The Race For 6th Thread

Triumph

The races are still good because the teams trying to catch the others have the tie-breakers (Washington over Florida, Ottawa over NJ). Even with only a few games left, it's not unlikely for one team to go 1-2 and the other to go 3-0 and move up. Especially since Washington/Florida and Ottawa/NJ still have head to head matchups.

Strange situation tonight - If Boston wins in OT, the Rangers clinch 1st and Boston clinches 2nd.

And now Clemmensen gives up a goal, tied 1-1 in the third.

Edited by Z-Man

Dude, what? The Devils are way more likely to play Florida than they are to play the Caps. 2 points up with a game in hand is a large lead when there are only 3 games remaining. And that's not even taking into account that Florida, as I write this, is ahead by 1 in their game today.

Not such a huge lead when one of those three games is a four-pointer in Washington Thursday. Getting at least one out of today was BIG for them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not such a huge lead when one of those three games is a four-pointer in Washington Thursday. Getting at least one out of today was BIG for them.

Except that these games aren't automatic four-point swingers anymore, with these charity points.

Except that these games aren't automatic four-point swingers anymore, with these charity points.

Right, and that's why Z-Man's point isn't that relevant either. The Devils, for instance, have played 79 games and have gotten points out of 51 of them. The Panthers have played 79 games and have gotten points out of 54. It's obviously possible to go 0-3, but it is not easy in a low scoring, low power play NHL.

Ottawa winning is only good for NJ. They have done a good job keeping he pressure on and forcing NJ to make the last few games very meaningful. If they kept losing, it be very easy for this team to get very complacent regardless what the coaches kept hammering home. It be easy to take the foot of the pedal. Here, the standings are the message: win or you'll play a team that kicked your butt all year.

I agree with this...it'd be just fine with me if Games 1-81 were meaningful and Game 82 wasn't...our top players could use some extra rest before the playoffs.

Okay - like MadDog2020 noted, Boston clinched 2nd overall.

Race for 6th:

Team PTS GR

5. Flyers 101 3

6. Devils 96 3

7. Sens 92 3

Flyers clinch at least 5th place if they get a single point or the Devils fail to get a single possible point.

Devils clinch 6th place with a win and a Senators loss before their matchup on Saturday.

Race for the Southeast Division:

1. Panthers 91 3

2. Capitals 88 3

Panthers clinch with a win and a Capitals loss.

SportsClubStats numbers on the situation -

Devils:

5th: 1%

6th: 90%

7th: 9%

Panthers:

3rd: 86%

8th: 13%

Okay - like MadDog2020 noted, Boston clinched 2nd overall.

Race for 6th:

Team PTS GR

5. Flyers 101 3

6. Devils 96 3

7. Sens 92 3

Flyers clinch at least 5th place if they get a single point or the Devils fail to get a single possible point.

Devils clinch 6th place with a win and a Senators loss before their matchup on Saturday.

Race for the Southeast Division:

1. Panthers 91 3

2. Capitals 88 3

Panthers clinch with a win and a Capitals loss.

SportsClubStats numbers on the situation -

Devils:

5th: 1%

6th: 90%

7th: 9%

Panthers:

3rd: 86%

8th: 13%

The caps are playing Against Tampa and a regulation loss by the Caps will get us bumped up.

damn it looks more and more like our last game against the sens could be the deciding game on who's ending up 6th

both teams have 2 games remaining before the final match up

NJ against Islanders and Detroit

Ottawa against Carolina and Boston

would be an incredible relief if the Sens could lose their game against carolina

damn it looks more and more like our last game against the sens could be the deciding game on who's ending up 6th

both teams have 2 games remaining before the final match up

NJ against Islanders and Detroit

Ottawa against Carolina and Boston

would be an incredible relief if the Sens could lose their game against carolina

Odds are, some combination of 3 points will clinch us the 6th seed before that game.

FWIW, the Devils can 'only' play Florida/Washington, Boston or Pittsburgh in the first round at this point and Pittsburgh's a miniscule chance since the Flyers would have to lose three straight in regulation while we win three straight. No Rangers or Flyers in the first round.

Don't know why we're so pumped to play Florida. Our season series record is the same as our series records against Pitt, NYR and PHI: Tied. Only difference is that our record against FLA is 2-2 and not 3-3.

I hope the Devils don't have as much hubris as many on this board.

Don't know why we're so pumped to play Florida. Our season series record is the same as our series records against Pitt, NYR and PHI: Tied. Only difference is that our record against FLA is 2-2 and not 3-3.

Clearly this means those teams are all equally talented and will be just as difficult to play against in a seven game series then. Great point.

Also, have you herped my derp lately? I know I derped it around here somewhere.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

What a bailout by the Lightning. Thanks, guys.

RACE FOR 3rd:

Team Pts GR

3. Pnthrs 91 3

8. Captls 88 2

Florida clinches with 2 more points in their final 3 games. They are probably over 90% to win the division at this juncture.

If the Devils and Florida win tomorrow and Carolina beats Ottawa, a Devils-Florida matchup will be set.

Edited by MadDog2020

Except our record is only that good against the Pens cause they had no Crosby for the first few games and Marty had to have a couple of 40+ save games to win. Philly was 3-3 cause they bombed us with Bryz and stunk with Bob.

It's not a matter of we will win against the Panthers, at least not for me. It's a matter of survival, they're the only ones we're better than 50-50 to beat. We just weren't beating many other teams in the first round, maybe later after they get beat up a little but we have to get through the first round to get confidence against those teams.

Bottom line: If we can't beat the Panthers, we aren't beating anyone else either.

Edited by NJDevs4978