December 31st game vs Atlanta

ooinvisiblekidoo

It happens when Kovy lights up Pavelec.

LOL. Not likely to happen.

Atlanta will probably rest Pavelec against us as they play against Boston the day before. So the Devils will probably see yet another back-up goalie.

This is the only game this year that I considered going to as Atlanta is moving in the right direction and is currently ranked #6 in the conference. Go Bergy!!!

Edited by MantaRay

Atlanta will probably rest Pavelec against us as they play against Boston the day before. So the Devils will probably see yet another back-up goalie.

This is the only game this year that I considered going to as Atlanta is moving in the right direction and is currently ranked #6 in the conference. Go Bergy!!!

Atlanta's looking really good this season. I think either them or the Bolts could go deep this season. It would be nice to see a team like Atlanta in the conference finals instead of the standard contenders lately. Hopefully it will be a conference final against the Devils.

Big DBuff kicks ass! Yes, I'm on his jock!

Atlanta's not that good and they will probably finish out of the playoffs. Again.

Atlanta's looking really good this season. I think either them or the Bolts could go deep this season. It would be nice to see a team like Atlanta in the conference finals instead of the standard contenders lately. Hopefully it will be a conference final against the Devils.

Big DBuff kicks ass! Yes, I'm on his jock!

It's interesting because aside form St Louis and Stamkos Tampa really lacks talent. I am not even sure who they have on D or who their starting goalie is these days.

Atlanta is just Rick Dudley building teams in the right way: dumping overrated cost prohibitive players for younger better talent and exploiting teams with cap problems. He has cleaned house and turned this franchise around. In a year or so, these guys will probably win their division. They are still learning to win, but Ramsey has them going in the right direction.

I wish we had their PP.

Atlanta's not that good and they will probably finish out of the playoffs. Again.

Coming from you this basically assures them of a playoff spot this year!!!!!

It's interesting because aside form St Louis and Stamkos Tampa really lacks talent. I am not even sure who they have on D or who their starting goalie is these days.

Goalies: Dan Ellis, Mike Smith Defense: Pavel Kubina, Brett Clark, Victor Hedman,Matthias Ohlund to name a few. Forwards: Ryan Malone, Simon Gagne, Steve Downie, Dominic Moore, Sean Bergenheim, Adam Hall. Keep in mind Vinny LeCavelier is out of the line up and they're still pretty successful. I would take any of the above guys on our roster.

You'd better be right because if Atlanta ever did make the playoffs while we missed them, the Vanderbeek and Kovalchuk bashing would be so unbearable I'd go on hibernation from this board for months.

right now they are relying on superb goaltending, great power play, and the right side of the percentages at even strength. but they're no good at even strength, which is largely what determines who wins and loses. they could make it, but does anyone really think that byfuglien is going to be an 80 point player or that pavelec is the next dominik hasek? and even with these ridiculous performances they're only 6th in the conference.

Amberite is right. The Thrashers did try to lock up The Enigma, who maybe ended up doing the Thrashers a favor. Call it good fortune.

Not quite. Kovalchuk and his agent made it clear to the Thrashers before last season that he was not going to sign with them and he would test the UFA market.

The $10 million per season "offer" wasn't made official until AFTER the trade so that management could save face with Atlanta's tiny fanbase. PR 101.

right now they are relying on superb goaltending, great power play, and the right side of the percentages at even strength. but they're no good at even strength, which is largely what determines who wins and loses. they could make it, but does anyone really think that byfuglien is going to be an 80 point player or that pavelec is the next dominik hasek? and even with these ridiculous performances they're only 6th in the conference.

I don't think either of these things is possible but Buff's got 27 points which is good for 9th in the league and he's a d-man and Pavelec is quite talented in net. Atlanta's actually ranked 11th in 5 on 5. That's pretty decent.

The $10 million per season "offer" wasn't made official until AFTER the trade so that management could save face with Atlanta's tiny fanbase. PR 101.

I seem to recall the order of events differently.

Anyway, back to what this thread was about before manta hijacked yet another, I can't imagine the fireworks would occur after the game since it's a day game.

Wow, overstatement of the year.

Not that good? Well:

1.) Look at what Buff is doing point wise - he's the leading pointman in the NHL.

- Through Nov. Byfuglien led all defencemen in scoring with six goals and 11 assists in 14 games and posted a plus-9 rating.

- Through his first 25 games of the season, Byfuglien is leading all NHL defensemen in goals (10) and points (27) and he has to be one of the early favorites to win the Norris Trophy as the league's top blueliner. 100 shots so far.

2.) Buff and Enstrom are quietly forming one of the league's most deadly top pair.

