2013 Miami Dolphins Thread

Daniel

That was a team penalty, the league itself can't come down on him really, because of it.

He was already suspended for half the season, but I don't recall how many games were without pay. Considering that Rothkeisberger got the same amount for suspicions of raping someone, i think time served is appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@alexmarvez: Surprising to me after Wells Report release: All signs point toward embattled Dolphins o-line coach Jim Turner accompanying team to #Combine Posted Image

I'm just annoyed because he did an awful job last year. The player he supposedly harassed has said in no uncertain terms that he had no problem with Turner.

I'm just annoyed because he did an awful job last year. The player he supposedly harassed has said in no uncertain terms that he had no problem with Turner.

They hired John Benton, an accomplished o-line coach, to be the assistant o-line coach- a job he's clearly overqualified for. The o-line was a clusterfvck in franchise record proportions last year. Then the Wells report. There is no reason that Jim Turner should be employed by the Miami Dolphins one day longer. The organization will be embarrassing itself even further (which is incredibly hard to do at this point, but this would do it) if they don't sh!tcan this guy-- not to mention the PR nightmare. Just fire him.

They hired John Benton, an accomplished o-line coach, to be the assistant o-line coach- a job he's clearly overqualified for. The o-line was a clusterfvck in franchise record proportions last year. Then the Wells report. There is no reason that Jim Turner should be employed by the Miami Dolphins one day longer. The organization will be embarrassing itself even further (which is incredibly hard to do at this point, but this would do it) if they don't sh!tcan this guy-- not to mention the PR nightmare. Just fire him.

Like I said, I think he should be gone based on the performance of the O-line last year.  But if anything the Wells report unfairly insinuated he was complicit in some systematic "bullying", which just isn't the case unless you believe McDonald is lying.

I think it also shows that Philbin's loyalty has gone too far.  He had to go kicking and screaming to agree to have Sherman fired.  Now you have a guy that they can't cut ties with who was responsible for arguably the worst offensive line in the league, and which hampered the performance of your supposed franchise quarterback. 

I would argue my OL is worse than yours. I have no idea how Castillo still has a job

Statistically, I think ours was worse if you go on sacks and rushing yards. Although the sacks are probably just as much a product of Tannehill being unable to be elusive in the pocket or feel the pressure. The O-line improved somewhat towards the end of the year. Bullying or no bullying Martin was just terrible.

But you're right, I really have no idea what the offensive line coach really does other than yell "block better", and if the fault lies on Turner at all. But as Maddog pointed out, they already brought in a new guy that shouldn't really be an "assistant". And if Turner had any say in evaluating draft talent, he's done a pretty bad job at that.

Now the long time trainer has been fired. He was mentioned in the Wells report about laughing at a racial joke and not saying anything, so I assume that's the reason why.

Turner still employed, but the trainer fired? The organization's response has been downright bizarre.

Edited by Daniel

O'Neill didn't cooperate with the investigation and laughed along with the other idiots, no surprise he's gone.

The guy laughed at a joke and wouldn't cooperate with a witchhunt commenced by politically correct half-wits. At least the second part would cause me to keep him. But what do I know, I've never had the opportunity to seriously screw up an NFL franchise.

Philbin going to speak tomorrow. The gotcha questions are going to nauseating. You're already starting to hear these d-bag reporters claim they have some all important right to put a football coach in the star chamber.

Ugh, this whole thing is going to make the hot stove so unenjoyable. I just want to be entertained by the draft and free agency, but all we're going to hear are self righteous media types talk about teachable moments and other such nonsense.

The only thing that will make this any worse if Martin is back with the team. At that point you know Ross isn't serious about winning football games. I'll also remember it when I start complaining if Lou gives Gionta a loyalty contract.

Some people clearly miffed by the O'Neill firing, one of whom is Jimmy Johnson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/jimmy-johnson-sounds-off-on-firing-of-kevin-oneill/

Miko Grimes was her usually colorful self:

Miko Grimes @iHeartMiko 11h

#Overheard: "An 18yr career with the Dolphins, down the drain. Why? Bc some dude didnt want anyone to know he had a pants."

I've read that O'Neill was considered one of, if not the most respected trainers in the league amongst his peers.  The lawyers win again.

