Marty's Quote at trade deadline

EdgeControl

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/devils_martin_brodeur_had_a_feeling_he_wouldnt_be_traded_happy_to_stay_in_new_jersey.html

"I've never had a bad relationship with any guy I've ever played with. Ever! Regardless of the amount of ice time I've had or other guys didn't have. There was never friction. I understand this is a coach's decision. But if I have anyone to blame, I won't blame it on Cory.. that's for sure. I'll blame it on somebody else first." --Brodeur

I took this as a shot @ Lou, for blindsiding Marty with the Schneider trade, with 1 year still left on Brodeur's contract.

Does anyone know if there is a video of Marty saying this?  I am curious to hear the voice inflection and  see the body language.  We all know that we can come across differently than intended on the net.

I have worked with many folks in my years before retiring and I must say I have experienced a lot of folks saying that acknowledge/accept their new (lesser) role and a some time later realize they cannot.  They have an epiphany and then just don't know how to deal with it.  Some do, some don't and some fall in the middle.  It happens to a lot of people and sometimes it is the reverse.  Older worker pushed aside for younger worker who whines and rants and gets the upper job and then falls apart.  I am not referring to any hockey player.  I am just saying that people deal with change differently.

hahaha

What it said was : Marty!  YOU'RE OLD!  ACCEPT IT!  Accept it and work within those confines ---  or die a painful career-death in the media.

The reason I put all those other words in: 

1) I'm a  chick 

2) I'm old.  I understand what that means. If anyone younger than 40 says "Dude you're old" he has no idea what he's talking about in any specific way - just a vague "hey I put on a few pounds myself" way.  It's not at all the same as when you really start to age and it is biologically IMPOSSIBLE for things to get back to the way they were.  When your reading eyes go -- THEY AREN'T COMING BACK!  Hard work and eye exercises will not get your sight back.  Other things like your reaction time, will not magically come back once it's gone.

Very well said PK.  I remember being in my late teens.twenties and thinking anyone over 30 was the enemy.  I agreed with Timothy Leary. lol  Then as I aged I realized that my nieces, nephews and friends' children started acting as the younger always do and me saying to them that they are young and wait until you hit 40, 50, 60, etc.  I had an epiphany. LOL  You are also correct about the body.  It takes a lot for the body and brain  to stay in sync as we age.  Yes, nothing comes back, well, unless you count part replacements. ;)  Having gone through some terrible situations in the past 15 months, I learn to cope but there are times that are more difficult than others.  We deal and move on.  Some folks take longer than others.

Brodeur needs a contract next year. He needs to keep Melanie in the lifestyle she's accustomed to.

He's made enough to pay all of that from savings. Not that it's a particularly pleasant thing to do

It's also that his new wife probably wants more kids

Yes there is. The good way to respond is. "I asked Lou to look into a situation, and it didn't pan out. I'm a New Jersey Devil, and I am going to do whatever the team wants me to do to help them to win."

He says that, and says it over and over again. He says "I'm here to play when Pete tells me to play" That's it. THAT's IT...make Rich stop asking the question then.

I dunno. I've gone after Marty in the past (more when he was in his prime, actually), but IMO he can't win right now. He believes he's better than he is, which is sad, but he's also answered the questions fairly, even if we don't agree with his own evaluation of his play. I don't want to see him get in, but I don't fault him for what he said.

If I wanna get all MantaRay about it I have to say at this point -- If Marty keeps winning he's only destroying our future!  He has to just STOP PLAYING!

If you think I sound totally illogical and like a non-fan praying for someone on the team to fail -- Welcome to the what-the-hell-happened-to-Manta club... <_<  I guess you're just "Let this ship go down with the Captain" thinker rather than "keep the ship afloat at all costs" kind of guy.

Don't you get it PK...it's okay for Marty to be selfish because he's our guy, but god forbid some Russian import does it.  The double-standard with certain people is amazing, it really is.  If Kovy'd pulled half the crap Marty has this year (and gotten away with it) Manta and the Kovy-haters would have had a field day pontificating how the team concept was dead.

If this team is going all-in with Marty then they'd better have something to show for it and I'm not just talking about making the playoffs and getting punted in five games.  Because this season IS going to have reprecussions down the road between putting Cory through Groundhog Day and systematically eliminating every under-25 player not named Merrill from the lineup.

the notion that kovalchuk "ruined" any team concept is laughable. he didn't play all 2 minutes of the PP, get double shifted and play in all situations because he demanded it to the detriment of the team. i'm not even convinced he demanded any of it. i do know that he got those things because he was the best fvcking player on the team (not trying to start an argument over whether it was him, or parise, or zajac, or elias).

it has to stop with brodeur. he had a dead cat bounce for 10 games which brings him closer to the pack but STILL keeps him as the worst goaltender in the league statistically.

If Kovy could demand things and get away with it he wouldn't have played RW half his tenure here since he clearly publicly hated it when MacLean did it and still went back to it without raising a fuss under Pete.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Don't you get it PK...it's okay for Marty to be selfish because he's our guy, but god forbid some Russian import does it.  The double-standard with certain people is amazing, it really is.  If Kovy'd pulled half the crap Marty has this year (and gotten away with it) Manta and the Kovy-haters would have had a field day pontificating how the team concept was dead.

