Martin Brodeur still pondering trade from Devils this season

msweet

I really wonder if Lou does make a big splash if the 2015 1st rounder is involved because of the McDavid Sweepstakes. Should Lou even give that up and have 2 years in a row without a #1 pick? I doubt he would move that but you never know how desperate he is. This is not a team or fanbase that can handle a prolonged rebuild.

I really do think one of our young D is moving and I think it's going to be Gelinas.

A team that is not a playoff lock for next year should not trade its first round pick next year. The return would not be nearly enough for even a shot at drafting a potential generational talent.

Otherwise I don't see who would be a match if you're talking about one of the younger defensemen. Kadri perhaps. I would say perhaps Evander Kane, except Winnipeg probably isn't looking for another young defenseman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A team that is not a playoff lock for next year should not trade its first round pick next year. The return would not be nearly enough for even a shot at drafting a potential generational talent.

Otherwise I don't see who would be a match if you're talking about one of the younger defensemen. Kadri perhaps. I would say perhaps Evander Kane, except Winnipeg probably isn't looking for another young defenseman.

I agree with your first paragraph, but we are dealing with Lou here and might be forced to do something radical as like I said this team for various reasons cannot go through any sort of multi-year rebuild.

Honestly I really don't see much of a match either, but who knows.

I agree with your first paragraph, but we are dealing with Lou here and might be forced to do something radical as like I said this team for various reasons cannot go through any sort of multi-year rebuild.

Honestly I really don't see much of a match either, but who knows.

I would also add that I think Lou knows all about the pitfalls of trading a first rounder two years in the future. It basically won the Devils 2 Cups.

Some news I saw on pht: Elias rips into devils players who are tryna do it by them selves. Probably clowe, Ryder and Brunner.

Callahan wants 7 years around $42 mill and Girardi wants around $33 over six.

Send looking at a $400 million TV deal supposedly. That would bE good for them obviously

Edited by CarterforPresident

i agree with all of the above.

a lou type move would be to trade next years first for a first this year aaaaaaaaand theeeeeeeen

trade next, next years first for a first next year, heheh see what i did there.

Edited by lazer

I really wonder if Lou does make a big splash if the 2015 1st rounder is involved because of the McDavid Sweepstakes. Should Lou even give that up and have 2 years in a row without a #1 pick? I doubt he would move that but you never know how desperate he is. This is not a team or fanbase that can handle a prolonged rebuild.

I really do think one of our young D is moving and I think it's going to be Gelinas.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Gelinas. I know you have to give to get, but that kid has shown more offensive ability than any Devs defenseman since the Nieds/Rafalski days. His D will come around eventually, and then you'll really have something. I'd probably be comfortable moving Merrill to be honest.

Some news I saw on pht: Elias rips into devils players who are tryna do it by them selves. Probably clowe, Ryder and Brunner.

Callahan wants 7 years around $42 mill and Girardi wants around $33 over six.

Send looking at a $400 million TV deal supposedly. That would bE good for them obviously

Here is the Elias article which is by Chere so I'm more inclined to think Chere is just trying to stir up some drama.

But as he walked hurriedly to the team bus, Elias voiced his displeasure at the way one or two unnamed Devils deviated from the system and probably cost the team valuable points.

“We’ve got guys that want to do it by themselves out there. That’s all,” Elias told The Star-Ledger.

He was particularly angry about the power play, which went 0-for-4 against the Blues, but he was also seething about the selfish play in other situations.

“We have good enough players to win hockey games. We’ve done that in the past and in a lot of the 54 games we’ve played this year,” Elias pointed out, “but guys can’t do it by themselves. We have to play the way we played before.”

To speculate, I don't think he's talking about Ryder or Clowe. If I had to guess I'd think Brunner, Gelinas...maybe even Jagr since Chico mentioned how the two of them were having a really animated conversation during a tv timeout last night. Still, I think this is more Chere just stirring the pot.

I say...

JJ, Urbom/Fayne & Conditional pick for Stastney.  Condition if he resigns.

Young player, "prospect"/UFA D and pick for impending UFA.

Edit:  You know what, this would never work.  JJ is essentially worthless anywhere but here at this point.  It'd almost certainly have to be one of Merril or Gelinas and a pick going, at least.  Meh to that.

Edit 2:  Here's another idea..

JJ

Fayne

2014 3rd (conditional)

2015 1st

for

Stastney

2014 1st

This one obviously depends on how you think the Devils will do next year...if they tank and end up in the top 10 (or with the #1, God forbid) they surrender a good pick.  But, they get a pick this year.  Maybe Colorado bites on the gamble that the Devils will suck next year?

Edited by Devilsfan118

I say...

JJ, Urbom/Fayne & Conditional pick for Stastney. Condition if he resigns.

Young player, "prospect"/UFA D and pick for impending UFA.