EDIT:  Autocorrect cleaned up Miko's tweet, but hopefully you'll get the idea

Edited by Daniel

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/press-releases/article-1/PRESS-RELEASE-Miami-Dolphins-Make-Organizational-Changes/8a0960fb-e90f-4b0d-893d-ecd15bc70753

The language and behavior as described in the Ted Wells report are against the core values of our organization. After receiving the report, I conducted my own internal review of the facts to determine the appropriate steps for our organization moving forward. Jim Turner and Kevin O'Neill are good people, but both exhibited poor judgment at times which led me to this conclusion. As owner, I know firsthand of the high-character and dedicated professionals in our building. I believe in our team and know the hard work and sacrifices they make every day on the field and in the community. However, this is an opportunity and a teaching moment not only for the coaches, staff and players in our locker room, but also for participants throughout sports. I am in constant contact with Jonathan Martin, and we plan to meet soon. Next week, I will provide further details of our partnership with the NYU School of Law and the NYU Center for Sports and Society regarding a broader effort to address conduct in sports. My commitment to our fans, coaches, players and staff is that we will be a stronger organization going forward.”  -- Stephen Ross.

..first domino(s) have fallen. Next up: Pouncey. Stay tuned.

Can't provide the links, but apparently O'Neill did express some concerns to upper management, although not Philbin, about what he noticed.  He also told Wells that he did not want answer questions because he didn't want to lose the trust of other players, and that trust is absolutely necessary for a trainer to do his job.  There are also reports that when he was fired -- I think Dawn Aponte was the one that broke the news to him -- he was asked if he had anything to say, to which his response was "you'll be hearing from my lawyers" or something to that effect.  Yes, it's hearsay, but so is virtually everything about this case.

The more and more I read about this, the more disgusted I am getting with Ross and Aponte.  I understand that they had to do damage control when it first broke, and I have no problem with them cutting ties with Incognito, and even letting him be the fall guy, because he largely deserves it.  But in the end, and what no one is even disputing, including the Wells report, is that Martin was uniquely sensitive by NFL standards.  Yes, what Incognito did would intimidate a lot of people in virtually every other work environment, but an NFL locker room is not the same.  And unfortunately, it looks very much like Ross is going to take the advice of people that are saying that it is.  I am extremely worried that the players will believe that Ross will do anything to save his own ass in polite society and will throw them under the bus if necessary.  It's much more plausible than other players -- especially free agent veterans that can choose where they get to play -- will be more afraid of that than being "bullied" by anyone. 

Just think about it.  A trainer that had been with the team for 18 years that every other player liked and was highly respected around the league was unceremoniously fired, because the team's owner did not back him up against claims that he laughed at a racial joke (which is nothing worse than you used to hear and laugh at on Howard Stern every day) and that he didn't want to talk in great detail with some grand inquisitor because he didn't want to lose the trust of the players (or, you could say, patients).  If I'm a player, I'm thinking the second I get accused of something, upper management will not have my back. 

And if Martin comes back, it won't be the "final straw", but I will have very little interest in watching Dolphins games anymore until they actually prove they can win consistently.  Woody Johnson gets a lot of crap from fans and media types, but, at bottom, the most important thing to him putting a winning team on the field, even if perhaps he's not that good at it.  Ross is starting to look like he's more concerned with irrelevancies such as team culture and political correctness.  That makes for a bland company that sells widgets, not a football team.

Stephen Ross is a disgrace as an NFL owner. A disgrace. I want to put his teeth down his throat.

Yes, but not a disgrace for the reason that the talking heads are saying. 

I just want to add though, that I'll ultimately take a wait and see attitude with how everything turns out.  If the team otherwise weathers the storm, politely cuts ties with Martin, and looks like it's growing some spine, I may end up forgiving Ross for some of his past transgressions. 

Yes, but not a disgrace for the reason that the talking heads are saying.

I just want to add though, that I'll ultimately take a wait and see attitude with how everything turns out. If the team otherwise weathers the storm, politely cuts ties with Martin, and looks like it's growing some spine, I may end up forgiving Ross for some of his past transgressions.

I'll begin to forgive Ross when he shows a shred of competence in his role as owner and this fvcking franchise actually starts WINNING with some semblance of regularity. And not before that.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is banging Aponte. That bitch has too much power for a 'capologist'.