Golf.

TrentonDevils

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it hit a couple of fairways and a green or two, my iron play was horrific. Saw parts of the rough I am sure no human has ever tread on.

They don't normally keep the rough too thick for the public right? How fast were the greens? Well it beat work anyway!

They don't normally keep the rough too thick for the public right? How fast were the greens? Well it beat work anyway!

Rough - and I saw alot of it - not bad, no worse then any course that has 'rough'. Greens putted very fast, rolled incredibly true - hardest part was getting shots to stay on the green. Before I played I read that is is the toughest course from 40 yards in, I'd say that was dead on; when a chip held you felt like you accomplished something!

Rough - and I saw alot of it - not bad, no worse then any course that has 'rough'. Greens putted very fast, rolled incredibly true - hardest part was getting shots to stay on the green. Before I played I read that is is the toughest course from 40 yards in, I'd say that was dead on; when a chip held you felt like you accomplished something!

Sounds tough! I can't spin the ball (who can?) but what i've found to be useful is the lob and sand wedge. I generally use them for going over stuff, but in the situation you described it seems like going up and landingstraight down would work. I know pinehurst has greens that are domed so maybe it wouldn't work... thoughts?

Sounds tough! I can't spin the ball (who can?) but what i've found to be useful is the lob and sand wedge. I generally use them for going over stuff, but in the situation you described it seems like going up and landingstraight down would work. I know pinehurst has greens that are domed so maybe it wouldn't work... thoughts?

Once I sort of figured out the speed I putted from anything close. Some wedges I hit that I thought looked good ended up in collection areas. I just aimed for the middle of the green, was putting OK so I figured once I got there that 90% of the battle was over. I don't have enough confidence in my SW to swing hard and let it just deop but I bet a better player would have found it useful.

Once I sort of figured out the speed I putted from anything close. Some wedges I hit that I thought looked good ended up in collection areas. I just aimed for the middle of the green, was putting OK so I figured once I got there that 90% of the battle was over. I don't have enough confidence in my SW to swing hard and let it just deop but I bet a better player would have found it useful.

You definitely have to commit to the shot (swing) when trying to lob it up there. I usually use the sw from around 75 to 40 yds then go to the 60 degree from there in. It gets a little dicey when i have a tight lie cause i have normal bounce on my wedges, i just recently bought the whole set of jesse ortiz wedges and have been really happy with them! I got a 4 day weekend coming up..trying to decide wether to go down to AC to play or stay around the house, maybe play Rutgers before it gets too cold.

You definitely have to commit to the shot (swing) when trying to lob it up there. I usually use the sw from around 75 to 40 yds then go to the 60 degree from there in. It gets a little dicey when i have a tight lie cause i have normal bounce on my wedges, i just recently bought the whole set of jesse ortiz wedges and have been really happy with them! I got a 4 day weekend coming up..trying to decide wether to go down to AC to play or stay around the house, maybe play Rutgers before it gets too cold.

I've played a bunch of courses around AC, pretty reasonable. I've got a 3 oclock tee time today if it would only clear up... looking like cart path only today

I've played a bunch of courses around AC, pretty reasonable. I've got a 3 oclock tee time today if it would only clear up... looking like cart path only today

We played in Myrtle beach this past March, always have a good time there! If i remember right we played at Heron Point,Indigo Creek,Woodland Valley and, the new name escapes me, but it used to be aberdeen.... i think i like Woodland Valley the best but they all were better than what was available in March for jersey, lol

• 4 weeks later...

so i read through the first couple pages from 2 years ago and grew tired of the debate on whether or not golf was a sport.

anyway, i started playing golf about 3 years ago and i'm definitely hooked. shot an 86 over the summer at some dog track in lake george (queensbury cc i think) but i typically shoot in the high 90s. i live in bergen county (2 minutes from Overpeck) but the county courses around here are tough to get on so i played a bunch in rockland lakes up in congers, ny.

so i read through the first couple pages from 2 years ago and grew tired of the debate on whether or not golf was a sport.

anyway, i started playing golf about 3 years ago and i'm definitely hooked. shot an 86 over the summer at some dog track in lake george (queensbury cc i think) but i typically shoot in the high 90s. i live in bergen county (2 minutes from Overpeck) but the county courses around here are tough to get on so i played a bunch in rockland lakes up in congers, ny.

It's definitely a sport esp when alcohol in involved.

I don't care if you shoot a 70 or 100, if you are playing with 3 good guys and the weather is nice then it is a great 4 hours. Alcohol makes the 100 seem like an 80.

I just played 18 in a tropical depression with three great guys. Vicodin and crown royal kept us dry... or kept us from caring. Have never played 18 holes in constant rain and I've done it twice in a week, know the weather is about to turn so trying to get in rounds whenever I can.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great Story of sportmanship.

article

This was actually the raging debate on Mike & Mike this morning. Some people think it's noble and the right thing to do, others say it's an embarassment to the game its competitors. Personally I would rather believe that I won the playoff than have it be so obvious that my opponent threw the game for my sake. Maybe if the guy had just hit his approach to the side of the green, came up with a bad chip, and then two or three-putted, it wouldn't have been so clear.

• 2 months later...

I've played more golf in the last 5 weeks than I had in the previous 4 years so you can say I've caught the illness.

Played Eisenhower in Crownsville, MD back in June and duffed it around. What killed me was my putting.

Last week played Eagle Ridge in Lakewood, NJ and played okay on the front 9 but completely duffed on their new 9-hole linx course which we played after the turn. It was quite fitting that you could see the old blimp hangers at NAS Lakehurst from 3 of the holes because my game went down like the Hindenberg.

On Thursday played Eisenhower again in 100 degree heat. Course was waterlogged from recent heavy rain meaning cart paths only and hoofing it most of the course. To my suprise my irons and short game came alive and its looking like playing multiple times is giving me improvement.

Looking to play again in 2 weeks.

I've also been playing an inordinate amount, so I too have the bug. I'm upset, though. 2 weeks ago I was a 12 handicap, which for someone who played once a month previous to this summer was pretty solid. So I went out with my grandfather to Shark River and shot a 79, playing the best golf of my life. He shot an 83, but was overly impressed with my game. He said there were a few things I could "do" to my swing to make my more consistant (I thought shooting 7 over was pretty damn good), so he took my to a range to "try" those things out. It screwed something up, I don't know what, and it's ruined my golf game. I went out with some friends and tried to "go back" to my old swing, and nothing would take. I shot a 102 at the same course I had just shot 79, and that was only because my short-game was incredible. I couldn't hit the ball anywhere with any consistency. Help?

I litterally grew-up in the Hills neighborhood across Route 18 from Shark River GC. I've never played the course because I didn't start playing golf until I moved to New England in 1993. I'm looking at playing Charleston Springs and a course down in Somers Point the next time I'm coming up to the shore in 2 weeks.