Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

This quote was the topper: 

“We better win 90,” [Fred Wilpon] said, according to a source.

LOL yeah or else what Freddy? You've remained tight as a clam's ass, replacing old payroll with new payroll, trying to trick fans that you're suddenly spending, and continuing to make proclamations that you'll *one day* go back to spending like a New York market. Oh look at where the Mets' 2014 payroll stacks up versus the rest of MLB in this fine article by Wendy Thurm: 24th out of 30 teams. Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Cleveland, NEW YORK, Minnesota, San Diego... hmmm, I wonder what looks out of place in this picture.

On top of not spending, it's as if they don't even try to get better. Fred and Sandy have been very accepting of bringing back the same mediocre/mid-70's win roster since Sandy got here. They've improved the farm system, which is cool, but I'm not sure that really deserves a pat on the back given how bad they've been and the stars they've given up. The Reyes situation was quietly handled like a disaster. The MLB roster is still no different than what we've experienced for the past 5 years. The MLB additions have been small expenditures that have either failed spectacularly or worked out decently but had little to no long-term impact. Their biggest free agent addition before this offseason was Frank freakin' Francisco. And even this offseason's spending looks misplaced. I like Chris Young's chances of bouncing back, but he will bolt if he has a good year. I can understand 4/60 for Granderson if I squint hard enough but they bid against themselves -- as Dave Cameron put it, they could've gotten 90% of the production for 15% of the cost by signing someone like David Murphy, Nate McLouth, or even Marlon Byrd instead. I liked the Colon addition most, but there is still plenty of risk associated with a fat 41 year old pitcher, who has had an awkward career path and is already battling calf issues. 

And I still just can't understand the SS situation, where they pretty clearly do not like Tejada, from manager to front office, yet are terrified of bringing in someone else, even when one is sitting right in their lap.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is getting very hard to take.  I think we all understood the lack of spending at first, and taking time to build up the farm system (and Sandy had two very nice chips to deal in Beltran, who was going to fetch a good return, and Dickey, who happened to have a career year at just the right time, so I don't know how much praise Sandy really deserves for that).  2014 wasn't supposed to be 2013 redux, but not only has it become that, but it also feels like Freddy and Jeffy and Sandy pretty much forgot all about 2014 allegedly being the big-step-forward year, where they could at least think about contending for a wild card...they sure didn't back up that with actions, unless they think proclaiming that this year's Mets should win 90 games somehow has them thinking they've actually built a team capable of such lofty feats. 

Like nmig's link points out...they're not just spending small for a big-market team...they're spending small PERIOD.  This better fvcking change before the 2015 season.  Enough with meh moves that might pay off but probably won't.  For this team to think so goddamned SMALL all of the time...then actually mention 90 wins when they have a better chance of LOSING 90 games...unfvckingbelievable.  fvcking Wilpons.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Baseball is back, baby! 

Mets 
Chris Young, lf 
Ruben Tejada, 2b 
Curtis Granderson, rf 
Ike Davis, 1b 
Josh Satin, 3b 
Lucas Duda, dh 
Wilmer Flores, 2b 
Travis d'Arnaud , c 
Juan Lagares, cf 

Rafael Montero, rhp 

Also scheduled to pitch: Jacob deGrom, Logan Verrett, Miguel Socolovich, Adam Kolarek,Gonzalez Germen and Jeff Walters

Game will be on SNY at 1pm and WOR on the radio.  B ) 

Edited by nmigliore

Good early news for Syndergaard...he struck out five in two innings of intrasquad work...of course, the Mets are very good at striking out.  But he earned a lot of raves from everyone who saw him.  Articles are already being written about how the Mets should just let him start the season with the big boys if he excels during spring training, but it's fair to say that 1) we have to see that actually happen, and 2) even if it does, the Mets are probably more interested in saving every last penny than in really trying to win 90 games in 2014.  But I'll always hate that Met pitching hopefuls have to pitch in Vegas and PCL hell before coming here. 

