Brodeur sort of takes a jab at the Devils

JWomp

In his post-game comments tonight, Brodeur took a bit of a shot at the Devils.

http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-5&id=691216〈=en

"We have skilled players and they make plays. So different, I've played in an organization we were pretty limited in skill, so we got the puck moving north all the time and we didn't really make plays. These guys, they're talented. They're making plays. Sometimes it's good and sometimes, well, we make mistakes, but I'm really happy with the way the boys played in front of me."

He said something we have all been saying forever....I know you just posted his quotes without comment, but really who cares. It's Marty, he'll be saying a few comments that might not people feeling good, but there is a lot of truth in the last bunch of years.

Brodeur will be seeing a lot more of that high skill out in the West.

• Like 2

god even when goes away he really doesn't shut up and go away. We had plenty of talented offensive talent in recent years (Elias, Parise, Kovy) and going back (Nieds, Mogilny) that he played with.

How about YOU make some plays as in stopping the damn puck. You have good offensive talent in front of you. And you lose again.

Reminds me of when Emmitt Smith was going against the Cowboys and called his last few seasons in Dallas as him "being the diamond in a giant turd"

.....the Cowboys proceeded to pummel him and dislocate his shoulder giving him the only injury he missed games for in his entire career :lol: .....good times B )

While he's not wrong (the last couple years anyway), was this REALLY neccesary?  

Seems like he was hurt by being replaced more than he wants to admit cause he's been jabbing us left and right since then over the last year plus.  Yeah he's still 'a Devil forever' but that doesn't mean he has the same regard for Lou he once did.  Certainly doesn't seem to have a lot of regard for Pete :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

He said nothing different than what most have said of this team for the past several years.  Matter of fact he was kinder.   What's the problem?  He says it then it is a jab bur when people say it here it is okay?    He seems pretty happy to be playing and wants to stop talking about him being a Blue.  Time for everyone to move on. 

Marty enjoy that you are playing

NASHVILLE — It took goaltender Martin Brodeur 60 weird-looking minutes in a St. Louis Blues uniform in a 4-3 loss to Nashville to realize the Devils legend was no longer in New Jersey.

“We have skilled players and they make plays. It’s so different,” Brodeur said — probably slightly jabbing his former team. “I played in an organization that we were pretty limited in skill so we got the puck moving north all the time and didn’t really make plays. These guys, they’re talented, they’re making plays. Sometimes it’s good and sometimes we make mistakes. But I’m really happy with the way the boys played in front of me.”

Maybe it was Brodeur’s subtle way of saying "I’m in a better spot than you guys … haha."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/

In his post-game comments tonight, Brodeur took a bit of a shot at the Devils.

http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-5&id=691216〈=en

"We have skilled players and they make plays. So different, I've played in an organization we were pretty limited in skill, so we got the puck moving north all the time and we didn't really make plays. These guys, they're talented. They're making plays. Sometimes it's good and sometimes, well, we make mistakes, but I'm really happy with the way the boys played in front of me."

You can't handle the truth !

Does Marty have a way of expressing himself that sometimes doesn't come off well, especially when every word is picked apart (even when what he's saying has some truth to it)?  Yes

Yeah, what he said is clearly true, especially over the past few years.  I don't hold it against him, but at the same time, I wonder how he would feel if he read this:

[imaginary article]

...Cory Schneider, despite not having always been as consistent in 2014 as he would like, is still stopping pucks at a solid .916 rate on the season, good for 17th in the NHL, and not a terrible number for a team that has clearly been struggling defensively and on the penalty kill.  Injuries have also (somewhat predictably, given the age and history of several forwards) forced the Devils to ice several different lineups. 

As one Devils player said "The last few years, for the most part, except for when Cory was in net...well, our goalies were seeing a lot of pucks get past them.  What were they, pretty much bottom of the league in save% over the last three or four years or so?  Now we have a guy who hasn't even gotten into a real groove yet, and even with that, he's still been better than what we were getting before.  It's just nice to know that when we make mistakes, the guy in net might bail us out more often than we've been used to." 

