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

I've been pumping up Baltimore in recent weeks, but I don't know if I value them as highly anymore after watching that game. Yeah, Ray Rice, despite a down game, is still really good and their defense is still scary... but the passing game is clearly an issue. I don't think all is lost with Flacco just yet, but his poor play has to be getting more disturbing and concerning to the Ravens the deeper it goes into the season. I think they're a playoff team, but I don't know if they'll make much noise with their current problems in the passing game, especially if they face a team that can stuff the run.

And you second-guessed me ranking the Patriots higher :lol:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#43 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:53 AM

Awful game.

We looked upprepared. The Jags were up for the game, we were not. They took it as a challenge to out Raven the Ravens on a rare Prime Time football game. Kudos to them, their D played a great game.

There is no doubt that in the next season or so we win the Championship with Flacco at the helm.

mdsieve made the most astute analysis from last night: that the O-line just collapsed.

This is a brand new offensive line who did not play together until week #1, so this is just growing pains. And a reminder that besides a lineman's history of success on the football field, you still need to do your homework and prepare for each specific opposition. Our O-line did not do their homework and Flacco and Rice suffered as a result.

Edited by MantaRay, 25 October 2011 - 05:54 AM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,751 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:39 AM

Flacco is clearly not having a great year, but if I'm Baltimore I can't give up on him just yet...he's been pretty accurate before this season, is coming off his best year, and is only 26 years old. He's clearly not in the upper class of QBs, but there's a whole lot worse out there.

Manta, if Baltimore is to win a championship, I don't think Flacco will have that much to do with it...it will be on strength of their D. But Flacco did need to find a way last night to get it done against the Jags...Baltimore's D held up its end.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 October 2011 - 06:42 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Manta, if Baltimore is to win a championship, I don't think Flacco will have that much to do with it...it will be on strength of their D. But Flacco did need to find a way last night to get it done against the Jags...Baltimore's D held up its end.

I respectfully disagree, Flacco will have much to do with it.

Flacco not being the better QB in the playoffs has been the deciding factor the past three years. Our Defense can get us to the playoffs, but Flacco has to be the guy to win the last two big playoff games.

He has shown the potential to be "the guy", he needs to do it in the AFC Championship Game and the SB this year.

I believe in him (more so than Trent Dilfer).
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,751 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

I respectfully disagree, Flacco will have much to do with it.

Flacco not being the better QB in the playoffs has been the deciding factor the past three years. Our Defense can get us to the playoffs, but Flacco has to be the guy to win the last two big playoff games.

He has shown the potential to be "the guy", he needs to do it in the AFC Championship Game and the SB this year.

I believe in him (more so than Trent Dilfer).

I think you may be assuming a lot here, but looking at your schedule, even if Flacco is merely decent over the last 10 games, you should be able to win at least 6 of them (probably more). That'll get you to 10+ wins, and likely the playoffs.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 gogonjdevil

gogonjdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

I wish the Dolphins has Flacco :(

believe-mb30.jpg
gallery_47_36_882.png of ALL Devil's Fans' Hatred and Animosity toward Bettman!
I HOPE YOU GET A DISFIGURING DISEASE AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE LOOKING LIKE A TROLL, BETTMAN. Oh...TOO LATE!!

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

What does believing in him more so than Trent Dilfer matter? The 2000 Ravens defense was historically good, and this one isn't close to that. The 2000 defense shut out 4 teams during the season and gave up one touchdown in 4 playoff games.

That team had a great RB duo with Lewis leading the charge. And while Dilfer wasn't that good that season, he wasn't that bad of a QB by any means. The actual fact is you need to believe in Flacco to do a lot more than Dilfer ever had to do for the Ravens to go where you want them to go.

Edited by devilsrule33, 25 October 2011 - 04:17 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

The Ravens really need Flacco to step up in the playoffs; he's been absolutely atrocious in 6 of his 7 career playoff games. You don't get by with that kind of sloppy QB play, good running game and defense or not, and that has reflected in what they've done in the playoffs the last 3 years (zilch).

And when I say "step up" for Flacco, I don't mean he needs to be a top-level QB like a Rodgers, Brees, Manning, etc. I mean to just be the regular season Flacco of 2009 and 2010 -- the good-but-not-great QB -- and I think that would be good enough for them to have a legit shot at the Super Bowl.

But there's no question his brutal play in the postseason has held them back the last 3 years; maybe it's just bad luck, or poor preparation, or just really good teams shutting down a QB that isn't as good as his regular season numbers would say he is, or a combination of everything... but they definitely are going to need him to succeed. The level of performance he's shown in the playoffs and so far during this season won't work.

