Hedberg or Brodeur

Guadana

i wouldnt say he had a pedestrian season. just a bad streak over the last couple of weeks.

The bad streak Marty has hit (losing 10 of his last 14) negates the All-Star surge..

..subsequently, his numbers for the season; 26 wins, 25 losses.. 2 shutouts in 54 games.. 2.50 GAA with a Sv% at around .900 <-- this is the definition of average Mike.

Our team plays better in front of Moose, at least I believe they do.

As do I.

..as do most.

I get that guys have played better for the Moose, but can they sustain it? Guys realize they have to be better for the backup and bring it for a game or 2, but that takes energy.

Aside from that, everybody brings it to the next level in the playoffs. I see them playing better in front of Marty in the postseason.

Edited by mouse

I get that guys have played better for the Moose, but can they sustain it? Guys realize they have to be better for the backup and bring it for a game or 2, but that takes energy.

Aside from that, everybody brings it to the next level in the playoffs. I see them playing better in front of Marty in the postseason.

Did the 09-10 playoffs not happen in your dimension?

We only need a game or two from Hedberg in the playoffs. A game to Marty's every two.

Which is why I brought up Schwab, Clemmer, and Danis earlier. They've all posted superior numbers to Brodeur when getting limited starts. I'm not sure which exact factor to point to, but there's something about getting spot duty behind Brodeur that can make unspectacular goalies post otherworldly numbers.

There's the fact that they tend to play like 7 games and luck is a huge factor.

True talent wise it's tough to argue that Brodeur is any different from Hedberg at this point, and Hedberg might be a little better. Still, Hedberg is not going to start, so let's not pretend he will.

Did the 09-10 playoffs not happen in your dimension?

We only need a game or two from Hedberg in the playoffs. A game to Marty's every two.

That was an anomaly. We had a year of hell from around the Olympics til JL took time off, came back, and we got rid of Langs. I'm not willing to use that as an example.

That's great, but it ignores the fact that Moose played mostly teams that were low seeds or out of the playoffs.

He's beaten Nashville (96 pts), Philly twice (96 pts), Ottawa twice (88 pts), Dallas (87 pts), Florida (87 pts), Los Angeles twice (86 pts), and Washington twice (84 pts). Let's not say he hasn't faced (and beaten) any good teams.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119760&st=80

Schwei: Devils’ Two Goalies: One Hot, One Not

Hedberg now has seven shutouts as a New Jersey Devil, tying him with Chris Terreri for the second-most in club history:

· Martin Brodeur 118

· Chris Terreri 7

· Johan Hedberg 7

surprised by this

thought it was a fitting article

Edited by justdo3043

The question at this point isn't is Moose better than Marty. Statistically, he is this year, but with a lower workload, and often against weaker teams. It also isn't can Moose beat good teams. Clearly, sometimes he can, especially when the guys in front of him play well. The question is can Moose win a cup, or even a series against an elite team, and the answer is no. I'm not bashing him. I think he's one of the best backups in hockey, but we do not have a team that can win a cup with a backup. We aren't Boston (well, last year at least) or Vancouver, with a stud backup who will be starting somewhere soon riding the bench. Unfortunately, we're also not the Rags or Nashville with a superstar in net. We have a former superstar who we hope still has enough in the tank.

We have evidence this year (the post ASB stretch) that Marty is still capable of looking like Marty for a few games at a time. We also have proof (the Rags wins especially) that we need that kind of goaltending to beat an elite team. Our d has too many holes -- Larsson's too young, Sal and Volchenkov, good as they've been, are slow enough that elite forwards can beat them, Fayne and Greene are nice players, but far from superstars, and Zid is an offense first guy, though he certainly isn't a disaster in his own end. For some reason, we're not going to win many shootouts. We have some great talent at forward, but a couple of guys (Sykie, Henrique) are coming back to earth, and Zajac isn't ready to play enough minutes to make the difference we'd like him to. Can we score 3 or 4 goals a game? Sometimes, but we always seem to be working our asses off on the forecheck to do it, and against a team like Pittsburgh, who won't let anyone maintain possession, we won't. That means we have to be able to grind and win low scoring games, and unlike in '03, our d can't make it through a whole game without a defensive breakdown.

Therefore, we have to hope for elite goaltending. Is it a prayer? Definitely. Is it a prayer Moose can answer? Definitely not. If we're going to hang our playoff hopes on a goalie, we need to do it on the greatest of all time and hope that he has a couple months of magic left in his old body. Teams have won with less.

He's beaten Nashville (96 pts), Philly twice (96 pts), Ottawa twice (88 pts), Dallas (87 pts), Florida (87 pts), Los Angeles twice (86 pts), and Washington twice (84 pts). Let's not say he hasn't faced (and beaten) any good teams.

I'm aware. And without Nashville and Philly, those are all 7th seed point totals or lower.

Marty's also played in far more 'easy' games than Moose too

Which negates the argument that the team plays better for Moose. If Marty's getting easy games, they're playing well in front of him.

Yeah, Moose's GAA would have gone up real fast playing on St. Patty's day or some of the other early season fiascoes Marty got subjected to, like Opening Night.

Plus Marty got pulled in a few games early, further ballooning is GAA.

The reason Moose isn't playing right now is simply because they are getting Marty into playoff rhythm. He's 12-9-2 since the ASG, and was 12-6-1 before the last bad stretch. He is nowhere near as terrible as people want to make it seem.

Plus Marty got pulled in a few games early, further ballooning is GAA.

The reason Moose isn't playing right now is simply because they are getting Marty into playoff rhythm. He's 12-9-2 since the ASG, and was 12-6-1 before the last bad stretch. He is nowhere near as terrible as people want to make it seem.

Well I don't think getting pulled early factors into GAA much, since it's calculated by goals allowed every 60 minutes, not every appearance.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119760&st=80

Schwei: Devils’ Two Goalies: One Hot, One Not

Hedberg now has seven shutouts as a New Jersey Devil, tying him with Chris Terreri for the second-most in club history:

· Martin Brodeur 118

· Chris Terreri 7

· Johan Hedberg 7

surprised by this

thought it was a fitting article

Actually, going all the way back to the Scouts and Rockies days:

Marty: 118 SO

Everyone else to ever play goal for the franchise combined: 39 SO

Damn...

Actually, going all the way back to the Scouts and Rockies days:

Marty: 118 SO

Everyone else to ever play goal for the franchise combined: 39 SO

Damn...

I have to check but I think Marty has more shutouts than all opposing goalies combined. As in, I think the devils have only been shutout around 110 times total.

*edit* I looked it up. They've been shutout 116 times as the Devils. I'm sure it's over 118 if you include the Rockies and Scouts.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I have to check but I think Marty has more shutouts than all opposing goalies combined. As in, I think the devils have only been shutout around 110 times total.

*edit* I looked it up. They've been shutout 116 times as the Devils. I'm sure it's over 118 if you include the Rockies and Scouts.

Oh definitely...and I'm not sure but I think they didn't record their first shutout as a franchise until their fourth season...Scouts and Rockies were pretty dreadful.