Because this is just as true as what he's saying about the Devils' lack of skill.

Really might be taken out of context. If he's talking about post-Kovy he's absolutely correct. If he's talking about his full tenure with the team he can screw off

Well post-Parise if you want to be exact cause the Kovy lockout team wasn't very good.

Yeah it wasn't particularly well worded cause Marty should know better than that.  This team HAS had a lot of skilled teams at different times during his tenure here, just not the last couple years.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Eh, he's not wrong.  Last season he probably had the least talented team he's ever had in front of him.  I don't really hold a grudge or anything.

Plus, it's Marty.  We know he speaks his mind, for better or worse.

Is this one of those things where we can crap on the team but if someone else does its somehow wrong?

While I don't think it's a big deal he said what he did, there's a difference between a couple fans speaking on a forum and Marty saying this to a bunch of reporters who will reach thousands of readers.

i sort of don't mind his comment cause it's 100% true but at the same time it's like... why did you have to go out of your way to say that again? 

Thats always the thing with Marty... since cory arrived he's been bitter and his ego got hurt its pretty damn clear. and any chance he'd have to take a little jab at the Devils he did it.

I understand sometimes that stuff players says are taken out of context and all but with Marty it doesnt seem the case. He really seem to go out of his way to say what he wants in a very passive aggressive way.

There parts of me that don't necessary believe but kind of does ( lol ) that even though Marty has been a Devils forever and wanted the best for the team, he also showed he was pretty selfish and about him... so yeah basically if he was doing good the team was doing good. Also by the way he'd never take the blame and blame others.... so basically i wouldnt be surprise if he's not secretly happy to see us struggle without him... or even when Schneider was given a start over him... i wouldnt be surprised if h was kind of hoping for schneider to do bad.

of course there's no way to know but i've played with guys like that and it sucks

I have no problem with what he said, even if it was a jab.he wanted to play, we parted ways, and he caught on somewhere else. He has every right to be at least a little pissed.

I'm not going to speculate on how pissed Marty may or may not be, but the ONLY guy who has any right to be pissed about anything that transpired re:  the goalie situation last season is Cory.  I know last season's first month or so (Marty enjoying what is likely to be the last hot streak of his career) muddled things a bit, but even when it became obvious who the better goalie was, Marty continually got this undeserved "go-to guy white knight" treatment at Cory's expense.  Even when Cory enjoyed HIS tremendous hot streak last season, I swear there were times that it felt like PDB couldn't just wait for Cory to have a bad game so he could go right back to Marty...Marty's chirping about not getting enough playing time when Cory was on that lights-out tear was getting pretty hard to take as well.  Cory got treated like he couldn't be trusted no matter what he did, while the guy who was very clearly on the decline and was prone to extended .880ish stretches seemed to have everyone's unconditional backing.  I know it was a difficult situation, but it was a farce, and I could understand completely why Cory would've been pissed.   

• Like 2

Is this one of those things where we can crap on the team but if someone else does its somehow wrong?

Good point, but then again he did it publicly. Moreover, it is different to be one of "us" dissing the "family" and and outsider doing the same. Right now MB is part of the Blues family. He won't be for long and when he finally ties everything up he will be back with us, but until then he will be viewed as an outsider. You may disagree with that concept but I can tell you it is a universal human experience. Ever complain about your mom? Of course, right? But how do you feel when someone else does it?

Edited by AEWHistory

Of course. You didn't think professional athletes were held to the same standards as random Internet commenter, did you? Screw Marty. He's absolutely correct, but he needs to shut it already.

If Brodeur played .920 hockey the last two years I wouldn't have a problem with it.  He was bad the last two years here.  And in addition he's kind of sh!tting on his new teammates too.  Haha.  St. Louis is a good market for him because he can't really put his foot in his mouth the way he inevitably would if he were playing in Canada.