And yeah, trusting him more than Dilfer isn't really saying much. The current, ugly 2011 Flacco may be nearly as good as Dilfer was in 2000. :lol:

Edited by nmigliore, 25 October 2011 - 04:38 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#50 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Man, sh!t the bed on Monday Night and the vultures ATTACK :lol:

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

This one is for Crasher:

This got lost in the shuffle Sunday, but Newton went a perfect 8-for-8 for 152 yards and a touchdown in the second half against Washington. He led the Panthers on three TD drives and had a perfect QB rating of 158.3 during the half.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#52 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

I think you may be assuming a lot here, but looking at your schedule, even if Flacco is merely decent over the last 10 games, you should be able to win at least 6 of them (probably more). That'll get you to 10+ wins, and likely the playoffs.

Again, I am not worried about the playoffs, our defense can get us there by itself. To win the last two playoff games Flacco has to raise his level of play and just be better than Brady, Rodgers, or Rothelsberger or who ever we meet in the last two playoff games.

The Ravens really need Flacco to step up in the playoffs; he's been absolutely atrocious in 6 of his 7 career playoff games. You don't get by with that kind of sloppy QB play, good running game and defense or not, and that has reflected in what they've done in the playoffs the last 3 years (zilch).

And when I say "step up" for Flacco, I don't mean he needs to be a top-level QB like a Rodgers, Brees, Manning, etc. I mean to just be the regular season Flacco of 2009 and 2010 -- the good-but-not-great QB -- and I think that would be good enough for them to have a legit shot at the Super Bowl.

But there's no question his brutal play in the postseason has held them back the last 3 years; maybe it's just bad luck, or poor preparation, or just really good teams shutting down a QB that isn't as good as his regular season numbers would say he is, or a combination of everything... but they definitely are going to need him to succeed. The level of performance he's shown in the playoffs and so far during this season won't work.

And yeah, trusting him more than Dilfer isn't really saying much. The current, ugly 2011 Flacco may be nearly as good as Dilfer was in 2000. :lol:

exactly my point.

Edited by MantaRay, 25 October 2011 - 05:26 PM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#53 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Flacco is Rob Johnson 2.0.

That is all.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#54 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

That is all.

PIPEBOMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!

#55 VivaLaFlamme

VivaLaFlamme

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

To be honest, the Ravens need to watch a 49ers game. The 49ers are doing what the ravens should be doing, but the 49ers are getting it right. (Alex Smith is NOT a good QB..but hes managing the game and not losing them)

#56 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I wish the Dolphins has Flacco :(

Who the hell needs Flacco when you have JP Losman? :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#57 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

i think i can honestly and correctly say that this last week 7 had some of the worst games many of us will see in a long while

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#58 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Who the hell needs Flacco when you have JP Losman? :P

Hey bro, he's (at least) got something Henne don't.. a Championship.... kinda.
Posted Image

..no seriously though, solid signing for Miami. Losman's a better option than anyone/everyone you've got now.
It goes to show you that the Dolphins aren't trying to go 0-16

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#59 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hey bro, he's (at least) got something Henne don't.. a Championship.... kinda.
Posted Image

..no seriously though, solid signing for Miami. Losman's a better option than anyone/everyone you've got now.
It goes to show you that the Dolphins aren't trying to go 0-16

Lmao, Ross would never admit it publically, but he's on board with Suck for Luck, its been reported in more than one place. Besides, this team doesn't need to tank, they flat out blow. I absolutely want Luck, its not even an issue. Lose 'em all if it means getting Luck. And I read earlier that Cowher and Gruden have very quietly let it be known they are interested in being the Fins coach next year once the job is open. Luck and either Cowher or Gruden? I'll go 0-16 this year for that.

Edited by MadDog2020, 25 October 2011 - 09:18 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#60 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:44 AM

Lmao, Ross would never admit it publically, but he's on board with Suck for Luck, its been reported in more than one place. Besides, this team doesn't need to tank, they flat out blow. I absolutely want Luck, its not even an issue. Lose 'em all if it means getting Luck. And I read earlier that Cowher and Gruden have very quietly let it be known they are interested in being the Fins coach next year once the job is open. Luck and either Cowher or Gruden? I'll go 0-16 this year for that.

Cowher in Miam would be assume. Mario could be the QB coach and Shannon Sharpe the TE coach and James Brown the spokesperson.

That is all.

We will see.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users