Enstrom and Byfuglien are tied for first in power-play points by a defenseman with 13. Not coincidentally, the Thrashers' power-play unit ranks fourth in the League at 23.8 percent.

3.) Pav is on roll and has been on fire since coming back from his opening night scare.

- By winning all six games during the streak, Pavelec broke the team record for consecutive wins by a goalie. Johan Hedberg (2009) and Pavelec had shared the mark at five.

Some great results here especially with Kane on his way to a breakout season. Ramsay is doing a hell of a job with this group .I'd take these results any day over where we are.

But maybe you have some CORSI mumbo-jumbo that will somehow convince us all of results different than what the entire hockey media world is talking about.

Edited by DevilinLA

Did anyone think that he was going to make a successful transition back to defense?

Did anyone think Kovi would be where he is right now with t=his personal stats?

Did anyone think that we would be crossing our fingers nightly to win one-game goals by the luck of a shootout?

They have a great transition game compared to our nonexistent one.

Quote from DevilinLa: Did anyone think that he was going to make a successful transition back to defense?

Did anyone think Kovi would be where he is right now with t=his personal stats?

Did anyone think that we would be crossing our fingers nightly to win one-game goals by the luck of a shootout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

Edited by CarpathianForest

Not quite. Kovalchuk and his agent made it clear to the Thrashers before last season that he was not going to sign with them and he would test the UFA market.

Whatever really happened, my sentiment on the matter is the same.

LUCKY THEM.

Fvck Fireworks. If we continue to suck in December the only thing that would be able to save us is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!

So which player is one of the five knights? A little fun for ya you betcha!

King Arthur-Marty

Patsy-White

Lancelot-Arnott

Galahad-Kovalchuk

Bedevere-Elias

Brave Sir Robin-Langenbrunner

it was a legitimate offer. it wasn't made 'official' because even the thrashers aren't dumb enough to negotiate through the media in-season.

Wow, overstatement of the year.

Not that good? Well:

1.) Look at what Buff is doing point wise - he's the leading pointman in the NHL.

- Through Nov. Byfuglien led all defencemen in scoring with six goals and 11 assists in 14 games and posted a plus-9 rating.

- Through his first 25 games of the season, Byfuglien is leading all NHL defensemen in goals (10) and points (27) and he has to be one of the early favorites to win the Norris Trophy as the league's top blueliner. 100 shots so far.

hey, great. i expect byfuglien to shoot with a better percentage as a defenseman than he did as a forward, that makes a lot of sense. byfuglien is doing way better than i expected him to do on defense, i watched him play there last year and thought he was not good. i don't think he's any better than a sheldon souray type, though - great shot, can work a power play, but not any better than average at even strength.

2.) Buff and Enstrom are quietly forming one of the league's most deadly top pair.

Enstrom and Byfuglien are tied for first in power-play points by a defenseman with 13. Not coincidentally, the Thrashers' power-play unit ranks fourth in the League at 23.8 percent.

teams spend way, way more time at even strength than they do on the power play in a given season - right now teams are averaging 3.875 PPs per game, meaning that figuring incredibly conservatively, the average team will spend 635 minutes on the power play in a season. that's only 10 games worth. they spend 10 games on the penalty kill too. that leaves 62 games to be played at even strength. now what's more important?

power play efficacy tends to fluctuate wildly between seasons and in-season. could the thrashers be one of the top teams at the power play? sure, but i wouldn't bet on it.

3.) Pav is on roll and has been on fire since coming back from his opening night scare.

- By winning all six games during the streak, Pavelec broke the team record for consecutive wins by a goalie. Johan Hedberg (2009) and Pavelec had shared the mark at five.

Some great results here especially with Kane on his way to a breakout season. Ramsay is doing a hell of a job with this group .I'd take these results any day over where we are.

But maybe you have some CORSI mumbo-jumbo that will somehow convince us all of results different than what the entire hockey media world is talking about.

the entire hockey media is looking for stories, they don't think about the game. they will write stories about how great a team is and then bury them when they're not so great. they're not predictive - they're reactive. if a team starts doing well unexpectedly, as atlanta is, they get stories written about them.

pavelec has played great. but goalies go through streaks like this every year. could he be one of the best goalies in the game? maybe.

atlanta has been lucky with injuries, lucky with their results from top players, and they are still 6th in the conference. they might make the playoffs; they might improve over the season, there's lots of young players there. to think they're a good team, you really have to expect that unprecedented performances will continue.

Edited by Triumph

Only at NJDevs could a thread asking what time a fireworks show would start become another anti-Kovalchuk thread :doh1:

Well to be fair we were expecting fireworks this season, remember the anticipation of the ZIP Line?? That was like fire works: They exploded and entertained for the first 5 minutes and then fizzled and smoldered the rest of the way.