Hedberg's future

ohms law

Rich Chere must be interviewing Hedburg right now.

https://twitter.com/#!/Ledger_NJDevils/status/160037750832242688

Johan Hedberg said he hasn't decided on his future beyond this season. If he retires, he'd like to stay in the game as a coach.

https://twitter.com/#!/Ledger_NJDevils/status/160037914603044865

About playing for the Devils next season, Hedberg said: "It's absolutely not out of the question. But it's not going to be up to me."

https://twitter.com/#!/Ledger_NJDevils/status/160038020089790464

Hedberg: "The thought of retiring hasn't taken over my world."
Edited by ohms law

I think Hedberg has another year or two in him as a backup... and if he can get some more checks while playing some hockey, I think he takes them.

I also think the Devils are done with his VERY MUCH APPRECIATED services this year though. We need our future goalies playing some games, learning from Brodeur. I think Brodeur signs a 2mm deal for a year and plays a 1A role with Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Frazee, etc playing 1B...

Hedberg is still very agile for his age. He does play a different game than Brodeur because of his size, coming further out of the crease to challenge shooters...but his quickness and recovery are better than Brodeur. He's a well conditioned athlete and can play another 2 years at least starting 21-25 games or so.

They'll be plenty of options if he decides to retire...and hopefully Marty goes too but I'm beginning to doubt it.

I'd like to have Al Montoya here next year. He's a UFA who's under tha radar...but has actually been very good playing for a garbage Islander team of late. Granted the sample size isn't huge.

Wouldn't mind a Montoya/Nittymakki rotation for next year

I wouldnt mind seeing Moose for another year. I think he has been one of the most solid backups this team has had. You can almost count on him every game and he always gives it 100%. I would just hate to see him sign for another year, and retire along side of Marty saying he retires next year also.

• Like 1

I think Brodeur signs a 2mm deal for a year and plays a 1A role with Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Frazee, etc playing 1B...

That's what I think as well (although I don't think that he'll come back for that little, but we've all been over that subject already).

then twenty each maybe ?

10 games each would be plenty.

None of those are ready to handle 40 games on the NHL level.

Agreed... but that theoretical starting point where we have a groomed successor in nets to learn from Marty has come and gone. I would really like to see Brodeur have a season with our goalies, interacting at practice with them, talking over games, etc... before Marty hangs them up.

Maybe we can keep Hedberg around as well... I would want to, if salary cap and roster cap wasn't an issue... We might just have to make it work, because I defintely wouldn't trust a goalie tandem of rookies if/when Brodeur gets injured again.

That's what I think as well (although I don't think that he'll come back for that little, but we've all been over that subject already).

I'd like 2... I could see max of 3mm. Anything more, and we push Brodeur into retirement, or see him in a different jersey for his last season unfortunately.

we also thought Henrique wouldnt be ready to handle first line duty

I knew he was /blatant lie

Regardless, Henrique is a bit different as you know. He's done a pro season and all that. But how many goalies go straight from junior to NHL? Hell, how many have in the past 20 years? Excluding Kinkaid and Wedgewood that leaves Frazee, who...hasn't exactly blown us away in recent seasons.

The only viable/realistic/sensible option is Hedberg or Brodeur + a stopgap and stash the kids in the A for next year so they can get acclimated.

That's why I mentioned Nitymaki (sp?) a few times already, as a stop gap/backup for a couple of years.

I guess that he was sent to the minors today for "conditioning" though, so I don't know how that's going to affect things.

well Fleury went straight from junior to the NHL

He didn't go straight to all star in his rookie year though. Plus he was #1 overall pick.

In any event, I'm less concerned about Marty retiring after what we have seen from Clemmensen & Hedberg over the past few seasons. Let's hope Kinkaid and Wedgewood get a shot.

If not, let's draft Anthony Brodeur in 2 years :)

well Fleury went straight from junior to the NHL

Yeah, and he posted a 3.64GAA in 22 games. Then the lock-out happened and he posted a 3.25GAA in the season after. He wasn't ready for the NHL but the Pens didn't have the expectations and situation that the Devils have now. They were rebuilding, the Devils are not.

But...OK, Fleury made the jump (and fell). That's 1. One.

Yeah, and he posted a 3.64GAA in 22 games. Then the lock-out happened and he posted a 3.25GAA in the season after. He wasn't ready for the NHL but the Pens didn't have the expectations and situation that the Devils have now. They were rebuilding, the Devils are not.

But...OK, Fleury made the jump (and fell). That's 1. One.

oh well you never said that the goalie had to jump and do great haha

but other than fleury... Roy, Barasso, Thibault, Kölzig, Fuhr, DiPietro, giguere, Fiset, Lehner, Bernier, Brodeur made the jump... but did not really did well too

For a recent goalie, think of Steve Mason, who made the jump just fine, then fell on his face for the next 3 years.

None of the Devils' minor league goalies are having the kind of season where the Devils' brass could think about using them in the NHL next year. Problem is, I don't think Hedberg's having the kind of season where they could think about that either.

You don't think that the Caps will resign Vokoun?

You don't think that the Caps will resign Vokoun?

I don't think its about the Caps. I think whichever decent team offers him the most cash and years will be the team he signs with. I think with Brodeur's $5 million coming off the cap the Devils have to be in the mix.

oh well you never said that the goalie had to jump and do great haha

but other than fleury... Roy, Barasso, Thibault, Kölzig, Fuhr, DiPietro, giguere, Fiset, Lehner, Bernier, Brodeur made the jump... but did not really did well too

I assumed that we wanted players who can do well and help the team forward. Not just throw kids in for the sake of it.

I don't think its about the Caps. I think whichever decent team offers him the most cash and years will be the team he signs with. I think with Brodeur's $5 million coming off the cap the Devils have to be in the mix.

So you think that he's just going to be a pure mercenary? Do we really want to sign that kind of player, if that's how he actually feels?

My sense though is that he's happy with the Caps, and the Caps seem to be satisfied with him, so I really don't expect him to be on the open market. That's just my guess, though.