We Got Rutuu

Daniel

Agree on Lokti, but Ruutu is on a bad contract.  I'm stunned Lou couldn't unload Sal or Volch in this deal.  Carolina accomplished exactly what I think they wanted to:  dump a bad contract.  They're laughing their asses off that they not only unloaded that contract, but didn't have to take on a bad one in return.  But Tri is right, we don't know if Carolina is picking up any of what's remaining just yet.   

But Ruutu is a good player.

two years at 5 million a pop is a very expensive way to bring in a little physicality. the canes better be paying a mil a year over 2

Whether he's on a bad contract or not, bringing him in for the playoff run makes it a good pickup.  He brings something the Devils need which is physicality.  Plus he can produce offensively too.

Remember when you criticized me for stating my opinion as fact?  Well what do you call this?

This is, almost without a doubt, a bad trade for the Devils.  I don't care what the general consensus is about Ruutu's playing ability - he's a slow forward who can't produce (not like the Devils have a METRIC fvckTON of those already).  AND he's on an awful contract.

It was a cap dump for the Canes, nothing more, nothing less.  AND they acquired a youngish player with decent upside, AND a potential pick.

Again, bad trade for Lou.  Fleeced.

Whether he's on a bad contract or not, bringing him in for the playoff run makes it a good pickup.  He brings something the Devils need which is physicality.  Plus he can produce offensively too.

What? LOL! He's got 9 goals in the last 71 games. They've got enough physicality. They need scoring and when you take on this contract you better have a guy who can score more then 9 goals in almost a full season of games on the end of it. This is great as a rental, but this is just a terrible deal in relation to the cap. 

The deal makes zero sense to me. And we're just THE team that needs to get older when we have, like, one 23-yo player on our roster. Unless the Canes eat up 3M or so of this cap hit (and that's probably not going to happen), it's a brutal deal.

BTW. Ruutu can score in the shootout

Good, they can finally and fittingly win one when they are eliminated because Lamoriello couldn't bring in a glaring need while taking on a contract that justifies a player being able to produce. 

The deal makes zero sense to me. And we're just THE team that needs to get older when we have, like, one 23-yo player on our roster. Unless the Canes eat up 3M or so of this cap hit (and that's probably not going to happen), it's a brutal deal.

We weren't going to resign Lokti. So he was out the door anyway, might as well get something that can help us.

Love the deal, and I am convinced we are going hard for Vanek.

Merrill missing from the optional raises some eyebrows in my world. Remember when Teddy didn't practice his rookie year and the ribbing he received. Devils rookies are always at optionals. 

It's gonna be funny watching Martin St. Louis skate around Ruutu...lol

Vanek isn't on his way here.  Right now I would be happy unloading some of our salary.

Whether he's on a bad contract or not, bringing him in for the playoff run makes it a good pickup. He brings something the Devils need which is physicality. Plus he can produce offensively too.

5 goals this season. You sir are amazing. I wish I knew how to quit you.

• Like 2

Loktionov is obviously a really solid passer, his issue was defensive positioning.  Still, even though Loktionov isn't worth much, Ruutu is a liability, and he's just like everything we've already got on the left side.  I have no idea where all these guys play next year, unless they are going to move Reid Boucher to RW.