• Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

Is that from the Colorado source?

Colorado source? Don't know what you're talking about. It's just how I see this playing out. Given how Bettman played it after the PA offers, both sides are going to make it look like they aren't interested in negotiating for a while.

Edited by Triumph

Colorado source? Don't know what you're talking about. It's just how I see this playing out. Given how Bettman played it after the PA offers, both sides are going to make it look like they aren't interested in negotiating for a while.

Avs beat writer who has been very good during this.

I just hope they do keep talking even if it is pointing fingers at least they would be talking if they back off I could see this being a long stand off. Don't want to lose another season!

Edited by Devs1965

I got the same feeling before they met Tri. The real hardball begins now

I think the hardball is done. Now it's just a question of, between the two offers, finding the common ground and reaching a compromise. But not before some additional posturing.

I just hope they do keep talking even if it is pointing fingers at least they would be talking if they back off I could see this being a long stand off. Don't want to lose another season!

I don't think it will be a lost season - the PA offer and NHL offer were way too close for that to happen.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a deal by December 1.

I think the hardball is done. Now it's just a question of, between the two offers, finding the common ground and reaching a compromise. But not before some additional posturing.

I don't think it will be a lost season - the PA offer and NHL offer were way too close for that to happen.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a deal by December 1.

Thanks Triumph for believing, there are so many saying so many different things I like hearing I will see my favorite sport this season. Im trying to stay upbeat, just that last round of negotiations (if you want to call it that ) was depressing.

i think they will try to talk again this week, at least the nhls side will try to get something to get a deal signed by oct 25 to start the season nov 2. If they fail to get a deal done by then I fear the nhl will slash games till jan and cancel the winter classic

They won't be doing that unless their strategy changes drastically. They want to save as much of the season as possible.

They should just all sit together at a table and bargain some stuff and get an idea of where the other side is going, there's no secret at this point.

Seriously its like a big game of Rock Paper Scissor, they take like 2 weeks to prepare their shot and make a decision and present their offer... then Boom! wouppp no deal, then go back home for another 2 weeks.

They should just all sit together at a table and bargain some stuff and get an idea of where the other side is going, there's no secret at this point.

Seriously its like a big game of Rock Paper Scissor, they take like 2 weeks to prepare their shot and make a decision and present their offer... then Boom! wouppp no deal, then go back home for another 2 weeks.

This is how the process has to be. There are plenty of secrets. They haven't negotiated on anything seriously besides the revenue split, so there's all those things left to be worked out. I bet there's no serious meetings this week as each side strategizes.

i think they will try to talk again this week, at least the nhls side will try to get something to get a deal signed by oct 25 to start the season nov 2. If they fail to get a deal done by then I fear the nhl will slash games till jan and cancel the winter classic

From everything I have been hearing I think there is a lot of money in the winter classic, the owners will try and start before that!

Is it wrong that I am feeling a bit apathetic towards this situation? Of course I miss Devils hockey and hate not having any NHL hockey to watch, but I can't help but feel a bit numb. When Fehr was hired I told myself this would be another lost season so in a way I've dealt with my anger and frustration over a lockout a while ago. I'll still be hoping that the lockout ends but I can't even get into following the daily or even weekly news reports like I did in the last lockout.

One thing that this lockout has reaffirmed for me is that my love for hockey is completely separate than any feelings for the NHL.

Is it wrong that I am feeling a bit apathetic towards this situation? Of course I miss Devils hockey and hate not having any NHL hockey to watch, but I can't help but feel a bit numb. When Fehr was hired I told myself this would be another lost season so in a way I've dealt with my anger and frustration over a lockout a while ago. I'll still be hoping that the lockout ends but I can't even get into following the daily or even weekly news reports like I did in the last lockout.

One thing that this lockout has reaffirmed for me is that my love for hockey is completely separate than any feelings for the NHL.

it's funny, but i feel the same way. really, i think it has to do with how last season ended. i don't think there's anyone that can honestly say last season wasn't a major success. It went about as long as it possibly could and gave us all just an incredible season to root for. at least for me, there was a feeling of satisfaction.

of course i'd love to be going to games and seeing the season start but i'm just really not thinking about it all that much. really, i don't find myself missing it.

Nope, I'm right there with you. Just don't care right now; it's just not worth getting upset over. I let myself get my hopes up last week for the first time since August with the NHL's offer, and got pissed off again as a result. So, I could officially give a sh!t as to which side wins, or when this thing ends. The last sentence of yours that I bolded sums up my situation perfectly.

RU football has helped keep me distracted though, admittedly.

Nope, I'm right there with you. Just don't care right now; it's just not worth getting upset over. I let myself get my hopes up last week for the first time since August with the NHL's offer, and got pissed off again as a result. So, I could officially give a sh!t as to which side wins, or when this thing ends. The last sentence of yours that I bolded sums up my situation perfectly.

RU football has helped keep me distracted though, admittedly.

I'm a little apathetic too. Probably has something to do with the sting of Parise leaving. It'll suck not to see him in the lineup.

I'm also saving a little bit of cash by not going to games. All in, I go to ten regular season games a year, usually at $80 a pop once incidentals are factored in. Figure the lockout will wipe out at least 10 home games, which will save me about $300.

My biggest fear though is that the Rangers are going to be better. No matter how bad things got for the Devils from the spate of first-round exits to the disastrous 2011 season, there was always another year that the Rangers didn't win the Cup.

http://www.nytimes.c...ref=sports&_r=0

Buoyed by Experience, Fehr Holds His Composure

"While baseball has had labor peace since 1996, Fehr has often spoken of a new 'playbook' for other sports leagues, in which they impose salary caps and lock out players to force them to accept pay cuts. The N.F.L. and N.B.A. lockouts of 2011 reduced players’ shares of revenue in those sports to about 50 percent, and Bettman has frequently cited that as a main rationale for the current N.H.L. lockout.

"Fehr said 'the same people' are behind these tactics 'regardless of the sport' — a reference to the Proskauer Rose law firm, which represents the N.H.L., the N.F.L., the N.B.A. and Major League Baseball in labor negotiations. Bettman worked there as a lawyer in the 1970s.

"Bob Batterman, a top Proskauer Rose lawyer who works closely with the N.H.L. and the N.F.L., said in January that 'the pendulum has swung too far toward the employees' and that 'employers are using lockouts because unions are reluctant to do what the employers consider reasonable.'

"Fehr said: 'He’s obviously right that employers are using the lockout more often. Bob has been the architect of a whole host of those.'"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/22/sports/hockey/donald-fehr-holds-tight-to-his-composure-and-his-principles.html?ref=sports&_r=0

It's just posturing. I expect there to be more urgency tomorrow or Wednesday

I doubt anything happens this week. And the NHL is going to pretend that that last offer was a 'final offer' - if they make another formal offer, it might back off the previous one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.