Can hockey fans ice skate?

madams9

speaking of knowing how to skate, would you guys be interested in playing roller hockey come spring time? I used to play on Milltown Rd in Somerville, but my friends often play somewhere in Manalapan/freehold area where they have two rinks. Both are open for first come first serve unless there's a league going on, but we used to play early Saturday mornings @ 8 or 9am and no one is there.

Just gauging interest and maybe we can start a thread if ppl are interested.

when i lived in chicago, pond hockey/frozen tennis courts were everywhere you went out in the suburbs. was fantastic.

FROZEN TENNIS COURTS!!! That's where I learned to skate when I was 3-4. Stupid lawyers got involved in the early 90's and now they don't freeze them anymore...

I play in a roller league, and play a little bit of pond hockey on those few occasions when it gets cold enough for long enough down here.

My wife can skate, and my son is three and we're currently working on it. He got a tiny little pair of Easton hockey skates for Christmas when he was two, and we've been taking him sporadically ever since.

Bringing this thread back just to vent, played for the first time in a little while today and snapped my favorite stick in two with a slap shot from the blue line.

I've had that damn stick for two plus years and it finally gave out today. :evilcry::argh::evilcry:

that is all...

That would kill me! My favorite stick is one of Tommy Albelin's old AK-27s that I got at the equipment sale, and I love that its a great stick but also one of Tommy's.

Every time I see this thread come up I feel like posting: NO, hockey fans are NOT permitted to ice skate :angry:

Ah that reminds me of my teachers in elementary school who always said "I don't know, can you?" when someone asked "Can I go to the bathroom?"

I always felt awkward saying "May I go to the bathroom?"

speaking of knowing how to skate, would you guys be interested in playing roller hockey come spring time? I used to play on Milltown Rd in Somerville, but my friends often play somewhere in Manalapan/freehold area where they have two rinks. Both are open for first come first serve unless there's a league going on, but we used to play early Saturday mornings @ 8 or 9am and no one is there.

Just gauging interest and maybe we can start a thread if ppl are interested.

i'd definitely be interested, just would have to figure out how to get there and how long it'd take me and such. but i'd be interested nontheless

I played Hockey all my life , just wasn't very good :)

I played with and against some decent players that had a cup of coffee in the NHL:

Chris Mason

Jeff Shantz

Paxton Schafer

Mark Polak

Jason Prosofski

Seen some others who are younger than me make it to the NHL that were HORRIBLE and at the time thought there was no way in hell they are good enough to make it.

Travis Moen is one. There were alot of other guys who were 10 times better , just didn't have the right tools / size / some people just get a lucky break and are at the right place at the right time.

Went to hockey school every summer in BC. Ryan Smyth went to the same one every year too. Once again , back then he wasnt anything amazing at the time.

Currently Blaine Lacher plays in same Beer league team as I do lol.

Edited by Egg

Dude, watching little kids play hockey is awesome. Here is a video of my gf's son (#28) scoring a sweet goal. He's 8.

The crazy dude yelling is not me. I promise.

Haha that is awesome.

I love his casual skate back down the ice after the goal.

In other news i am back from Germany.

We didn't get the results we wanted but we certainly werent embarased like we were during the first trip. We lost both games, 6-2 and 5-4. I played well in both games (mainly because i tried to be as professional as possible, with no drinking the whole week before, training, trying to get pre game sleep etc).

Our coach said i had some serious wheels in both games which was pleasing since i have been working so hard on my fitness.

All in all we had an awesome time, we went to see the Cologne Sharks (Kolner Haie) play the Mannheim Eagles, and it was possibly the best hockey match i have ever seen live. Premier games have been fun , but will limited atmosphere. This was all out mental, it was like being at a football game.

Chants, flags, sparklers beer in litre glasses, it was so much fun. The game finnished 6-4 to Colonge. Matt Pettinger was playing for the sharks as well as Philip Gogulla. Nikos Dimitrakos Steve Reinprecht and a few other ex NHLers were playing.

All in all good times.

Cologne and Mannheim have a great rivalry, very traditional, so games like this are always pretty close and emotional. I'm glad you liked it, even though you went to see the very wrong team play, and much worse - tried the worst beer germany has to offer! ;) Have fun with carnival going on! Did you stand in between the fans or did you happen to have seats in lanxess arena? (Germany's and europe's biggest hockey arena with 18´500 people capacity)

Thanks for the update Chi! I was wondering :evil: Sounds like a great trip!

You are welcome :RD:

Cologne and Mannheim have a great rivalry, very traditional, so games like this are always pretty close and emotional. I'm glad you liked it, even though you went to see the very wrong team play, and much worse - tried the worst beer germany has to offer! ;) Have fun with carnival going on! Did you stand in between the fans or did you happen to have seats in lanxess arena? (Germany's and europe's biggest hockey arena with 18´500 people capacity)

:lol:

The sharks were fun to watch, they aren't a great team , but the try hard.

Carnival was strange, seeing hundreds of people in fancy dress when you a pretty wasted is a confusing sight to say the least. But it was really good.

We had seats quite high up, would have loved to have gone in the standing only sections behind the goals (P.S. Supporters section people, the Germans now how to do it. They had a whole section of area at both ends behind the goal, which went from the glass back to the bottom of the lower bowl.)

Well, they were a good team. 8 stars on their jerseys symbolize 8 championships, highest in the league. Luckily for me, they are no longer, and just were about to fold two years ago! ;)

Standing sections on both ends of the lower bowl is not a usual thing. Normally you'll see one big section behind the goal where the home team attacks twice. But for lanxess arena this is not possible. Cologne is Carnivals Capital, so drunken people in fancy dresses by this time of year...well, a normal thing! :)

So back to topic now, and away from our little expansion to german hockey history! :D