Doofus and Davis in the same lineup...yep, Mets baseball is back indeed, lol.  I know this means nothing, but I'm glad to see EY isn't in the lineup while Lagares is. 

Good early news for Syndergaard...he struck out five in two innings of intrasquad work...of course, the Mets are very good at striking out.  But he earned a lot of raves from everyone who saw him.  Articles are already being written about how the Mets should just let him start the season with the big boys if he excels during spring training, but it's fair to say that 1) we have to see that actually happen, and 2) even if it does, the Mets are probably more interested in saving every last penny than in really trying to win 90 games in 2014.  But I'll always hate that Met pitching hopefuls have to pitch in Vegas and PCL hell before coming here. 

Doofus and Davis in the same lineup...yep, Mets baseball is back indeed, lol.  I know this means nothing, but I'm glad to see EY isn't in the lineup while Lagares is. 

To be clear, EY Jr. is hurt and could miss the weekend games.

On when Young might play in a game, the manager said: "I asked about Saturday. They actually want to see him on a field a couple of days before we put him in a game. So Sunday would be the earliest, probably. And, if not, Monday or Tuesday." 
Edited by nmigliore

To be clear, EY Jr. is hurt and could miss the weekend games.

Didn't know about that, thanks. 

I don't want to sound jerky but if there are a few players in camp I will be rooting against it's EY Jr., Dice-K, and Lannan. Want nothing to do with these guys in key roles. 

#LagaresForCF

#MejiaFor5thStarter

Not jerky at all.  We've been through why Dice-K and Lannan make no sense and why we don't need to see them here, but with the Super Two crap, we know one of them probably gets to keep a seat warm.  But they are what they are.   

As for EY, everyone knows he sucks except for the Mets.  They'll learn it the hard way this year (though they saw it first-hand for 2.5 months last season...I'm still stunned how they could be oblivious to that).   

Some stuff about Wheeler and Syndergaard:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1973854-why-noah-syndergaard-will-be-better-than-zack-wheeler-for-the-new-york-mets#articles/1973854-why-noah-syndergaard-will-be-better-than-zack-wheeler-for-the-new-york-mets

Though Syndergaard is a guy that is very easy to get excited about, for obvious reasons, the fact remains that he still hasn't pitched above AA yet.  And even though Wheeler is still a work in progress who definitely enjoyed some tremendous luck last season, he did have some success at the major-league level...lots of "can't miss" prospects who can't say the same.  He also showed some progress in that he had a nice stretch of not walking guys (though he regressed at the end of the season), and cut down on the number of HRs allowed (only one in his last seven starts).  Hopefully Zack can now start to economize his pitches and get through ABs more quickly...even though he struck out 84 in 100 IP, it felt like hitters were able to foul off a lot of pitches and find ways to extend ABs against him. 

I'm probably putting way too much into his first 100 MLB innings, but Wheeler's strikeout, walk, and groundball rates were all below average last season, which gives me a bad vibe. Then again, when I compared similar rookie seasons for age-23 pitchers, David Price's 2009 season came up, so who really knows. I think fans need to have realistic expectations with him. He's obviously not going to be anything close to what Harvey was last season and the control figures to be problematic, until proven otherwise. If he can just be league average over 180 innings this season, I would call it a success.

I'm trying to tempt my excitement with Syndergaard because, well, he's a pitcher, but it's not easy when you get reports like yesterday. With that said, I have no doubt he should head to Las Vegas, even though the environment sucks. Even with a prospect like Syndergaard, skipping completely over AAA isn't the norm. Baseball America noted in their scouting report he needs some more minor league seasoning to improve his secondary pitches, as right now they are more average than plus.

One underrated arm in the Mets' system, and I know I mentioned him quite a few times in 2013, is LHP Steven Matz, who can ride his fastball into the mid-90's. He was our top pick in 2009 but was set back by TJS and just reached full season ball last season in Savannah (low Class A), where he was quite dominant and ranked among the SAL's Top 20 prospects in what was a loaded class for that particular league. He was added to the 40-man this winter in order to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft (he'd 100% have been taken). That factor alone could accelerate his timeline to the Majors, but he'll likely be in St. Lucie's rotation to start this season, along with other intriguing sleeper pitching prospects like Gabriel Ynoa, Luis Cessa, and Michael Fulmer. 

