The Fans

95Crash

Besides the scoreboard this year, the Rangers are beating us at something else: cheering their own players.

Simply put, their fans do it, and we don't.

Why is it that our fan chants suck so bad? There's only so many times we can yell "Let's Go Devils" throughout a game before barely anyone pays attention to it. Same with "Rangers Suck."

:idea:

Whatever happened to the "MAR-TIN" (clap-clap), "MAR-TIN" (clap-clap) chants? He's only OUR BEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME. We used to do it a lot every time he made a big save in the mid- to late-90s. The end scoreboards at the old CAA even used to flash it on the screens when it was happening. And Brodeur used to look up at the fans and acknowledge it. It definitely inspired him to play some of his best games back then. Just like the Rangers fans' "HEN-RIK" chants most definitely inspire him.

But, THE ROCK IS OUR BUILDING!

MARTIN BRODEUR DESERVES TO HAVE HIS OWN NAME CHANTED BY HIS FANS!

I just think we gotta do more cheering of our own players instead of looking to ridicule the other team or answer the other team's chants -- like when we chant "Sucks" after the "Henrik" chants. (That's funny and all, but it doesn't help the Devils any.)

Why are we wasting our time looking to knock out their chants when we could be doing our own?

How about a "Johnnie Madden!" (clap-clap), "Johnnie Madden!" (clap-clap)?

Or maybe a steady "Zach!" ... "Zach!" ... "Zach!" ... "Zach!"

I'm sure someone could come up with lots of others.

To be fair, I've heard some pretty smart chants coming from our upper corners, like from sections 208 or 233. But the problem there is that those guys are stuck so far up in the corners, especially at the new arena, that the chants don't carry well throughout the rest of the arena. In the old CAA, while it was much more cavernous, at least the corner sections stretched down a little closer to the lower seats.

Maybe if a few games a year some of those guys could scatter around throught the arena a little, the chants would catch on more. Of course, then their seats would cost more. Maybe that's part of the problem. The people who seat in the expensive seats don't want to make as much noise. Actually, I know that's a big part of the problem.

But the Rangers fans who sit in the expensive seats don't seem to mind chanting and cheering, so who knows what the explanation is for why we don't.

:noclue:

All I know right now is, those Rangers fans seem to be having way too much fun. And it seems to be catching on with their players. And that sucks.

GO DEVILS.

:evil:

Edited by 95Crash

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game 1 was sickening enough listening to Marty being heckled in our house and Gomez chants ringing through the crowd. But again tonight to hear Marty getting the same treatment again at HOME made me want to puke in my mouth. It's absolutely disgusting and embarrassing.

Game 1 was sickening enough listening to Marty being heckled in our house and Gomez chants ringing through the crowd. But again tonight to hear Marty getting the same treatment again at HOME made me want to puke in my mouth. It's absolutely disgusting and embarrassing.
Edited by 95Crash

I feel the same as you. Brodeur shouldn't have to put up with that garbage in his own building.

That being said, I don't get why we never chant his name anymore after he makes a big save -- the way the Rangirls fans do with Henrik. I must chant Brodeur's name at least five or more times a game. But I'm just one person.

We really got to support our players better.

There was one sitting next to me wearing a Graves jersey that was 5 sizes to small. I asked him if he knew that the moth balls were starting to fall off it. He told me that he lived and died with the Rangers during the tough times. Little did he know his girlfriend told me when he went to the bathroom he just started following the Rangers 2 years ago and the Graves jersey was a hand me down from a friend. :giggle:

Thank you. Thank you for proving my point with a first hand account.

So you're sitting at home watching the games on MSG, where I don't DOUBT they fvck with the sound (there's games all year I KNOW we've been loud and all over the place and I go home and see the replay and we sound muted)... and then when a pro-Ranger chant hits... gee... the sound turns up... amazing coincidence!

Buy some tickets before you bitch out those who go to every game thank you!

I feel the same as you. Brodeur shouldn't have to put up with that garbage in his own building.

That being said, I don't get why we never chant his name anymore after he makes a big save -- the way the Rangirls fans do with Henrik. I must chant Brodeur's name at least five or more times a game. But I'm just one person.

We really got to support our players better.

Everytime Marty makes a great save I do hear the "Marty" chants coming from the upper corners. The whole arena needs to contribute. The lower level seems to be way too quiet at these games.

So you're sitting at home watching the games on MSG, where I don't DOUBT they fvck with the sound (there's games all year I KNOW we've been loud and all over the place and I go home and see the replay and we sound muted)... and then when a pro-Ranger chant hits... gee... the sound turns up... amazing coincidence!

I was thinking the same thing last night, it did sound fishy that within the first five minutes of the telecast there were super-loud 'Let's Go Rangers!' and 'Henry!' chants and a very muted 'Let's Go Devils!'.

But that's just par for the course for that network. I'm seriously muting the sound for Game 3 and turning the radio up and I am not a fan of the radio crew at all, if the Devils decide to make public where they're broadcasting the radio telecast anyway :P

Why this team reupped with MSG for a billion years is beyond me.

Edited by Hasan4978

I was at a Devs-Flyers game earlier in the season where we snuck down to the $200 seats. We had just scored 2 goals in like 30 seconds, so I turn around to slap the hand of the guy sitting behind me, and then I look, and see that the guy is wearing a SUIT AND TIE, and just looked at me awkwardly. We need to get those guys out of the lower sections, however the most loyal/loudest Devils fans can't afford to sit there.

however the most loyal/loudest Devils fans can't afford to sit there.

Not always true. I have season tickets down stairs and I'm as loud and loyal as they come. It is very hard to get chants going though in my section. I'm always trying to get a lets go devils chant going and people just don't want to chant but just because I can afford to sit down there doesn't mean I'm not loud and loyal.

Not always true. I have season tickets down stairs and I'm as loud and loyal as they come. It is very hard to get chants going though in my section. I'm always trying to get a lets go devils chant going and people just don't want to chant but just because I can afford to sit down there doesn't mean I'm not loud and loyal.

i'm right there with you. Actually, my section is pretty good, even the men dressed to the T are loud..when we score.

Our fan base has ALWAYS been quiet. No offense to the few loud guys in the lower level (Satans Hockey, langs15, etc.), but even back at CAA the lower levels have always been like a library. I remember sneaking down for some games at CAA only to sneak back up later on ... it was just too quiet and, honestly, not that much fun.

But it isn't just the lower levels. I sat in 215 last night, two rows from the top of the barn, and it was difficult to get Devils chants going all night. We're simply a quiet fan base. And it's pissed me off for years. Last night it was especially embarassing.

I said this a bunch of times: give the fans something to cheer about. Score goals, convert on your power plays, and stop acting like wusses and hit them hard when they hit you.

Exactly. When there is nothing to cheer for, What can you do? I know where I sit, in the black seats (Ice Lounge) There are a select few who are very loud. Its like Me and 5 other guys but no one really does much besides us. The people who make the most noise however is the younger guys and in the lower section they cant afford it. Guys in there late 30's can only make so much noise.

Exactly. When there is nothing to cheer for, What can you do? I know where I sit, in the black seats (Ice Lounge) There are a select few who are very loud. Its like Me and 5 other guys but no one really does much besides us. The people who make the most noise however is the younger guys and in the lower section they cant afford it. Guys in there late 30's can only make so much noise.

Sounds like me, but give me a 3-0 lead a some beer and I'll yell :koolaid: