No compliance buy outs per TG... Ack

DevilMinder

I'd paste in Lou's quote but the paste feature is instead just making my text smaller for some reason. :lol:

Anyway, Lou said the Devils don't plan on using the buyouts at this point but doesn't rule it out going forward.

Some things that may matter for that, trade market and potential cash infusion from a new minority owner.

On the possibility of using any of the team’s two compliance buyouts (each team gets two total over the next two offseasons) this year. (The first buyout window opens 48 hours after the last game of the Stanley Cup Finals):

“We have no intention at this point, but that doesn’t mean we won’t. There’s a lot of things that come into play whether we will or whether we won’t.”

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_not_planning_at_this_point_to_use_any_compliance_buyouts_this_offseason/#sthash.UBc39G99.dpuf

Ok, it pasted it so I couldn't see it and made my text smaller. :lol: But there's your quote.
Edited by Devils731

You can't use a compliance buyout on Moose, it's a total waste of time.   If you get a special cap-free buyout, you don't use it on someone who gets paid $1.5M or whatever it is.

Trouble is buying him out the regular way doesn't save you money on the cap because he's a 35+, but I agree it shouldn't matter much.

I'm not surprised at this news at all. I was hopeful that we'd potentially use on on Volchenkov or Sal, but I figured it was unrealistic. I also am hopeful that Anton at least can start playing better. We don't have any other D-men that can crunch people like he can. I don't have a lot of faith in Salvador right now at all. 

I'm not surprised at this news at all. I was hopeful that we'd potentially use on on Volchenkov or Sal, but I figured it was unrealistic. I also am hopeful that Anton at least can start playing better. We don't have any other D-men that can crunch people like he can. I don't have a lot of faith in Salvador right now at all.

i dont have much faith in Salvador at all.. He was every bit of horrible this past season.. And he's getting up there in age now.. His play isn't going to get much better if any... And they give him the captaincy of the team... No words for that..i understand when they make that decision its based off of leadership but they say he isn't a big voice in the locker room that he leads by example... Alot of great plays weve had the pleasure of seeing him make this year.

If we had the financial means to buy out a contract we probably would but that won't be happening any time soon.

Buying out most contracts would save money, not cost it.  And it would save money right up front too - buying out Volchenkov's contract saves nearly $3M this year.  Putting a player in internally to replace him means the total savings would be around $2M this year.

Edited by Triumph

I don't think using a buyout makes sense, so I'm fine with this.

Buying out most contracts would save money, not cost it.  And it would save money right up front too - buying out Volchenkov's contract saves nearly $3M this year.  Putting a player in internally to replace him means the total savings would be around $2M this year.

Am I missing something here?  Your 2nd post is what I agree with, but you think it doesn't make sense to throw a roster spot up in the air and let one of our young guys fight for it?

Am I missing something here?  Your 2nd post is what I agree with, but you think it doesn't make sense to throw a roster spot up in the air and let one of our young guys fight for it?

It seems you are confused from my understanding.    They are two different points in a related topic.

1) Our team does not need the cap space right now, so buying someone out doesn't really do anything for us other than jettison them out ~if~ we want to free up the roster spot.   We aren't in the Flyers boat where they ~have~ to clear cap space for next year.      

2) If we choose to buy someone out - the argument that we can't because we lack the financial strength to is invalid.  This is because we actually save money immediately this season by saving money on salary and potentially replacing that player with a cheaper contract.    This is not a reflection that our current personnel are weaker (or stronger) than our prospects, it's strictly a financial reflection. 

It seems you are confused from my understanding.    They are two different points in a related topic.

1) Our team does not need the cap space right now, so buying someone out doesn't really do anything for us other than jettison them out ~if~ we want to free up the roster spot.   We aren't in the Flyers boat where they ~have~ to clear cap space for next year.      

2) If we choose to buy someone out - the argument that we can't because we lack the financial strength to is invalid.  This is because we actually save money immediately this season by saving money on salary and potentially replacing that player with a cheaper contract.    This is not a reflection that our current personnel are weaker (or stronger) than our prospects, it's strictly a financial reflection.

I was in the middle of replying, but yeah -

In addition, I do think the Devils can make a trade involving Tallinder or Fayne if they see fit.  They'd probably have to pick up some money on Tallinder's contract (ridiculously, but like the NHL is gonna see the value in a foreign player who doesn't hit), but I think he'd find a home.

Edited by Triumph

There's no reason to buy out Volchenkov yet.  He's still an NHL-level defender.  Salvador sure but we know he's not going anywhere for at least another year.

Gotta respectfully disagree. Volch's bread and butter in Ott was shot blocking which he rarely does. He's slow and injury prone.

Gotta respectfully disagree. Volch's bread and butter in Ott was shot blocking which he rarely does. He's slow and injury prone.

Shot blocking is something which NJ doesn't do, thankfully.  Also Ottawa overcounts shot blocks.  He's an effective penalty killer who's not falling behind at even strength.

Tri do you think for those reasons he could possibly be acquired by a team desperate enough for what Anton might be able to offer.

After some thought about it, an Anton buy out would be great - but I'm not sure it has to be this year. If we're not going to be a cap team anyway, then you can have him hang around. Someone in a playoff spot could get desperate and acquire him as well. He could also be claimed off waivers too.

I guess, my point, is I'm not 100% sure he's not moveable prior to a buyout - or that we neccesarily need him too.

If Fayne is moved for a good piece either up front of a pick move - than I think we'll need his Anton's competence - even if it's not ideal.