@AdamRubinESPN: Already have spoken to one official this morning who said Steven Matz was as impressive as Syndergaard Thursday. 94-96 mph with solid slider"

Edited by nmigliore

re:  Wheeler, he did have 84 K in 100 IP...that's pretty good.  BBs are concerning (especially since he's had this problem throughout his professional career).  I agree, anyone who think Matt Harvey the sequel is coming this season is going to be disappointed.  I think from Wheeler, like you said, you hope for 180 innings or so (think that's his cap this year, not sure), and you hope to see improvement in the rates.  Ironically, he may improve without it showing up in some of his more traditional numbers, but as it's been pointed out many times, some of Zack's numbers from last season were built on tremendously good luck.   

Matz is a little bit old, but hardly ancient at 22 (he'll be 23 at the end of May).  Maybe this is a fast-track kind of season for him, where he sees a AAA start or two by the end of the year.  We'll know soon enough. 

re:  Wheeler, he did have 84 K in 100 IP...that's pretty good.   

To be fair, the individual number isn't as telling as the rate stat itself, and strikeout rates around baseball are rising. His strikeout percentage, which measure strikeouts per batter faced (per inning is a bit flawed), was 19.5%, which was a tick below the MLB average of 19.9%. So his strikeout rate wasn't awful, but still just a bit below average, which was worse than I expected it to be (the walks were not surprising). 

Edited by nmigliore

To be fair, the individual number isn't as telling as the rate stat itself. His strikeout percentage, which measure strikeouts per batter faced (per inning is a bit flawed), was 19.5%, which was a tick below the MLB average of 19.9%. So his strikeout rate wasn't awful, but still just a bit below average, and honestly worse than I expected it to be (the walks were not surprising). 

I know...he gave up a lot of baserunners...it's a lot more impressive to have 84 K in 100 IP when you're only allowing 80 hits and 30 walks as opposed to 90 hits and 46 walks.  I'm taking his rookie status into account.  He definitely wasn't dominating from a "swing and miss" standpoint...like we've all noted, batters were able to prolong plate appearances against him for that very reason. 

Love me some Rafael Montero. Kid has no fear of pounding the strikezone.

How did he do?  I can't find a box score in progress.  0-0 so far in the 4th.

Great for deGrom.  Anything that makes compelling cases for keeping Dice-K and Lannan from taking up rotation spots for any length of time is a great great bonus.

Farnsworth is sitting in the low-80s with his fastball. That ain't good.

Especially since his fastball is about all he's got.

The #MatzMovement continues...

Scout at game today says Steven Matz should skip Florida State League and just be assigned right to Double-A Binghamton.

Matz was hitting 95-97 mph today. The LI kid has looked awfully good.

Edited by nmigliore

Nice.  Maybe Matz sniffs AAA by season's end.  Let's face it, Mets aren't going to have all of these young arms pitching as Mets.  Some of them are going to be dealt for other needs.  Even lazy GMs like Sandy should be able to turn a good young arm or two into something helpful. 

I'm kinda shocked this hasn't got more run here: 

@@MarcCarig

[Matsuzaka] and Lannan would probably be the two leading guys right now.” - Terry Collins on the 5th starter race.

The Mets could've gotten away with this kind of thinking if Passive hadn't made his stupid 90-win proclamation.  But there's clearly guys who are better (or at the very least have far better upside) than Dice K and Lannan.  If you're really that serious about 90 wins, you go with the guys who give you the best chance to do that.  You go sign a guy like Drew.  You don't send better guys down because you're worried about saving pennies.  And you don't have the friggin' 23rd-ranked payroll in MLB either. 

The Mets are thinking like a sub-80 win team, and like I said, if Freddy hadn't said "They better win 90", I wouldn't have much problem with it.  But as usual, Freddy and Sandy and Jeffy think their fanbase is a bunch of morons.