Edit: You know what, this would never work. JJ is essentially worthless anywhere but here at this point. It'd almost certainly have to be one of Merril or Gelinas and a pick going, at least. Meh to that.

Edit 2: Here's another idea..

JJ

Fayne

2014 3rd (conditional)

2015 1st

for

Stastney

2014 1st

This one obviously depends on how you think the Devils will do next year...if they tank and end up in the top 10 (or with the #1, God forbid) they surrender a good pick. But, they get a pick this year. Maybe Colorado bites on the gamble that the Devils will suck next year?

Thr Avs could be a destination for Marty.

I'd love to get Stastny but I can't see the Avs moving him given their playoff position. If they did move him though, I'd suppose they'd want a young forward(s) and NHL ready D. Ignoring picks both ways, I guess something like Josefson/Loktionov + Boucher + Gelinas who could add some offense from their back end though he doesn't really offer much defensively. I don't think they'd have interest in Fayne given he's a UFA and I doubt the Devils would move Merrill or Larsson in a deal like that.

I don't think they'd want Brodeur either. Varlamov has been very good this year and Giguere has been about league average which is fine for a back up. I doubt they'd see Brodeur as an upgrade over Giguere.

Edited by thefiestygoat

How funny would that be though, Brodeur playing for Roy.

Feel like that could be a freakin sitcom

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Marty playing for Roy... and taking Giguere's job, getting a sliver of revenge for stealing his Conn Smythe. :P That would be fvcking batsh!t crazy bizzaro world.

How funny would that be though, Brodeur playing for Roy.

Feel like that could be a freakin sitcom

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The Avs have their veteran Cup winning backup in Giguere. So just a funny dream.

Brodeur is not an upgrade for any playoff team...at backup.

Edited by devilsrule33

Ok, repeat after me: there is no way in hell that Marty goes to Colorado. Zero chance. Now, if you were to say Montreal, then I'd say it's a possibility. But he is not going to Colorado.

To parrot on what devilsrule33 said, I don't think any playoff team would want Brodeur as a back up. Budaj has been doing a solid job as Montreal's back up this year and is signed thru next year. I don't think Montreal is a possibility at all at this point.

Ok, repeat after me: there is no way in hell that Marty goes to Colorado. Zero chance. Now, if you were to say Montreal, then I'd say it's a possibility. But he is not going to Colorado.

I love how people just assume it HAS to be Montreal. Given their backup situation and having a goalie that isn't being sat for Marty, I can only scoff at your statement. Giggy coming back would be a given. Marty's stickhandling would be an interesting addition for those Av forwards. The Avs have some parts they are looking to move. In today's league I see them as one of the most likely trading partners.(for any Devils trade) Also, you don't think Marty sees his BFF Clarkie nightmare decision to go to TOR? Montreal might be the last place he'd want to end up.

I love how people just assume it HAS to be Montreal. Given their backup situation and having a goalie that isn't being sat for Marty, I can only scoff at your statement. Giggy coming back would be a given. Marty's stickhandling would be an interesting addition for those Av forwards. The Avs have some parts they are looking to move. In today's league I see them as one of the most likely trading partners.(for any Devils trade) Also, you don't think Marty sees his BFF Clarkie nightmare decision to go to TOR? Montreal might be the last place he'd want to end up.

What value does Brodeur add to a team as a backup. If anything it is a distraction. It is a media circus. It makes things uncomfortable for a starting goalie looking over your shoulder and seeing one of the greatest of all time right behind you. Unless you are looking for a starting goalie (which playoff team is looking for that?), there is no point to look at Brodeur. Remember, Marty just wants to play. That's it. Why accept a trade to a situation where you know you are going to sit?

What does Montreal have to do with Clarkson? Price is their goalie and star. Brodeur going there again is an unnecessary distraction. If he was dealt to MTL, he sits on the bench.

Brodeur isn't looking to mentor any goalie. He isn't saying he wants to help a goalie (even if he did, how much help could he be). He just wants to play. I think he knows Cory is a much better goalie than he is at this point, but he is hoping somewhere else that isn't the case with whatever team's starting goalie. Maybe there is a team out there where the margin is small (I am thinking Philly), but is that really going to happen?

I'd trade him to St. Louis.  If I'm a Blues fan, I'd rather have Brodeur as the backup than Elliot.  St. Louis would be a perfect fit for him.  He'd have a great team in front of him, and would have a legit chance at another Cup.

St. Louis has been rumored to be after Miller...I think they need a bonafide #1, not a backup.

Colorado would want at least one of Merrill, Gelinas or Larsson. A borderline playoff team cannot give up those assets for a rental.

Maybe throw Jagr in the deal?

I know this won't be popular with people here, but, in my mind, Jagr MUST be traded this year.  It makes no sense keeping him - they're not winning the cup, he's probably gone after this year, and the team needs a 1st.

I love what Jagr has done this year, but it makes no sense from an asset management standpoint to keep him.  No sense at all.

Edited by Devilsfan118