If this team is going all-in with Marty then they'd better have something to show for it and I'm not just talking about making the playoffs and getting punted in five games.  Because this season IS going to have reprecussions down the road between putting Cory through Groundhog Day and systematically eliminating every under-25 player not named Merrill from the lineup.

If Kovy could demand things and get away with it he wouldn't have played RW half his tenure here since he clearly publicly hated it when MacLean did it and still went back to it without raising a fuss under Pete.

I have no idea why you are pulling Kovy into this conversation, he was model citizen on this team.   He seemed to embrace being a Devil while he was here and I appreciated that about him.    

The only thing I said was that Marty had something to prove the final part of the season that would be to our benefit.

Edited by MantaRay
  • Like 2

I have no idea why you are pulling Kovy into this conversation, he was model citizen on this team.   He seemed to embrace being a Devil while he was here and I appreciated that about him.    

The only thing I said was that Marty had something to prove the final part of the season that would be to our benefit.

Kovalchuk is a coward.  No reason to even mention his name on here.  He's not a Devil and hopefully never will be again.  However, +1 to Manta for his Kovy comments above.  I completely agree Kovy was a model citizen

I'm getting dizzy....

I've been pissed at Marty this year, and I've defended him. I also think he's played way too much whether you like him or not. The thing is, though, Marty's earned the right to go out badly in a way Kovy didn't. He was the greatest of all time. He was a major part (IMO the most important) on 3 Cup teams. He sacrificed at least some money for the good of the team. 1 bad year doesn't undo 20 great ones to me. Kovy, even though he was a model citizen for much of his time here, didn't build up that kind of capital with me, and when he left as badly as he did, I couldn't forgive him. It has nothing to do with Russia.

I've been pissed at Marty this year, and I've defended him. I also think he's played way too much whether you like him or not. The thing is, though, Marty's earned the right to go out badly in a way Kovy didn't. He was the greatest of all time. He was a major part (IMO the most important) on 3 Cup teams. He sacrificed at least some money for the good of the team. 1 bad year doesn't undo 20 great ones to me. 

And that's fine...my only point in bringing up Kovy is that certain people accused us of foregoing the team concept then when the worst thing Kovy did as a Devil was be late for team meetings, while there's no pontificating how we're foregoing the team concept now when Marty's clearly publicly calling his shots and being catered to.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And that's fine...my only point in bringing up Kovy is that certain people accused us of foregoing the team concept then when the worst thing Kovy did as a Devil was be late for team meetings, while there's no pontificating how we're foregoing the team concept now when Marty's clearly publicly calling his shots and being catered to.

Kovy was late for one team meeting, and all the stuff about him not buying into the team concept was during the MacLean era. Lemaire, who shall we say did not care for primadonnas, loved Kovy, and he always stuck up for his teammates. It was after he left that Elias said that he wasn't a great fit, but not because he didn't buy into the team concept, or attitude issues.

And in the end, even if you bow down at the feet at the Contrarian Goaltender blog and think it's all save percentage and that's it, the fact remains that Marty has won three cups, has a bunch of Vezinas, and has the most career shut outs and wins by a wide margin, and no one is catching him in those areas anytime soon, and most likely while anyone posting on this board is still alive. Pull out the spreadsheet if you want, but that's how actual human beings view the world. With that resume, and what he has meant to the team, it is absolute insanity to say that he's somehow now calling the shots when the GM, who supposedly bows down at his every command, trades for another goalie without telling him, and the coach sits him for seven straight games. He's won his past four starts, and Schneider did not play well in his past two. DeBoer said from the start that he would go with the hot goalie, so it should not be a surprise to anyone. If you're expecting Marty to go into a display of public penitence, I don't know what to tell you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well... at least you and I got it, right? :noclue:

And in the end, even if you bow down at the feet at the Contrarian Goaltender blog and think it's all save percentage and that's it, the fact remains that Marty has won three cups, has a bunch of Vezinas, and has the most career shut outs and wins by a wide margin, and no one is catching him in those areas anytime soon, and most likely while anyone posting on this board is still alive. Pull out the spreadsheet if you want, but that's how actual human beings view the world. 

Who's dissing Marty's career record?  Saying he hasn't been good for most of this season is not besmirching his overall record or saying nonsense like CuJo was better in his prime :P

And yes Lou did trade for Cory but Marty was leading the team in starts for most of the season and probably will again soon, even with the pre-Olympic stretch which was the only one where Cory legitimately took over as the #1.  There's no other team where the ratio would even be close.  I'm not arguing Marty shouldn't play atm, that's different than what was discussed in this thread.  Things have broken perfectly for him to play - going 4-0 combined with Cory losing his sharpness during the break.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And not for nothing but all the **** Kovy got for ruining the team concept, what MB30's pulled this year was far worse than anything Kovy ever did while he was here.

I still love that man because he always made sure he kept his mouth shut and said the right things during the season. All his sh&#33;t was during the offseasons haha. Edited by Zubie#8

I still love that man because he always made sure he kept his mouth shut and said the right things during the season. All his sh!t was during the offseasons haha.

You can add zach to that too, at the very least he made a statement saying he didnt want to talk about that stuff and made it clear he wouldnt answer to any questions about it during the season.

Edited by SterioDesign